Home / Letters   % width Posts: 3

I am a multi-wavelength young astrophysicist; COVER LETTER- PhD position/astronomy

mahmoud2010 1 / -  
I want to apply for a PhD which I need to send a cover letter. Could you please go over it and let me know how it can be improved.

Dear Committee Members,

I am writing to apply for the PhD program of the xxxx which advertised in xxxx and xxx websites. I have been seeking just such an opportunity as this, and I believe my education, research experience and background would be a good match for your requirements. I have a Master degree in Physics with thesis topic in High Energy Astrophysics, my Master thesis entitle as ' Understanding a New Class of Gamma Ray Bursts". In the last three years, I spend most of my time on gamma-ray bursts (GRBs), the intense bursts of gamma-rays coming from the deep space. In this thesis I have performed spectral and temporal analysis using SWIFT Burst Alert Telescope observations of a new class of bursts with short duration followed by extended emission named as Short Gamma Ray Bursts with Extended Emission (SGRBEE) that do not fit in the classification scheme that is agreed on (long-soft and short-hard). Also I have experience with data analysis of the X-Ray Telescope onboard Swift. Data analysis of X-ray, Radio and Infrared of astronomical objects, this experience gained from attending summer schools and workshops in the last three years.

I am a multi-wavelength young astrophysicist with broad experience and interests. My current research interest is split into a number of different projects which all aim to answer some of the unanswered questions concerning the extreme objects, and phenomenon of the universe. Attending summer schools and workshops have raised my interest in spending my future to study these astrophysical objects in the Infrared, mm & sub-mm bands, my interest extend up to Gamma ray too, since I got also training on analysis of the data of IR-Radio observations by the leading experts in this field in the multi-wavelength summer school in Amsterdam (July 2010), and in the international school of young astronomers ISYA 2010 (Sep. 2010) I got lectures and training on IR & radio data. This has increased my interest and motivation to continue in IR & mm observation, of course my previous experience in other wavelengths (experience with Gamma & X rays and Radio too) will help me well, because the multi-wavelength studies are very important now.

I am interested to study the astrophysical objects, including neutron stars and their various manifestations (such as radio and gamma-ray pulsars, magnetars, X-ray pulsars, etc), black holes of all scales, collision events in planetary systems, interstellar medium, processes of star formation, galaxy evolution, and objects in the high-redshift universe. My current interests primarily involve analyzing broadband observations of these objects to identify the spectral components. One of the main goals is to uncover the physical properties of these components, which gives us a better understanding of the underlying physics. Many if not all of the scientific programs based on the IR observations of the above mentioned objects are usually complemented by observations taken over the entire electromagnetic spectrum. A multi-wavelength approach is by now essential to address the most pressing scientific questions arising from radio observations and to test theoretical models.

My experience in the astronomical research in most of the electromagnetic spectrum especially in Radio and Infrared, my familiarity with living and studying abroad, as well as my commitment to the larger ideals of a //////all combine to make me and xxxx an ideal match.

I am enclosing my curriculum vitae and degree certificates, my transcripts. Please let me know if I can provide additional information or writing samples to aid you in the evaluation of my application. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely Yours,
Mahmoud Mohamed
I am writing to apply for the PhD program of the xxxx which advertised on xxxx and xxx websites.

... my Master thesis title is ' Understanding a New Class of Gamma Ray Bursts".

In the last three years, I've spent most of my time on gamma-ray...

I am a multi-wavelength young astrophysicist with a broad range of experience and interests.

Attending summer schools and workshops has raised my interest in spending my future studying these astrophysical objects in the Infrared, mm & sub-mm bands. I cut your sentence in half and ended this here, to make it all clearer.

My interest also extends to Gamma ray, since I've also had training on analysis of the data of IR-Radio observations...

I am interested in studying the astrophysical objects, including neutron...

One of the main goals is to uncover the physical properties of these components, which us a better understanding of the underlying physics.

Many, if not all of the scientific programs based...

Your essay is looking good, but I think you should write something more about the school you want to go to, and how it would help you to reach your goals.

:)
would be a good match for your requirements.

It would be good if you could specify an aspect of their requirements here, and that would make the essay even more thoughtful and meaningful. At this spot in the essay, you have an opportunity to demonstrate your knowledge of their specific ideals in the program. To what requirements are you referring?

Data analysis of X-ray, Radio and Infrared of astronomical objects, this and other meaningful experiences were available to me while attendi ng summer schools and workshops in the last three years. (now add a sentence that tells your main idea for the whole essay, the idea you want them to remember).

End of paragraph.

Paragraph 2:
I am a multi-wavelength young astrophysicist with broad experience and interests.---I like the rhythm of this sentence, but I think it needs a detail added to the end:

I am a multi-wavelength young astrophysicist with broad experience and interests related especially to XXXXXXXX.

This is very impressive overall. Is it going out to multiple programs? It would be good to tailor it a little more to show why the program(s) that interest you are better suited for your particulat intentions and interests discussed here.

Good luck with your excellent career path!

Home / Letters / I am a multi-wavelength young astrophysicist; COVER LETTER- PhD position/astronomy