Unanswered [8] / Urgent [0] / SERVICES

Letters Posts: 2

MOTIVATION LETTER FOR VOLUNTEER ABROAD PROGRAM (Japanese Student)

highstepzz 1 / -  
Hi guys.

I would very much appreciate if you could help me to improve my

motivation letter for volunteer abroad opportunity

.
My motivation letter follows these aspects:
1. Please describe four aspects of your personal motivation to do a voluntary service.
2. Please explain why you want to do it in Germany.
3. Please tell us in short about your ideas and your expectations concerning life in a host family/host project in Germany (depending on your preferences).

4. In which field would you like to do your voluntary service and why?
5. Which field of voluntary work would you reject or can't imagine and why?
6. How does the voluntary service fit into your current life?
a. In which way will the experience during your exchange year contribute to your future plans?
7. Please tell us briefly about your use of internet. How would it be for you, not to use internet and WhatsApp every day?

HERE IS MY MOTIVATION LETTER:

My name is Jasmine, a 20 year-old Japanese. As a third year university student, I realize that I need more experience before finishing the studying and starting to find a job. An exchange year can help me gain experience and showcase my skills. Also, my aim is to work in an international organization so this opportunity would mean a great deal for my professional and personal growth. To prepare for the exchange year, I arranged my school schedule and will be able to available for the volunteer service.

I am applying to become a volunteer for many reasons that of great importance for me. The most important reason that urge me to seek a volunteer opportunity is warm feeling I get when giving back. That is the feeling I get whenever I could offer a smile to a sad face and knowing that I am contributing and helping people.

Another reason why I would like to become a volunteer is because I believe it is an opportunity that puts me out of my comfort zone and learn about myself.

Besides, doing a voluntary service can help me broaden my cultural horizons, learn new ways to approach existing problems, new ways of looking at the world and new ways to view a global issue and learn a new language which is one of the best ways to grow.

I am also motivated by a desire to meet new people from different environment, different cultures and develop lasting friendships.
These are the reasons why I would like to do a voluntary service. Moreover, I want to volunteer in Germany because this is the country I have always wanted to travel to. My cousin who is a German told me a lot of interesting things about this country which make me so eager to explore myself. Besides, it might give me a chance for me to visit my uncle's family in Hanover, Germany.

In addition, I have experience in working with children and disabled people; for instance: I took part in a volunteer program an orphanage and disability center, we engaged in caring kids and people with disabilities; held a program for them and gave them presents; I helped an international volunteer to communicate with disabled children in her workplace and take care of them; I have also taught English to children for more than one year. Moreover, I love children and believe that I can work with them well. With my experience in teaching and working with children, I can bring a wealth of knowledge and skills that will benefit the project.

I would not reject any field of voluntary work but it will be better if I can participate in a field where I have experience.

I mainly use internet to find information and contact to my friends. I use internet every day. And I think during the project, I would be alright not use it every day, however, I still need to access to internet at least a few times a week.

Holt [Contributor] - / 7,489 1927  
Jasmine, this is not a very good motivational letter. It is not competitive in the sense that you are not taking the questions seriously and offering insightful responses to each question posed. There is no sense of contemplating the meaning of the 4 motivational aspects, your reason for wanting to do the volunteer service in Germany is selfish instead of self-less, and you are not offering an idea of what you hope to accomplish during this time, nor do you represent what you hope to gain and / or learn from the program.

The reviewer is not going to appreciate you saying that you are not going to reject any volunteer service, but that you would rather work in the field where you can do well. Just come right out and say which areas you do not want to volunteer in. This is your one chance to be direct to the point and inform the reviewer. You cannot, under any circumstance, be accepted into the program only to reject certain assignments after you said you won't reject any. You are delivering a contradictory statement. Be as clear as daylight when it comes to this part. Don't muddle it.

Your response to the internet will tell the reviewer that you are not capable of living without the internet. You should not have said that since it is pretty obvious that internet access will be a problem for the volunteers. In fact, the whole essay response you have written indicates that you are not properly motivated nor qualified to join this volunteer program. Reconsider the question, write logical and well-considered responses, don't say what you think what the reviewer wants to hear, tell him what you really think. Only then might you have a good chance of writing a somewhat competitive motivational letter.

Home / Letters / MOTIVATION LETTER FOR VOLUNTEER ABROAD PROGRAM (Japanese Student)