Home / Letters   % width Posts: 2

Position of Valuation Officer; Letter of motivation on job application of World Bank

mrtslam 1 / -  
Dear Hiring Manager,

I'm writing to express my interest in the position of Valuation Officer - [Quant] (Job# 132100). Based on my education in finance and work experience in Structuring/Trading/Valuation, I believe that I would be a suitable candidate for this position.

In 2007, I graduated from the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology with a Master of Science Degree in Investment Management. The program, which provided courses such as derivatives analysis, fixed income analysis, computing and programming in finance, taught on topics such as Black-Scholes model and Black model as well as the related programming techniques using mainly Excel. This course provided me with the relevant skills to perform this position.

From 2004 to 2008, I worked with the capital market department of Chinatrust Commercial Bank Hong Kong as a structured product manager and focused mainly on the pricing and execution of FX option related products. One of the task that I was involved was to use non-deliverable options to structure synthetic forwards with multiple tenors in Vietnamese Dong, which was used to hedge a client's FX exposure. Besides, I had the experience in verifying a valuation model used for the valuation of dual currency deposit.

From 2008 to 2011, I worked with the global market department of Commonwealth Bank of Australia Hong Kong as a treasury funding dealer. One of the tasks that I did was to identify arbitrage opportunities between renminbi money market and non-deliverable forward. Also, I was responsible for assessing the hedge effectiveness of using bond futures and interest rate futures to hedge the price risk of government bonds held in the branch's investment portfolio.

From 2012 to 2013, I worked with the risk management and compliance division of the Hong Kong Monetary Authority as a valuation officer. My main responsibility was to provide the market data management for the daily revaluation of the investment portfolio of the Hong Kong's foreign reserve, in which contains the fixed income bonds issued by the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development. Besides, I took part in the implementation and user acceptance testing of the Calypso treasury system. Besides, I was involved in product control tasks such as the review of the valuation models of financial instruments such as FX option, interest rate swap and swaption.

I should be extremely grateful if you would give me an opportunity to contribute to the World Bank. Since I have always wanted to further develop my career in the fixed income market, I realize that the World Bank has always been at the forefront of the global debt markets - not just in terms of issuance but also in the leadership it has shown and its commitment to innovation. Hopefully, my skills and experience might be relevant to the requirement of this position, so that I could be given the chance to fulfil my career aspiration.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you very much for your consideration.

Regards,

Jon Lam
Okkkkkkk.... Whatever you have written, it's nicely presented. However, I find it is kind of list of your credentials and past experiences, but no where your motivation of applying for this gets reflected. You don't say why you want to apply for this position, what you aim at achieving, what your short term and long term goals. I think they are important facts that should be included here.

Home / Letters / Position of Valuation Officer; Letter of motivation on job application of World Bank