Home / Letters   % width Posts: 3

Motivation letter for masters in Photonics; collaboration with several leading European universities

Luckshadi 1 / 1  
Dear all,

I'm applying for a Master program in Photonics and would be really grateful if you can correct or give advise on my motivation letter below.

Thanks in advance!

To whom it may Concern,

I'm writing to express my sincere gratitude for giving me the opportunity to explain my motivations through a letter for the Master study program of Europhotonics with collaboration of several leading universities in Europe.

From a very young age I was fascinated by unseen things and I had an unquenchable thirst to know more and more of the Atomic world. I loved everything about Chemistry and Quantum physics because they seemed to me as the foundations behind every scientific theory. Marie Curie, Neils Bohr & Max Planck were my heroes back then and I was really touched by the experiments they had carried out centuries ago. When I first learned the construction of a transistor in high school electronic class, I started to develop research interests unknowingly towards semiconductor electronics. As I realized later, it was due to the close relation between properties of material with my favorite subject Quantum physics. I found my imaginations flows effortlessly to the atomic level and this power of imagination made those completely new concepts unchallenging for me.

Due to my performance in Advance Level examination, I got selected to Faculty of Engineering Ruhuna, one of the best three Engineering faculties in Sri Lanka and was specialized in the field of Electrical & Information. since there weren't any majors in Electronics field. However I managed to retain my interest in electrical field thanks to the common building block of 'electron'. The word Current is not just a word for me but a flow of lively electrons. During undergraduate studies, I came across the technique of hologram when searching for an exhibit idea, and I believe that was the first seed of my curiosity towards photonics. A mere ray of light able to do miracles has caught my attention. Even though I couldn't succeed in making the exhibit at that time my interest towards photonics grew further from that day onward.

After graduation I decided to serve my country before continuing higher education. Starting from 2012 January until today I'm serving my best for lighting up my country as an Electrical Engineer. These engineering positions significantly strengthened my leadership and communication skills, as I had to deal with people at different levels while handling strict deadlines. Starting my career as a site engineer also gave me a big strength in working under high pressure environments as well as speed decision making. Through these positions I learned a lot about myself, I developed a passion for being an agent of change. It helped me to be able to gain a firmer understanding of my own strengths and weaknesses and grow personally and professionally.

However my interest in photonics could not be refrained and I used to read almost every article in IEEE magazines and joined several societies to get updated on recent discoveries. My intuitive nature and open mindedness, allows me to see things from unconventional perspectives and these personalities helped me to dig deeper in to the field of photonics. I never wanted to enroll in just any Master study program unless it fits best to my interest. After thinking long and hard I realized Photonics is the best field for me to continue higher education.

Honestly I do not have any materialistic goal to achieve other than to serve for wellbeing of every flora & fauna through utilizing my interests. I just want to blend my will power with my interest in photonics to do innovations in an echo friendly manner. Recent development in the field of bio photonics has captivated my interest most and I see lot of potential for me to engage in research activities in manipulating constant and continuous energy changes in living part of a cell.

Now I am at an important juncture in my academic career, where I am aspiring to develop knowledge and skills that would allow me to grow intellectually. Unfortunately there were no Masters programs in photonics in Sri Lanka and this lead me to search for good programs abroad. Thus, I am applying for 'Europhotonics-POESII Master in Photonics '. The course content which is an excellent blend of Photonics Engineering, Biomedical Imaging, Quantum Optics, Laser Optics, Optics for Astronomy, Nanophotonics & Biophotonics matched ideally with my dream master's program since I strongly believe to discover something innovative one need to correlate various disciplines. Even though multidisciplinary sciences demands lot of efforts to be familiar with many different fields, I hope I will eventually learn a lot of things to survive and flourish in my field of research in future.

Furthermore I would be very grateful to be considered for a scholarship since I am not in a position to finance my studies & accommodation in abroad. I can assure you that I can live up to the standards of your expectations.

Thank you for considering my application, and I look forward to hear a favorable reply from you.
thaobui1907 2 / 4 2  
I think this is a good POS. However, the main weakness is that you focused too much on academic ideas and did not mention anything related to personal favor, social activities, volunteer works or soft skills.

I believe those things are important.
OP Luckshadi 1 / 1  
Thank you very much thaobui1907 for your generous ideas. Now I see, I have neglected something important. Thanks again for the the help!

Home / Letters / Motivation letter for masters in Photonics; collaboration with several leading European universities