Home / Letters   % width Posts: 3

I'm at one of the crossroads of life; My motivation letter for GLOCAL masters programm

samidare707 1 / 3  

personal statement essay

the word limit (1200 words).
You should make sure that you address the following issues in your personal statement:

You should outline your motivation for choosing the GLOCAL programme (i.e. how it complements and develops your previous studies;
how it relates to your potential future career path;
how it relates to your personal and academic interests).

Explain why you think you are a good candidate for the programme given your previous studies and how they relate to the courses offered on the programme in both years.

Briefly indicate what you might see as being the topic of your Masters thesis (this can change later).
You should highlight your participation in conferences, internships, non-governmental organisations, summer schools, and other socially sensitive or political activity; as well as any prizes/awards received, even if these activities are not specifically connected to the area of Global Markets & Local Creativities.

Dear Selection Committee,
With the completion of my undergraduate education, I am once again, at one of the crossroads of life where I have to take a major decision, which finally shapes my future. Master study is a momentous milepost in the everlasting journey to "Education". With due reverence to the GLOCAL program, I pen down a "Motivation letter".

I would like to note that Uzbekistan adopted the Global Goals in 2018, began to establish comprehensive cooperation with UNDP, and make efforts to join the World Trade Organization. I think such cases are the beginning of the process of globalization when a country abandons a closed policy and opens it up to the world community. Therefore, the priority of today's Uzbek actors is to create conditions for business representatives in the country to expand world trade relations not only in the domestic market but also at the international level, as well as the creation and development of global cooperation projects, development concepts. To solve such problems, Uzbek actors need not only a deep study of local markets but also a deep critical analysis of the history of the development of world markets and their development experience. Therefore, I want to embrace the spirit of such changes and intend to be the bridge that connects my country to a globalizing world, an innovator who offers innovative solutions to development challenges, and a trusted advisor to my country's to achieve global goals. My name is xxxx and I wish to apply to the Global Markets, Local Creativities Master program, with the study track on Global Markets and Development.

I hold an undergraduate degree in Accounting and Auditing at Samarkand Institute of Economics and Service. However, my academic background is not only accounting but also a combination of several areas, such as economics, finance, and management.

To solve the problems I mentioned above, I chose the GLOCAL program because I consider it an ideal and logical continuation of my academic path. I think that systemize knowledge and experience that I have gained in the fields of the local economy and local entrepreneurship development, and the knowledge that I can get in the fields of international business and the global economy, offered by GLOCAL under the one umbrella, will be the ultimate combination for my future career. Besides it, I must notice that I have never been someone who wants to limit my possibilities and opportunities. I am open to doing a variety of different things during my studies at GLOCAL. I want to develop critical and analytical skills. I want to deeply analyse how globalization challenges the localities (local places and local actors). In addition, I want to open my mind a lot to what's happening in the world. I want to become much more mature and change my mind-set for a better outlook on life. Also, GLOCAL, for me who have thirst to learn new cultures and places, is perfect place to have an international experience and cultural awareness.

I'm used to making a plan before starting anything. GLOCAL is no exception. I am applying for this program with a clear academic purpose. As I said above, the experience of being GLOCAL is a logical extension of my knowledge of local economics and fills my gaps in theories of global economic development. That is why I am planning to study the following subjects in the GLOCAL partner cities as part of a two-year study program.

As part of my first mobility, I am planning to take courses in "Globalized Economy", "Global Varieties of Capitalism", "Globalization, and Labour" at the University of Glasgow. From these courses, I want to gain analytical knowledge about the process of economic globalization, and economic theories. Moreover, I am planning to use this knowledge to analyse the transition of Uzbekistan to a market economy in the form of the so-called "Uzbek model".

As part of my second mobility in Barcelona, I would like to take courses "Companies in Emerging Sectors", "Creative Cities: Intervention Models and Entrepreneurial Dynamics". As part of these courses, I would like to find answers to my questions about how the urbanization process took place in European cities towards the creation of creative cities and what strategies were used to create creative entrepreneurship. Besides it, I want to emphasize that my internship experience at a family business in Uzbekistan has shown that family businesses operate only in local markets and their globalization is very difficult. In the course of "Family Business: Innovation and Globalization" organized by the University of Barcelona, I would like to conduct an in-depth analysis of the tools that will help family businesses in Uzbekistan to globalize and expand their business.

As part of my third mobility in Göttingen, I will seek to take courses covering a range of topical issues such as Immigrant entrepreneurship, Development economics - macro issues, regional perspectives, Sustainable development, trade, and the environment. Through these courses, I want to gain knowledge about entrepreneurship, and how immigration affects the development of a country. I am, also, planning to study sustainable development, differences in regional economic development and environmental issues. Including an internship with a construction company, where I witnessed methods for efficient waste disposal after construction was not applied in an environmentally sound manner. Companies simply move their waste from one point to another. Therefore, I would like to do researches on cheap and environmentally friendly ways to solve such problems in a positive way by deeply studying the courses listed above. I think that finding answers to such problems will make a great contribution to the sustainable development of the local territories.

I think that this knowledge will give me valuable information about the experience of European countries on the path of globalization, the decisions they have taken. Based on this knowledge, I would like to write a master's thesis on the topic "Opening Uzbekistan to the global world: actors and decision-making processes in development after sovereignty."

During my undergraduate degree, I managed to publish several articles and take part in local and international student festivals and conferences. One of my articles won the Best Student Article award from the Science and Education Center for International Scientific Cooperation in Penza, Russia. In addition, as part of the youth festival in Samarkand, I won the nomination "Best Student Reader" and the radio competition "Book and Youth", organized by the Uzbekistan National TV and Radio Company. Also, I tried to actively participate in international Olympiads and conferences. In particular, I took an active part in the e-conference organized by AIESEC, a student festival organized by the Indonesian Youth Union, and many others. I must say that these conferences aroused my great interest in global economic development and globalization.

Keeping in my mind my long-term goals, I hope to be given a chance, as I am confident that I am capable of meeting and even exceeding your expectations. I believe that being a part of your program would not only boost my career but would also give me a solid foundation for international experience. I look forward to a favourable reply and hope to meet you soon.
The essay has a strong educational background. The writer shows ample academic foundation in relevant courses based on the undergraduate course completed. If educational background and the writer's observations of the home country were enough to win a student this scholarship. It would have been awarded already. However, there is a very evident lack of career path development for this applicant. That is where this student's application tends to lose its consideration points.

There is a need to depict the current career path of the applicant in relation to a future career goal. The references for a career path by the applicant are too vague and little informative for the reviewer. References to business observations, internship experience, and wishing to turn Uzbekistan into a globalized nation are all good. Being a motivator is a good idea as well but, these are not considered career paths that would relate to the applicants ability to function on a world stage upon completion of the studies.

GLOCAL does not focus on strong academics alone. The academics must be supported by a clear study purpose, leading towards and advanced career goal. One that is not clearly set out in this essay due to the theoretical nature of the experiences of the applicant.
OP samidare707 1 / 3  
@Holt it's a upgraded one.
Dear Selection Committee,
With the completion of my undergraduate education, I am once again, at one of the crossroads of life where I have to take a major decision, which finally shapes my future. Master study is a momentous milepost in the everlasting journey to "Education". With due reverence to the GLOCAL program, I pen down a "Personal Statement". My name is Azizbek and I wish to apply to the Global Markets, Local Creativities Master program, with the study track on Global Markets and Development.

First of all, let me tell you about the current process of globalization in my country. Uzbekistan, the most important strategic and densely populated country in Central Asia, has for many years chosen the path of isolationism in its relations with the outside world. However, the election of a new president of the country in 2017 was the first step towards abandoning the policy of closeness and openness to the world. In the 2021 Competitive Industrial Productivity Index published by the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO), the Republic of Uzbekistan was ranked 94th out of 152 countries with an index of 0.017 and moved up one position. Also, according to the regional distribution of the rating, Uzbekistan is among the countries of Central and West Asia, ranking 11th out of 22 countries. The country's impact on world trade was 0.001. Unfortunately, this result is too low for a country with huge ambitions like Uzbekistan.

Therefore, thinking about entering the global market, Uzbekistan needs to solve the problem of the lack of actors who think critically, who know how to create local competitiveness in the global market, understand the importance of the historical and social context in economic development, public policy, and business strategies. After all, it is these actors that determine the country's strategy on a global scale.

To solve the problems I mentioned above, I chose the GLOCAL program because I intend to be the bridge that connects my country to a globalizing world, an innovator who offers innovative solutions to development challenges, and a trusted advisor to my country's to achieve global goals

In my opinion, GLOCAL is an ideal and logical continuation of my academic path. I think that systemize knowledge and experience that I have gained in the fields of the local economy and local entrepreneurship development, and the knowledge that I can get in the fields of international business and the global economy, offered by GLOCAL under the one umbrella, will be the ultimate combination for my future career. Besides it, I must notice that I have never been someone who wants to limit my possibilities and opportunities. I am open to doing a variety of different things during my studies at GLOCAL. I want to develop critical and analytical skills. I want to deeply analyse how globalization challenges the localities (local places and local actors). In addition, I want to open my mind a lot to what's happening in the world. I want to become much more mature and change my mind-set for a better outlook on life. Also, GLOCAL, for me who have thirst to learn new cultures and places, is perfect place to have an international experience and cultural awareness.

I'm used to making a plan before starting anything. GLOCAL is no exception. I am applying for this program with a clear purpose. As I said above, the experience of being GLOCAL is a logical extension of my knowledge of local economics and fills my gaps in theories of global economic development.

I think that these bits of knowledge will give me valuable information about the experience of European countries on the path of globalization, the decisions they have taken. Based on this knowledge, I would like to write a master's thesis on the topic "Opening Uzbekistan to the global world: actors and decision-making processes in development after sovereignty." In my dissertation, I would like to discuss important decisions made during the development process, about the ways of adopting a European experience on globalization, and the shortcomings that need to be eliminated for the global integration process to be carried out in the future without serious mistakes.

During my undergraduate, in addition to accounting, I studied economic theory, macro, and microeconomics. In these courses, I explored the concept of Uzbekistan's gradual transition to a market economy, known as the "Uzbek model," and how it differs from the concept of "shock therapy". In addition, in the direction of "Economic Geography and Ecology" I received analytical knowledge about the economic diversity of local regions of Uzbekistan and their impact on environmental problems.

I did internships in various companies. The best project I have ever done is the Young Economists Club at my institute. In this club, I discussed with like-minded young people the work of Uzbekistan in the field of sustainable development and wrote articles on economic issues. I am proud to say that over 20 students participated in this club.

If we talk about my previous internships, then I interned at the family business "So'zangaronnurobod". In addition to accounting and tax reporting for this company, I also worked on the concept of expanding the company's sales reach.

In addition, I did an internship at the Samarkand tax inspectorate as an assistant tax inspector. During the internship, I realized that companies operating in Uzbekistan hardly think about entering the world market. In addition, they are engaged in the "shadow economy" with evading taxes.

I also did an internship at "Jasurbekgazsuvqurilish" LLC. The biggest lesson I have learned from this practice is that most construction companies hardly follow the green economy concept and give little thought to efficient waste disposal after construction.

I managed to publish several articles and take part in local and international student festivals and conferences. One of my articles won the Best Student Article award from the Science and Education Center for International Scientific Cooperation in Penza, Russia. In addition, as part of the youth festival in Samarkand, I won the nomination "Best Student Reader" and the radio competition "Book and Youth", organized by the Uzbekistan National TV and Radio Company. Also, I tried to actively participate in international Olympiads and conferences. I took an active part in the e-conference organized by AIESEC, a student festival organized by the Indonesian Youth Union, and many others. I must say that these conferences aroused my great interest in global economic development and globalization.

Upon completing my master's, I would like to work in the Department of Comprehensive Local Development of the Ministry of Economy and Poverty Reduction in Uzbekistan, using the multidisciplinary knowledge and skills gained through the GLOCAL program. Through my work at the department, I want to work on competitive projects to bring local entrepreneurship to the global market.

Home / Letters / I'm at one of the crossroads of life; My motivation letter for GLOCAL masters programm