Home / Letters   % width Posts: 4

The most outstanding trademark of Ms. X is her creativity. Letter of Recommendation from my teacher

bonboncase 20 / 45 15  
Comments on the content or grammar are welcomed! Thanks!
---------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sir or Madam:
It is my pleasure to write this letter of recommendation to support Ms. Huang Shiyun's admission to your program. I have been acquainted with Ms. Huang since I taught her Management of Corporate Financial Risk, where she got 91 in the exam and left me with deep impression of her passion and intellect for the subject.

The most outstanding trademark of Ms. Huang is her creativity. In my class, she successfully demonstrated Support Vector Machines (SVM) with an application and showed her excelling programming skills and a profound understanding of classification and regression. She surprised me by using a whole new method on MATLAB, different from my own based on SPSS. After adding the factorial analysis of SPSS to her application, her final thesis was good enough to be included in my teaching materials to help instruct other student.

Moreover, Ms. Huang demonstrated her solid foundation of mathematics by understanding probability and statistics at an advanced level in the learning of correlation tests, regression and other principles of the risks-assessing methods I introduced. She also dug in to the details and presented her unique view of risk management in case analysis. For example, when we were discussing risk control for fund raising, she challenged the traditional idea which said small firms with limited ability to bear high debt ratio were more suited for equity financing than debt financing. She contended that privately raised company bonds could also be a choice as Chinese government is aiding small firms by enriching China's bond market now.

In addition to her academic success, she is a cheerful and cooperative member of her class. She won the respect of her peers through her willingness to help and encouragements of others.

Therefore, I sincerely give my full support and highest recommendation to Ms. Huang's application for admission to your program. If you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely
xxx
What was the end result of this? Were you able to prove your claims? If there is no positive outcome from this then don't include it in the essay. The recommendation letter should only contain information that shows off your abilities. If you were able to prove your claims successfully, then have your professor explain how you did it and why it should be of note to the reviewer. Otherwise, the simple paragraph I created for you more than serves the purpose of a recommendation letter. It contains your most notable achievement as a student in his class, that is all we need.
OP bonboncase 20 / 45 15  
Hi Louisa
Thanks for your careful revision. I would like to explain the paragraph you have problem with. I believe there is no explicit outcome of the class discussion. It was a situation when we were discussing a topic and giving different ideas. It is more like a brainstorming activity. So I believe that paragraph should be left out according to your suggestion.

I have a question about recommendation letters though. Is it rather short like 300-400 words? From the recent suggestions you gave about my two recommendation letters, I find that I may have some wrong ideas about these letters before. Now I think of them to be direct to the points and concern more about real accomplishments. However, I am a bit confused because I already listed some of the accomplishments (especially for internship) in my resume.So if the letters are still talking about these accomplishments,they may not very informative. That's why I thought before that recommendation letter provides somewhat more personal information. I would be very pleased to hear your opinion :-)
Shiyun, I can understand where your confusion might be coming from. However, you have to understand that these recommendations letters are viewed mostly as summaries of your abilities as a potential worker or student. Therefore, it need not go into great detail about your student or work experiences.

A 300-400 word letter of recommendation is just the right length because it is only supposed to serve as an overview of your abilities. That means, your reviewer will look at your resume or transcript for a more thorough understanding of your abilities but, he will look to the recommendation letter for the more important points of your resume. In other words, it tells him what to look for and take note of in your overall record. Your record should only serve to confirm, in greater detail, what was already said by the people recommending you.

Remember, a recommendation letter is different from an essay. An essay looks to be long in order to be informative.You need to describe your abilities in greater detail because these are aspects of your personality that may not be seen in your transcript and other submitted documents. A recommendation letter needs to be short because it should only contain important information about you from the point of view of another person. It should also just provide a summary of your abilities. The letter will only confirm the information in the documents your already submitted. Don't confuse the two.

I hope I was able to clarify the difference for you. Please feel free to ask follow up questions if you need to :-)

Home / Letters / The most outstanding trademark of Ms. X is her creativity. Letter of Recommendation from my teacher