Home / Letters   % width Posts: 2

Motivation letter for a Master degree in English Linguistics.

Abderr12 1 / -  

applying for the Master program in English Linguistics

I would like to apply for a master degree in English Linguistics, and I really want you to give me your feedback concerning this motivation letter.

Dear sir or madam,
My name is Abderrahim. I have a Bachelor in English studies and a major in Applied language studies. I am writing to apply for the Master program in.............. at ....... university for the 2019 winter term.

Frankly, I believe that people can only success or be very successful in things that they like so much, and linguistics is the field which I really like to study and I am eager to learn more and more about it. I would really like to acquire a very strong grasp and more skills in the field of linguistics. In fact, the Linguistics Master will provide me with a full understanding of the basis of scientific methods and theories in the field of linguistics and will expand my knowledge in linguistics. Also, it will prepare me for any independent or collaborative research. Therefore, I feel that the only place where I can gain all these qualifications together is at..... University due to its longstanding international reputation.

During the three years of my bachelor, I have discovered that I somehow like languages and I have a passion for languages. I enjoyed my English classes; However, Linguistics classes were very enjoyable and interesting for me. I was very keen to know how languages are different from each other in terms of structure and meaning. Also, their original roots from the language family or the language tree. Because of all these interests, I used to attend a very good subject called translation in which we discuss how we can translate a certain language into English. As a result of that, I chose syntax as a subject for my research and I got a very good mark on it. In addition to this, I used to teach people grammar trying to simplify and explain rules in an easy way to them. I was very fascinated by all what I learned from different modules such as general linguistics, grammar, translation ,and psycholinguistics. Therefore I decided to continue my studies in the field of linguistics in order to develop my knowledge.

Many reasons, indeed, made me choose to study at ....... university in order to achieve my goals,but Three of which are.
1...............................................................................................
2......................................................................................
3......................................................................................

I understand that studying abroad is going to be the most challenging step in my life so far, but I also believe I can withstand any problems I will face and make the most of knowledge and experience gained through this study. In conclusion, I would like to say that I am motivated to take the MA in English Linguistics at ...., since the English department has some highly experienced members of staff. Also, the MA program will allow me to broaden my understanding and deepen more in the field of linguistics.

I hope that you will consider my application favorably and I hope that my application will have a positive outcome as I look forward to your answer.

Best regards,
Abderrahim
Abderrahim, your approach to writing this motivational letter sounds too elementary. It is almost as if you ar writing a third grade paper on why you like learning about langusges. It lacks a professional and high level of writing / collelege level discussion regarding your motivation to study this masters degree. Your motivation needs to be profession based. You need to offer a solid professional goal a part of your motvation. Therefore, the discussion should only be focused on explaining what improvements you seek to make in the study of linguistics in your country along with its professional applications. Use the short form of the presentation. The lenghty and more intricate presentation should be in the sop. This is extremely wordy but doesn't really hihlight the reasons for your motivation.

As for your motivation for your choice of university, make sure that you are not using commonly known ffacts about the university, but that your decision was based on your academic needs and professional training requirements. Make the motivation for your university choice simple in this letter. The deeper discussion about that should be either in the personal statement or statement of purpose. At this point, it would be best if you write a totally new essay for your university application instead based on the guidelines I gave you.

Home / Letters / Motivation letter for a Master degree in English Linguistics.