Home / Letters   % width Posts: 3

Motivation letter for CSE program: "Why are you a suitable candidate?" Why CSE and what next?

kaching00 2 / 4  

Motivation letter for CSE

Dear Sir/Madam,,

My name is [name] and my aspiration to work with softwares and machine learning has led me to seek admission to the undergraduate program at XYZ in CSE.

Growing up around the emerging technologies around me, I developed an eagerness to explore the science of computers - both softwares and hardwares - and how they worked. However what truly drew me to programming wasn't just an intriguing nature; it was the striking similarity that coding held with painting. In the code compilers, I found a blank canvas to put strokes and lines of code. In programming, I found the same satisfaction accrued from creating value like I did in art.

Studying mathematics in GCE A levels, I have learned the concepts used in programming. I then supplemented my knowledge with further reading. While Cory Althoff's 'The Self-Taught Programmer' laid a foundation for coding, 'Algorithms to Live' by Brian Christian and Tom Griffiths emphasised the practical applications of computing in a social context. This deepened my interest in computer science. I have taken further these areas of importance, through online mooc courses such as Harvard's CS50 : Introduction to Computer Science.

While all these helped me improve my dexterity in programming, I developed my leadership, communication and team-oriented skills through volunteering. As a graphic designer in several non-profit youth led organisations, I have led the creative aspects of many projects, and gained invaluable insights while with others. For instance, I can express my thoughts to a wide variety of audience, similarity I'm an active listener and a keen team player. I had to be able to communicate with prospective collaborators, students and sponsors during project discussions. This also led me to design my first book cover in collaboration with Goethe-Institut.

In regards to studying at XYZ, I seek to combine all the knowledge I have gathered over the years and try to deepen my understanding of computer science and engineering. Alongside providing a strong foundation in computer science, XYZ will allow me to explore a culturally rich community. With almost 117 nationalities making up the student body, I will be exposed to a diverse and multidimensional learning environment. Courses, for instance, Computer Aided Mathematics and Machine Learning In Practice, will provide me with a fundamental understanding of the algorithms and 3D Modelling and Printing will help me understand prototyping product permutations. XYZ's strengths in research, coupled with its academic rigour and diversity, makes it the perfect place for me.

Programming is where I get to explore both being an engineer and an artist. There's an incredible, rigorous, technical element to it, which I like because you have to do very precise thinking. On the other hand, it has a wildly creative side where the boundaries of imagination are the only limitation.

I intend to hone my problem solving skills, gain insightful experience and use my knowledge acquired through this program to solve the existing problems with the help of AI in my country. As [my country's name] is investing more in digital development, this program will prepare me to contribute to the growing sphere of technology here. Through my learning experience I have realised computer science can be challenging: nevertheless once given the chance, I know I have the motivation and capacity to succeed in this rewarding vocation.

Kind regards.

Please let me know if the flow is good/where it can be improved. Does it answer why I want to study cse, why I chose the university, and what will I do with my education afterwards? Does it paint the picture of a suitable candidate? All the insights are very appreciated. Thank you for helping me out!
Growing up around the emerging technologies around me,

This does not make you sound special. This is an ordinary reason that can be used by any young person interested in enrolling in CSE. Had you shown and interest in basic engineering or indicated an early training and foundation in coding, software development, and hardware technology, the paragraph might have become more interesting.

I then supplemented my knowledge with further reading.

The reviewer will take note in your self taught exposure but, will give little stake to it. Further out of classroom training and hands on exposure will be the factors that set you apart from the other applicants. Who you read and what you learned will not be as impressive as what courses you attended during your spare time and what accomplishments you achieved beyond the classroom education setting.
monicaaa0017 7 / 15  
the overall presentation is pretty good. It is well organized. However, I think you should add more about your professional jobs or your volunteer activity as this will strengthen your essay. Elaborate more what kind of activity that relate to the course or how it has prepared you for the course.

Hope it helps

Home / Letters / Motivation letter for CSE program: "Why are you a suitable candidate?" Why CSE and what next?