Home / Letters   % width Posts: 2

Motivation Letter for Master Degree at RWTH Aachen - Software Systems Engineering

dzakybd 1 / -  

"Thinking of the future"

To whom it may concern,

I am writing to apply for the Master's degree program Software Systems Engineering at RWTH Aachen University. I would like to express my appreciation for this opportunity.

Being an Indonesia's scholar, it gives me a responsibility to continue my study, to develop my knowledge and skill. So, I can bring better impact to my country. Thus, I really want to continue my study at RWTH Aachen University, because It will provide more insight into the knowledge and application of technology in a developed country, widespread opportunities to get global community relationships, getting advanced knowledge that supports my study.

RWTH Aachen University becomes my main consideration because it's among Top 100 World University Rankings 2018. It's the largest technical university in Germany and maintains close links to world-class industry. The university is also a member of TU9, DFG and IDEA League. By winter semester of 2017/18, it has more than nine thousand international students from 131 countries. So, I'm sure that RWTH Aachen University can support a student from developing country like me to achieve more and brings benefit to my homeland country.

RWTH Aachen University's motto is Zukunft denken, it means "Thinking of the future". It represented by its curriculum, like in the Software Systems Engineering master degree. It has many advanced modules in computer science and information technology like Advanced Machine Learning, Advanced Virtual Reality, etc. This program allows a student to adjust the courses by student's needs and interest. This program also focuses on the design and implementation of complex software systems.

Currently, I'm on my undergraduate final year and I'll be finished it in July 2018. I take Informatics Engineering at Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember in Surabaya, Indonesia. My undergraduate study briefly learns combination between computer science, software design, and project management. I'm sure what I've learned are applicable to Software Systems Engineering program.

Since the beginning of my study, I am committed to equipping myself with qualified competencies and continuously develop my knowledge and skill. I study hard, it is proven by my high GPA score, it's 3.71 of 4.00. I participate in extracurricular to learn to collaborate, that is I became the coordinator of a national seminar of technology, and active staff in the informatics engineering student association. I followed competitions like Indonesia Information and Communication Technology Award, so I able to compete and improve my ability. I was involved in some incubator like StartSurabaya Startup Incubator and ITS Technology Incubator, application developer job in 18th Asian Games and local government offices, and internship in Chevron Pacific Indonesia so I can learn to work professionally and knowing what in industry need.

I understand the challenges, if I get this program. First, foreign language challenge, how I can over it is by learning English all this time, and I will get the IELTS test in April 2018. After that, I'll start learning Deutsch. Second, it will be culture and new place adaptation challenge, it won't be a problem for me because I am easy to adapt. Moreover, Aachen is a multicultural city, many international students from around the world, it will be a nice place to make a relation.

Thank you very much for considering my request. I look forward to your positive response.

22 February 2018

Dzaky Zakiyal Fawwaz
Master degree applicant
Email: xxx
Phone: xxx
Dzaky, I read your letter from paragraph to paragraph, till the very end and I did not come across your personal, academic, and motivational reasons for your interest in this masters degree. A motivation letter needs to answer one question "Why?" The essay that you wrote spoke of your strengths and interests, but you did not represent the "Why" as the motivational interest. You need to represent only 3 goals in this letter as I previously mentioned; personal, academic, and professional. 3 paragraphs that explain each topic as the "Why" for your motivation. Without that response, this is nothing more than a personal statement. the letter does not fully explain your motivation and cannot help your application for acceptance to the university. Try to find a strong motivating factor for your interest in advanced studies even as you have yet to complete your undergraduate degree. What did you learn as an undergraduate that motivated you to immediately pursue a masters course instead of going into the professional field to develop experience first?

Home / Letters / Motivation Letter for Master Degree at RWTH Aachen - Software Systems Engineering