Home / Letters   % width Posts: 3

Msc Human technology in Sports and medicine - my motivation letter

Vk18luv 1 / 1  
I am applying for the Msc Human technology in Sports and medicine course at German Sport University at Cologne, Germany. According to their website, the requirement from the motivation letter is as follows: 'The motivational letter shall explain your interest for the main subject areas of the MasterĀ“s degree, your motives for commencing the studies and your medium-term professional goals.'

So here is my motivation letter, please let me know if you've any feedback or suggestions to make. It would be of really great help.

THE LETTER OF motivation

My principle in life is that we need to engross ourselves in pursuits that help us stay physically, intellectually and socially active. The outcome of these pursuits must lead to meaningful, harmless and collective evolution of all human beings. Sports and science are those pursuits for me. Studying and engaging with science has taught me to wonder, question, understand things deeply, observe, be logical, analyze and have a research mindset. Playing and watching sports has helped me realize the importance of inclusivity, awareness, dealing with failure, healthy competition, fighting spirit and having fun. Hence, combining the two fields gives me immense satisfaction and an opportunity to explore. I started playing and watching sports like table tennis, badminton, football and cricket a lot when I was 11. At the same time I had started to really love physics and biology lectures at school. This interest pushed me into taking up the 'Physical Education' as the elective paper in my 9th and 10th grade. This was where I realised that my love for sports and science could meet. How does Ronaldo jump so high? How does Usain Bolt run so fast? What is the cricket helmet made of? How does Djokovic stay energetic during long matches? What is the secret behind ice hockey goal keepers superfast reflexes? How does the German field hockey team get the right combination of players? These are the kind of burning questions that I keep getting in my mind and I really love to try and find answers to them.

During my Bachelor's course I worked on the term paper project 'Physics of the Cricket ball' where I learnt about very interesting topics like aerodynamics of cricket ball, understanding pitch surfaces, weather effects on the sport, impact of cricket ball on player. It also further got me interested in material science of protective gear, the biomechanics of sportspersons and sports analytics. Quite recently I developed a table tennis faulty serve detector to sense when the ball touches the net instantly. This helps referees to get notified about a faulty serve during high speed serves. Hence I learnt how to engineer a basic sensor with a sporting application. Currently, I am doing a couple of very interesting online courses from coursera on Sports Performance analytics and Sports Aerodynamics.

I want to specialise in Motion Capture Technology for sports as it requires the combination of concepts from physics, mechanobiology, biomechanics, mathematical and statistical analysis and coding. All these are subjects that I dearly love and MOCAP allows me to apply it in a sporting scenario. Working with Athletes for performance enhancement, injury prevention and rehabilitation using MOCAP is my career goal. For this reason, the modules on Biomechanics and mechanobiology, data management and data analysis, orthopedic technologies, modelling and simulation, performance diagnosis are the subjects I am very eager to learn. At Spoho, I will get the opportunity to use the resources at the Clinical and technological Biomechanics section at the Institute of Biomechanics and Orthopaedics. I will have many athletes at Spoho itself with whom I can work and learn with. I will get amazing guidance from the faculty and experts at Spoho.

Apart from learning, specialising and researching in MOCAP, I want to make online educational content where I can teach various Scientific concepts using sporting examples and also the application of science and engineering concepts in sports. This will make science interesting for kids and common people as well as help Engineers and scientists reclaim their love for sports by getting involved in it through their respective fields. I am also interested in learning about the upcoming wearable technologies.

Another important part of the course that I am looking forward to is the opportunity to present a master's thesis, to do a project and do an internship. These will help me get practical knowledge and also enhance my research skills greatly.

Hence joining this course would play a pivotal role for me personally and give me much needed skills, guidance and exposure. DSU is the best place for me to get the best kind of knowledge and infrastructure as well as peer group with common energy and enthusiasm towards Sports Science and Technology.
The introduction has a serious and character building reference that supports the motive for studies. The second half of the paragraph that discusses the early development of the writers interest in sports and athletics is irrelevant. Rather, a statement about professional development in relation to the previous words would have given a direct career motivation, which is what the reviewers will be looking for. As this is a masters admission application, the motivation should be more targeted towards how his past 2 years work experience further motivated him to persica advanced studies.

Skip the second half of the first paragraph and all of the 2nd paragraph. Jump directly to the third paragraph to keep the discussion focus. The second to the last paragraph does not contain a specific motivational reason and may be deleted as well.
OP Vk18luv 1 / 1  
Thanks a lot for the reply. Yes, I will consider the changes you have recommended. Thank you

Home / Letters / Msc Human technology in Sports and medicine - my motivation letter