Home / Letters   % width Posts: 2

Motivation letter for MSc in Business Analytics

fiorepaola 1 / -  
Hi,
Would someone be so kind to review my motivation letter for a Master of Science in Business Analytics?
Thank you!

letter of Motivation

Dear Sir, Madam,

I would like to express my interest in applying for the Master of Science in Business Analytics at the University of Abc. I hold a Bachelor's degree in Architecture and for the past two years have been working in operations and project management with a focus on data analytics.

My undergraduate studies in Architecture helped me develop critical thinking skills and trained me to apply this skill set to solve complex problems. While I was less inclined towards the design aspect of the course, I excelled in other classes such as Urbanism, which required data collection, analytical work and communication. By the time I finished my studies, I decided to shift away from Architectural design to explore other career paths in which I could apply these skills.

In the following years I had the opportunity to work in very diverse projects in project management support roles. One of the most enriching experiences in my career was when I worked for an infrastructure project's public consultation. I was responsible for the concept and implementation of an online platform used to collect data of citizens' mobility habits. I defined what kind of information was useful for our project and tailored the questions to collect it. I then determined the parameters to analyze the raw data, identified patterns on the use of transport, built heritage, public space and green space affected by the project. I used the findings to make recommendations to improve the project and elaborated an interactive map to visualize the geospatial data, which helped me present the information to the stakeholders. Thanks to this experience, I realized the potential that data and technology has to generate greater value in infrastructure projects, both for the government and for society.

My interest in data's different applications only grew after I joined Xyz as a portfolio intern. Xyz is a data-driven organization and I quickly learned how to use the corporate databases to analyze, predict and improve our project operations. I self-learned to make queries and I prepared procurement reports with the retrieved data. These reports helped the operations team monitor the balance of purchase orders more efficiently and identify procurement trends, as well as to forecast our project's expenditure more accurately and adapt our procurement plans to it. Similarly, I use queries to extract project expenditure data and complete the quarterly project financial reconciliation by analyzing project transactions and identifying gaps in business accounts. Working for the past year in project operations has also helped me build a strong foundation in management and finance concepts and tools.

After more than two years working in project management support, I now aspire to pursue a career in a Project Management Office (PMO). This role requires systematic analysis of large and complex project data to monitor processes, identify bottlenecks and make strategic decisions, and while I have gained first hand experience in project management, I lack formal academic training in programming and quantitative methods. I am very interested in this Master's program because its core courses will give me a comprehensive understanding of analytics that, in combination with the business concentration elective courses, will build on the practical knowledge I acquired before and equip me with the skills necessary to succeed in a PMO role. Finally, having started my career in Xyz, I am confident that the University of Abc's strong links with international organizations will provide me with excellent career opportunities to continue growing in international development and in line with my professional aspirations.
In the following years I had the opportunity to work

This paragraph is more geared towards a statement of purpose rather than a motivation letter since it describes the skills you have which make you qualified for the program. The statement of purpose needs this information to highlight your professionally developed skills in relation to the future purpose of your studies. This is not motivational in content.

I realized the potential ... and for society.

This is certainly a motivational point that should be highlighted. It should not be a closing reference in any paragraph. This is the topic sentence upon which your diversified motivations should be based upon and presented.

Xyz is a data-driven organization and I quickly learned how to use the corporate databases

Again, not a motivational statement. It should be removed in totality. You are mixing the statement of purpose with the statement of motivation. Making it unnecessarily long and irrelevant to the focus of the letter.

Home / Letters / Motivation letter for MSc in Business Analytics