Home / Letters   % width Posts: 2

MOtivation Letter for Erasmus Mundus Image Processing and Computer Vision Program 2019

khushsingh94 1 / -  
Erasmus Mundus Master Program in Image Processing and Computer Vision requires two separate motivation letters, one for the IPCV program and one for Erasmus Mundus scholarship.

Below I have written my motivation letter for the IPCV programme. Please review this one and guide me on how to write motivation letter for Erasmus Mundus scholarship so it can be different from the motivation letter for the IPCV program like what different points should I cover in it and what points can remain same. Thank You.

MOTIVATION LETTER FOR THE IPCV PROGRAMME

Dear Members of the Selection Committee,

First of all, I would like to express my gratitude for this wonderful opportunity to apply to Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree in Image Processing and Computer Vision. I am currently enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student in Punjab Engineering College (Deemed to be University), India and pursuing Bachelors of Technology in Electronics and Communication Engineering.

I have been a meticulous student since my childhood and always had an interest in the advanced technologies around the world and wanted to innovate something which could help the society. In pursuit of this dream, I studied hard and achieved a rank in top 99 percentile out of the 1.5 million students in Joint Entrance Examination to secure an admission in my current institute. The undergraduate curriculum of Electronics and Communication Engineering helped me in building a strong academic background to be successful in this master degree. Various courses like Computer Programming Basic; Microprocessor and Applications; Information Technology in Engineering; Computer Architecture and Embedded Systems helped me in developing strong programming skills. Courses on Signals and Systems; Digital Signal Processing and Digital Image Processing helped me develop an understanding in image/signal processing whereas courses like Mathematics - I and Vector Calculus, Fourier Series and Laplace Transform strengthened my Mathematics knowledge.

As a part of my undergraduate degree curriculum I did a six months internship as a Research Trainee at CSIR - Central Scientific Instruments Organisation, India under the guidance of Dr Shashi Poddar. It was during my internship I got my first exposure to the field of image processing and computer vision. I was assigned a project on "Multiple Object Tracking at Traffic Intersection". Being a novice in this subject I spent initial weeks at internship understanding the fundamentals of image processing from the basics. It was a new subject for me at that time and I found it very interesting. I was fascinated by the number of applications that can be build using image processing and computer vision and it was then the thought of pursuing a masters degree in this field first struck me. During the course of the internship, I read a number of research papers on traffic monitoring and other computer vision areas by eminent researchers and it widened my curiosity and interest even further. This curiosity and passion helped me in developing a new technique to handle the problem of vehicle occlusion (i.e. when one vehicle overlaps the view of another vehicle in the field of view of the surveillance camera) in traffic monitoring using a feature classification method. With the help of my mentor, I submitted a research paper to "Pattern Recognition and Image Analysis" journal which is currently under the review process. Being able to develop a novel technique on my own further strengthened my resolve of pursuing masters in Image Processing and Computer Vision.

While searching for masters programs in this field I came to know about IPCV program. On researching further about this program I was attracted by the curriculum of the program which covers a broad spectrum of courses from basics to complex topics in the field of IPCV and also has dedicated courses on research and practical experience. The instructors teaching these courses are also experts in this field and it will be an honour for me to learn from the likes of Dr Peter Szolgay, Dr Gábor Szederkényi, Dr José M. Martínez, Dr Juan Carlos SanMiguel Avedillo, Dr Jenny Benois-Pineau and Dr Vincent Lepetit to name a few among the brilliant set of faculty for the program. Moreover, the mobility scheme gives an opportunity to learn at not one but three prestigious universities across Europe which will definitely help me in building strong professional and academic connections and explore the work culture of different countries. The training period in the 4th semester is also a fascinating element of this program which will help me to gain professional experience in this field and get accustomed to the international standards being followed in the computer vision industry.

India as a country is known for its diversity. In India, if you travel 500 kilometres in any direction you will meet people with entirely different cultures and languages. My experience of living in a diversity of people will help me to build strong relationships with the students from all over the world with different backgrounds. It will also help me to learn a lot from my peers belonging to the top of their respective cohorts. Moreover my experiences in various areas whether it might be as the captain of my school volleyball team or leader of my college's bhangra (Indian dance form) team or volunteering for a social cause organisation or organizing the college's annual techno-cultural fest, have helped me develop as an individual and inculcate in me the qualities of teamwork, sincerity, perseverance and self-discipline. I believe that all everything I learned from these holistic life experiences will also help me in the two-year journey of the master degree program. The IPCV program will help me gain academic and practical experience which will be crucial for my success in this field and will open many doors of opportunity to realize my dream of innovating something for the society.

With all of my experience listed, I believe that I am ready to take my career to the next level with graduate studies in this program. The subjects offered in this program are specifically in line with my professional goals. I am certain that the knowledge and skills learnt from my professional experience, university, and extracurricular activities would make me a valuable addition to the IPCV Program. I will be happy to provide any further information or documents if required. I look forward to your positive response. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
Khushpreet Singh
This is a personal statement. Not a letter of motivation. The letter of motivation in this instance should focus on how you developed an interest in IPCV based on your undergraduate and professional exposure to the system. Try to think about your vision for IPCV. What is that vision? What skills do you think you need to develop to attain that vision? Why do you believe that this vision or belief of yours is the future of IPCV? The motivating factor needs to represent your idealism with regards to the contribution this technology can deliver in the future. Think of your professional goals as part of the motivating factor. Why are you motivated to improve your skills in this profession? What personal or professional experience motivated your desire to attend higher studies ? Clarify the motivation for your interest in this particular course. Don't try to pile all of your information into this essay. There will be other prompts that will allow you to highlight all of the information you overloaded into this one. Stick to a motivating factor discussion in this essay.

Don't try to deliver the statement of purpose along with this essay, which is what accidentally happened with the current essay. Remember, motivation is all about presenting your action, willingness, and goals. This essay is more of a backgrounder regarding who you are. It has very little to do with motivating factors in the sense of the word.Try to professionalize the presentation by focusing on motivating factors instead of academic and practical skills in relation to your chosen masters course. This is not the essay for that presentation. Save those for the statement of purpose.

Needless to say, you have to write a new essay that will be based on the guide questions I provided. Those questions should help you get on track towards a proper motivation discussion in the essay. It should help you create a more usable draft essay for further improvement.

Home / Letters / MOtivation Letter for Erasmus Mundus Image Processing and Computer Vision Program 2019