Home / Letters   % width Posts: 2

Motivation Essay for studying MS in Architecture - Building Technology, TU DELFT

manikagarg 1 / -  
INTRODUCTION
I always had a particular affinity for arts, logical and sequential thinking and so in my pursuit of creative endeavors six years back I had chosen to pursue architecture at ABC SCHOOL of INDIA. Since then I have been constantly exploring new methods of creatively solving a question in hand. I not only learnt how to design buildings but

also how they affect our surroundings. Thinking about the amount of energy and resources that are invested into building and construction activities always made me rethink my designs. I started digging deeper to understand the reality of this industry. I read and drafted research papers on how waste construction debris can be reused and recycled, how bicycles can bring change in a city, how responsive lifestyle can alter everything that is going wrong in this world and so on. I tried my best to implement all this knowledge in my Architectural designs, but I realized that whenever I tried to resolve one issue it led to another problem. If I try to resolve an issue related to energy, I end up investing a lot of material. These ongoing challenges made me realize how important it is for me to further my education for developing better designs and hence be a fully qualified architect.

MOTIVATION FOR CHOOSING THIS MSC. PROGRAMME

The programme that I aspire to pursue is Building Technology Track under MSc Architecture, Urbanism and Building Sciences at TU Delft. I have a deep interest in technical aspects of Architecture and how to make them sustainable. Since second year of undergrad studies I was clear that I want to major in this area. My personal goal became to design buildings that addressed at least one serious ecological issue with the right technology. In one of the semesters at my college, our design studio was given an opportunity to design Auto Expo. It was an exciting project, but I realised that there are more than enough car exhibit designs. I felt that it is important for younger architects to try new designs that address current issues. I persuaded the faculty members to include other modes of transportation in addition to cars in the design brief. They agreed and finally, I proposed a cycle exposition which acted as a destination in the city that promotes cycling. For this I designed a long span roof of a 400M long circular ramp made of ferrocement which is light in weight and has enough strength to support more than 100 cyclists at a time. Then in another semester I worked on a hotel design with a parametric facade as a climate responsive strategy. I also did many architectural competitions alongside. One of them was HEAL, where in a group of three people we proposed floating houses which were equipped with telescopic foundations and various lightweight materials. This was a solution for flood prone areas.

One per thread.

I hope you find my work, profile and attitude worthy enough to be one amongst you!
When applying to an MSc program of this type, the reviewers will always prioritize candidates who have a professional motivation for their advanced studies interest. That means, they are actually already trying to design ecologically impactful buildings and homes, but encountering the problems you mentioned earlier in your introduction. They have tried to overcome the problem and achieved some success at it within their careers. Their motivations therefore, have an immediate need for improvement and an actual motivational focus beyond just learning how to use the correct materials in response to hypothetical problems. That is the major drawback of your motivational essay. Your experience is only academic in nature, accomplished within a controlled and supervised environment. The imperative need for advanced studies is therefore lacking.

What you wrote about in the motivation aspect was not a true motivation. It was only a look at your academically developed skills in the business. The screener will not consider that a motivation since they do not consider a skills backgrounder an acceptable part of the motivation letter. This is all about what you want to learn, the need to learn about it, and how it will be applied in the future. Your motivation falls short of providing these insights.

Home / Letters / Motivation Essay for studying MS in Architecture - Building Technology, TU DELFT