Home / Letters   % width Posts: 2

Motivation letter for a master program called English linguistics in Tübingen Germany

simogr 1 / -  
i would like to have your remarks on this motivation letter and thanks in advance

study in Germany

Dear Madam or Sir,
Growing up in Morocco, a major epicenter of linguistic diversity, was the first happening that sparked my interest and fascination of the study of language. Since then, I have decided to dedicate my academic carrier to exploring the hidden assets behind it. I am a graduate student with a B.A in English Studies focus on linguistics. In the process of searching for my dream master program, I scrambled across the Master program English linguistics offered at The University of Tübingen, and I should say that I was enticed by the program's interdisciplinary dimension and suitability for my carrier to become a forensic Linguist. Furthermore, the program would be a gateway for me to extend and fortify competencies I have accrued in my bachelor degree. By reading the curriculum provided on the university's website, including descriptive linguistics, linguistic methodology coupled with interdisciplinary extensions, I concluded that the program is perfectly compatible with my previous studies and my ambitions.

The undergraduate curriculum in English Linguistics, Sidi Mohammed Ben Abdellah University, opened the door for me to a wide variety of branches within the realm of linguistics. Modules like applied linguistics, general linguistics, sociolinguistics, and semantics, helped me establish a strong foundation, as well as sharpened my knowledge of this discipline regarding issues of first/second language learning, contrastive analysis, descriptive and prescriptive linguistics, language and class, sense relations, denotational and representational theories of reference. In semester five, my acquired competences have been put to use, inasmuch as my professors would assign me tasks to gather students of different backgrounds and ethnic groups in my class to experiment on their linguistic divergences. In the same semester, I have had the luxury of getting introduced to the module research methodology, which equipped me with the necessary means which I am eager to invest in my master thesis. Moreover, my teaching experience with the Moroccan association of teachers of English was a stepping-stone that enriched my understanding of the problems faced by second language learners.

The combination of empirical research and theoretical modelling, let alone the cross-linguistic and interdisciplinary approaches, that the University of Tübingen offers, are particularly motivating for me, for they would inculcate in me a comprehensive grasp of the field. For my graduate research project, I would like to investigate the controversy of infant language acquisition, using empirical methods to contribute to the unsolved questions, pertaining to how are infants able to learn languages. A considerable number of infants fail to acquire their first languages due to some neurological disorders. Through Tübingen University's exceptional research facilities, as well as the international reputation that the university enjoys in the department of linguistics, I can contribute to the on-going dilemmas linguistics is trying to solve. In addition, I can expose what I have learned from books of noted linguists such as, Noam Chomsky, peter Trudgill, and the others.

My ambition to study in Germany stems from the dearth of equally, inclusive master programs offered in Morocco. That is to say that, the betterment of linguistics studies in Morocco will demand fully-fledged linguists. With this degree, I would like to meet this demand and, as I mentioned earlier, this degree will be a stepping-stone to achieve my professional dream of being a forensic linguist. Furthermore, my rich extracurricular activities would allow to better adapt to the international environment of the master program, since I have participated in a decent number of international event as listed in my CV. I would like also to draw your attention to the fact that I learned German in a private school. Learning intensively for six months, I reached a B1 proficiency and I am capable of communicating effectively with German. My German linguistic skills will facilitate my daily life and administrative requirements at the University of Tübingen. In that respect, I am planning to take German class to enhance my level to be even better acquainted with the German culture.

Given the compatibility of my academic career with the offered master program alongside my eagerness to enrich my deep-rooted interest in Linguistics, I am convinced that the knowledge and skills learned from professional experience, university, extracurricular activities would make me a valuable addition to the master program English linguistics offered at Tübingen University. With my deep appreciation and recognition of the quality of your university's programs, I hope you will give my application every consideration.

Yours sincerely,
Mohammed Gouriach
Your motivation letter should accomplish a clear goal, that is, to explain why you decided to study English linguistics in Germany. It does not require your academic background. Rather, it demands that you inform the reviewer, in short form, about the reasons why you decided to take on this masters course. Aside from your desire to become a Forensic Linguist, what other factors motivated your decision?

The motivating factors need to cover your desire to develop yourself on a personal basis, through your immersion in German culture and, your academic interest in pursuing an understanding of the history of the German language. Bear in mind that your studies can and should also cover the linguistic type of country that Germany is. They speak West Germanic, Northern Low Saxon, Low German, English, Dutch, Afrikaans, and Frisian. So your motivation to study there, based on an academic goal, should relate to the varied languages that you can learn about aside from English Linguistics. If you show that you have a varied interest in languages motivating your desire to study in Germany, allowing English to only be the main focus of your studies, the motivation aspect should become stronger in your letter.

Home / Letters / Motivation letter for a master program called English linguistics in Tübingen Germany