Home / Letters   % width Posts: 3

Letter of motivation for Msc environmental risk and human security

johnsavy 1 / 1  
Requirements - A written statement, describing motivation, area of proposed research, background, past work in the intended field of study, plans for further postgraduate study and any other information that is relevant.

TO THE ADMISSIONS COMMITTEE

The industrial development of oil field in Nigeria began in 1956 and ever since, the environment, social-economic and health status of humans has been threatened by the negative consequences of oil development especially in the crude oil rich zone of the Niger Delta. For instance, more than 6000 separate crude oil spills have occurred between 1970 and 2009 in Ogoniland area of the Niger Delta that resulted in massive contamination of soils, surface and groundwater systems, and vital ecosystems such as the mangroves. In 2011, the United Nations Environmental Programme (UNEP) submitted a formal report to the government of Nigeria on the environmental assessment of oil-impacted sites in the region of Ogoniland detailing the extent and level of oil contamination and its impact on public health. Also, the report estimates that the overall cleanup and recovery of the contaminated region could take over 30 years.

In 2016, the government of Nigeria initiated the Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Project (HYPREP) to clean up oil contamination in Ogoniland and provide welfare for the people affected. In executing the UNEP Report, HYPREP engaged a number of qualified companies to carry out update on baseline data of the UNEP Report. The company I work for (Vic-Eleon Synergy Solutions) is an environmental management consulting firm that provides specialized professional geologic, hydrogeologic and environmental services and was engaged by HYPREP alongside other companies. Being a geologist, I was included in the team to lead the work stream to carry out environmental assessment on the current level of impact of crude oil spillage in 5 Ogoni communities by collecting soil, surface and groundwater samples for further investigation. Some of the key findings from our investigation showed that the main sources of drinking water in those communities are severely contaminated. For instance, in one of the groundwater system investigated in Ogale community in Ogoniland, result showed concentration of total petroleum hydrocarbon (TPH) reaching 800,000 micrograms per litre in the water as compared to the European Union standard limit of 300 micrograms per litre, indicating serious risk to public health. In response to this, emergency measures in providing potable water prior to the remediation exercise were carried out to provide immediate relief to people who had no access to potable water as a result of the oil pollution. My main task during the project was to lead a unit consisting of 10 members from several fields relating to the environment to develop and refine a conceptual site model taking into account the assessment results, site geologic and hydrogeologic conditions, nature, distribution and severity of pollutant that will guide the design and execution of remediation exercise. The remediation project is currently on going and under the supervision of HYPREP.

Furthermore, being a developing country, Nigeria is vulnerable to climate change issues. Major country-specific effects of climate change in Nigeria ranges from incessant flooding, extreme weather events, biodiversity loss, drying of lakes, increased natural disaster, among others. Presently, the country has a population of 203 million and with a growth rate of 2.8 percent, population is expected to exceed 300 million in 2050. In the face of increasing population, climate change and improper management of the environment and its resources, it is imperative now than ever for appropriate preventive action and adaptation measures to be implemented timely and sustainably as these combined factors poses major threats to the environment and to humans as well.

The advent of studies on environmental risks and human security demonstrates a significant turning point in achieving environmental and human protection. My decision to pursue graduate study in Geography of Environmental Risks and Human Security stems from the inner drive to provide sustainable solutions to current environmental issues. The role of geosciences in solving environmental issues has always fascinated me. My areas of strength during my undergraduate studies in geology also guided me in making this choice; using my good grades in courses like "Environmental geology," "Hydrogeology," and "Geochemistry" as pointers to the fact that I will blend in perfectly. As part of my undergraduate studies, I carried out a research project on "Geochemical distribution of some heavy metals in soils from Njuk-ika and its environs" and wrote a special paper on "Solid waste classification and management" under the supervision of Dr. XXX. And in graduate school, I will like to carry out research projects along the line of "Exploring sustainable surface and ground water systems management options for climate change adaptation." The consistency in training and practice I have been involved in through academic work and professional experience of over three years has not only provided a solid foundation for me in the field of environment but also imbued in me invaluable skills to approach environmental issues towards the concept of sustainable development. Through my experiences, both at the academic and professional level, I got the opportunity to understand environmental problems relating to waste, land, and water and also elucidated the situation of rural people affected by these problems more closely and what their basic needs are and I would like to acquire up to date skills in tackling these issues.

The reputation of XXX University and University of XXX has always preceded it, especially in the field of environment, sustainability, human security and in quality research projects. The XXX University currently ranks among the world best Government-Affiliated Think Tanks and the University of XXX, currently ranked 9 in Germany and 105 in the World by the Times Higher Education; I consider both the most suitable institution for me to achieve my educational aspirations. As such, I have selected to apply for the International Joint MSc Programme in Geography of Environmental Risks and Human Security offered jointly by XXX University and the University of XXX. I am drawn to XXX University and University of XXX for several reasons. Firstly, the curriculum is appealing to me because of its emphasis on "Geographical approaches to risk, vulnerability and resilience," "Earth system science," "Risk management and governance, forecast and prediction," "Disaster management, disaster risk reduction (DRR) and humanitarian response," areas in which I would like to receive more training as well as deepening my understanding of advance methods in reducing the impacts of climate change and improving ecosystem resilience, as this addresses the next step to my career development. Secondly, the range of research conducted by the faculty is appealing. The studies of Dr. XXXX, Dr. XXXX, and Dr. XXXX are of particular interest to me as they align with my research interests and I look forward to studying the course "Ecosystem based approaches for disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation" which Dr. XXXX teaches. Additionally, XXX University and University of XXX offers an ideal climate for me to develop my interdisciplinary interests in a multicultural environment. To be in this rich environment would be a tremendous opportunity to share my experiences and ideas while learning from others.

Finally, and of great importance, on returning to my country, especially at my place of work, I look forward to applying the knowledge I hope to acquire through learning and experiences at both institutions to proffer solutions to current environmental issues in order to facilitate a smooth transition to a more sustainable environment and to make a lasting contribution to this fascinating discipline. Thereafter, I will pursue a PhD degree to keep abreast of up to date skills in the management of the environment and its resources. I undoubtedly look forward to studying at XXXX University and University of XXXX.
Iyanus19 1 / 2 3  
Hi, Johnsavvy.

Welcome here. I hope this meet you well.

To start with, while your essay have a very good content, I believe you need to improve on its organisation and paragraph development.
Also, I observed that the sentences are too lengthy with a lot of unnecessary words and explanations. I would advise you to try to clearly state your points in shorter sentences. For instance, especially in the crude oil rich zone of the Niger Delta. It would be better to put either "especially in the crude oil rich zone" or "especially in Niger Delta".
OP johnsavy 1 / 1  
@Iyanus19
Thank you for your review..
best regards

John Saviour

Home / Letters / Letter of motivation for Msc environmental risk and human security