Home / Letters   % width Posts: 2

Motivation Letter - Research Master in Business - Maastricht University - The Netherlands

hdmquan 1 / -  
Provide good arguments for why you want to do this master's programme at Maastricht University and why you expect that you can successfully complete the programme. This letter should be about 1 or 2 pages long.

letter of motivation

Upon graduation, I started my career at XXX as a market researcher. There, I had an opportunity to contribute to the digital transition of XXX by leading the deployment of ABC - a novel digital research approach, in Vietnam's market. That was the first time I experienced a real-world innovation project, learned about its meaningful impact and complication, and also shaped my interest in deep-diving into the correlation between innovation and business performance. I contributed tirelessly to the project and spent months learning from scratch, building procedures, and seeking business partners. The process of dealing with various stakeholders greatly improved my problem-solving ability and gave me plenty of experience in project management, leadership, and international collaboration. Subsequently, ABC was utilized successfully in our research activities and it later became one of the back-bone solutions of my company to stay competitive in the Covid lockdown era. I realized that under hard pressure, I could exploit all of my potential and that with strong commitment and hard work, I am able to achieve things that I am looking for and be successful.

Afterward, I had the opportunity to take charge of more complex projects and more importantly, handle research about innovation. Thus, I observed that since the pandemic, the number of businesses in Vietnam investing in digital solutions had increased dramatically from 5 percent in 2020 to 21 percent in 2021, and it was expected to maintain its pace in the next 5 years. However, despite the increasing investment, only 20 percent of them succeeded in the journey, showing a huge gap in the capacities of local firms in implementing technologies into their operation. Such a number really puzzled me but also stimulated my curiosity to find the desirable answer. After 2 years at XXX, I was offered a position as an Assistant to the CEO at a local company. I decided to seize such an opportunity for the sole reason that I was involved in its restructuring process, especially, the implementation of ICT projects to optimize the operational process and reduce the heavy reliance on paperwork. Thus, I learn that local firms usually overly focus on applying digital solutions but overlook the necessity of building an inclusive mechanism that encourages learning and innovation. As a result, the effort usually becomes more costly due to internal resistance and unanticipated trade-off during the process when putting new initiatives into practice. Eventually, although acknowledging the necessity of applying digital solutions, business leaders, might decide to maintain the status quo for stability.

I see that the situation could be improved and the leaders could be more determined in their path if they are supported with relevant knowledge and skills for reshaping their procedures, culture, and structure to align with new technologies but the market lacks qualified personnel to play such a role. That motivates me to become an expert in digital transformation, a business architecture to deal with increasingly complex business challenges and contribute to the progress. Years at XXX showed me how advanced research could help businesses in unlocking potential opportunities that day-to-day work cannot reveal. Therefore, in the future, I want to embark on a career as a business consultant to conduct studies on integrating new ideas, technologies, and models into Vietnam's business context. To fulfill my ambition, I need an advanced skill set in change management, data analysis, and a thorough knowledge of innovation. I have conducted meticulous research and I am convinced that the Research Master's program in Business at the Maastricht University would be a perfect launchpad towards my personal and professional growth. With the wide coverage of all technical and strategic aspects needed for a business researcher, the program will give me a more macro perspective and the ability to use science to solve real-life problems. I am particularly excited about the courses of Knowledge, Innovation and Technological Change; Business Innovation and Sustainable Development; and Economics of Strategy and Innovation as they would strengthen my capability to analyze the process of innovation in business and its influencing factors from multiple angles. Whereas, courses of Organizational Change and Consultancy and Business Process Management would allow me to reflect on my own experience with a systematic understanding and get familiar with both the contemporary perspectives and tools in re-designing the operation processes and managing the disruption during the transition period. With such a concrete foundation, I am confident that I am able to devise and support leaders with data-driven innovation strategies adaptable to the characteristics and settings of their organizations.

During years of working and learning, I have been developing profound interpersonal and professional skills in research that will be helpful in the higher academic and cross-cultural environment. Via the courses of Quantitative Methods for Business and Business Research Methods during my college time, I am familiar with the research process and quantitative techniques required in the formulation and analysis of problems in Business. I also gained an excellent mark of 84 for my final thesis and I was a co-writer of a published study case about the business strategy of a local conglomerate with my Professor, an experience that tailored my academic writing and analytical skills. Besides school work, I got scholarships to join youth conferences and volunteer activities in Kyrgyzstan, Azerbaijan, and several ASEAN countries to enrich my social knowledge and hone my intercultural competence. Through my work at both global and local companies, I obtain technical proficiency in qualitative research methods, hands-on experience, and insights into multiple industries. Therefore, I am confident that my background could ensure my adaptation to the new challenge as an academic scholar and that my professional experience could allow me to bring a unique color to the academic canvas of the program. I truly hope to receive your consideration for such an exceptional learning opportunity at your University.
The response essay needs to be better structured by creating a clear relationship between the courses of interest to the applicant and his skills gained in both the undergraduate and professional levels. By creating a connected discussion between these areas, the applicant will manage to create a more cohesive presentation that underlines his skills development in relation to the program requirements. The integrated information should help the writer indicate how he sees the program helping him become successful in the future. It is difficult for the reviewer to make the connection based on the current presentation due to the lack of integrating factors. Rather than discussing these individually, the candidate must work on presenting the skills and study expectations in a combined manner instead. The paper will come out shorter that way, while being more informative and focused in information presentation.

The writer appears to have the qualifications for a valid candidate. The problem is that he presented it in a manner that proves hard to keep track of. The realization of how these all connect to create a strong candidate is what he should try to improve upon in the revised presentation. Integrate, do not separate the information for the benefit of the reviewer.

Home / Letters / Motivation Letter - Research Master in Business - Maastricht University - The Netherlands