Home / Letters   % width Posts: 4

Letter of Motivation for a graduate study In Advance Clay Science

raxymoo 1 / 2  
LETTER OF MOTIVATION - ANGENU ALBERT BORKETEY

The greatest turning point in my academic life was when I became informed about the vast and varied deposit of clay with their enormous uses in my country through an Environmental Studies class in the cause of my junior high education. This motivated me to devote myself in acquiring in-depth study into clay and other earthy materials at the senior high level of my education. Amazingly, my devotion to study in this area brought me the most thrilling experience to pursue Bachelor of Art degree in Industrial Art.

During the first year of my undergraduate studies, introductory courses including Ceramics, Metals Product Design and Textiles were treated for one major area to be chosen for three years of in-depth study. A choice to further my knowledge in the study of ceramics, which was comprehensive and stimulating enabled me to graduate with First Class Honors. Most of the modules in the study area were not only demanding but also inducing to a curious mind, these includes; Ceramic Raw Materials, Chemistry, Colloid Chemistry in Ceramics, Ceramic Phase Equilibria, Ceramic Bodies, Ceramic processing methods, Building Material Technology, and Refractory Technology. The study of these courses enhanced my knowledge on materials such as Primary and Secondary Clays where students were assigned to research into local Clays; Feldspars, Clinker, Gypsum, Alumina, Bauxite, Limestone, Flint Clays, Bentonite which is under the Montmorillonite group (old group name superseded by smectite) and many more.

The focus of my training was keenly on earthy materials and preparation processes for the building construction sector with much emphasis on the ceramic and cement industry. Throughout the programme, I recognized critical problems facing these industries in Ghana and some neighboring countries. Since the establishment of Cement industries in Ghana, major raw material such as Clinker and Gypsum for production has always been imported. This has led to Constant raise in the price of cement and other concrete material for construction, making building and other developmental projects in Ghana expensive, hence people cannot afford whilst the population keep increasing. The prices had been on the increase, especially from freight charges. As these problems exist, there is a vast deposit of these materials in the country for production. It is my quest to acquire the necessary knowledge and sharpen my research skills in Geomaterials, Civil engineering, Environment, Soil and Geological systems to help combat this problem by vividly investigating and bringing out real solutions and development to the main materials for the production and other alternative materials in the country. These I believe will integrate the industry more into the domestic economy with its benefits and also help to meet the dramatic, ever-growing local demands for cement and other construction raw materials. An opportunity to enroll in this programme will also enable me to acquire in-depth knowledge and research into pozzolanic properties of clay and other raw materials to contribute significantly to the new birth of Pozzolana Cement in Ghana which was introduced by the Late Dr Alex Ampem Hammond by his research carried in 1990 through the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research in Accra.

Throughout my studies and research processes I have always admired and taken Albert Mauritz Atterberg an Advance Clay Scientist as a mentor for his immense contribution in the study area for designating a series of test used for identifying, describing, and classifying fine-grain soil. His contributions influenced me to seek further knowledge and research skills through an internship with Building and Road Research Institute in Kumasi in the course of June to July 2007. During this period I began to appreciate the contribution of Advance Clay science in the development of a nation and their enormous economic importance to the global construction industry. This boosted my interest to play roles which includes researching into various local clays and composing Clay bodies for brick and roofing tile production. The processes in carrying out these roles made me more curious and heightened my quest for further pursuit of familiarity in modern research practices in Advance clay science.

I desired to apply for the----------------- due to the opportunities provided for students to have rich and robust professional practice and research skills which suits my career aims to demonstrate high level of research, planning, resourcing, implementation and evaluation in the cement and ceramic industry and the prestige attached to the participating universities under the consortium; adequate linguistic expertise which will position me at an international level of the field of study. More so, the compulsory mobility will permit me to have an international exposure to tour countries I have always long to visit. More reasons are the scholarships offered by -------------, which is a financial relief for brilliant students therefore offering the opportunity to pursue academic, social and career goals and the multiple degrees which is awarded after successful completion of the programme.

In conclusion, I look forward to exchanging my Cultural experiences, tradition and practices with students in Europe and from other countries.
freewriter86 - / 1  
Based on your choice of words, you have demonstrated that you have the ability to make an A+. However its not catchy enough. Too many long sentences. I was almost out of breath after reading the first sentence. I lost interest very quickly and decided to just scan through it. Heres a little tip.. read aloud in a room alone several times, and picture yourself as the judge. How would you rate this writer. Good Luck, and never give up!!! Keep writing..
OP raxymoo 1 / 2  
Thank you Tiffany for your suggestion. I will keep trying till I hit the notch.
This motivated me to devote myself in acquiring acquire in-depth knowledge of clay and other earthy materials at the senior high level of my education.----"devote myself in" did not sound right.

Amazingly It's not amazing that devotion led to thrilling experience. Try not to use too many adverbs.
My devotion to study in this area brought me the most thrilling experience to pursue Bachelor of Art degree in Industrial Art.

It is my quest---er... maybe a little too dramatic.

More reasons are the scholarships offered by -------------, ---this part does not seem to make sense, and I don't know how to fix it! :-/

... financial relief for brilliant students therefore offering the opportunity to pursue academic, social and career goals and the multiple degrees which is are awarded after successful completion of the programme.

Other than this, I don't have any complaints about it! Your writing shows how intelligent you are. :-)

Home / Letters / Letter of Motivation for a graduate study In Advance Clay Science