Home / Letters   % width Posts: 2

Letter of postponing job appointment on November 15th.

jaijkrishn12 1 / -  
You successfully passed a job interview. You are expected to start on November 15, but you will not be available on that date.
Task: Write a letter to your new boss, explaining your situation, expressing your concern and suggesting a solution.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Request to postpone my appointment on November 15th.

This is with reference to the offer letter that I have received yesterday. I am delighted to see an offer from one of the reputed MNC company for which I have been waiting for so long. Unfortunately, on the same day my sister marriage ceremony is scheduled. As per our community beliefs, there are few things which has to be done only by brother on sister's wedding day. So, my presence is very important for me and my family to complete the formalities.

I would need at least two days of time after November 15th to commute from my hometown and join in the company. Hence, I will be able report to the company anytime after November 18th. Kindly revisit on my appointment and let me know the next feasible date of joining.

I look forward to hearing an update from you and thanks in advance for your support.

Regards,
Jay
Jay, the letter that you wrote is good. It gets the message across to the reader but has a few problems with sentence structure and grammatical accuracy. If you won't mind, I would like to show you how this letter could have been better worded below:

Dear Mr / Ms. (name of letter signatory),

I was delighted to receive an offer to begin working on November 15 for MNC. I am truly excited about beginning my career with the company. However, I regret to inform you that I can only start working on November 18 due to some family obligations. My sister is getting married on November 15, the same day I am expected to start work. Our cultural traditions dictate an important role for the brother of the bride so my presence at the ceremony is of the utmost importance to my sister, as the bride. As such, I cannot renege on my duties as the formalities of the ceremony cannot be completed without me.

I am requesting for your utmost understanding regarding my situation. Please know that I am more than willing to start work after I have completed my family obligations. If it will be possible, I would like to start working on November 18 instead. I will require 2 travel days to get back from my hometown before I can report for my duties at MNC.

Due to the aforementioned circumstances, I am requesting that my start date by adjusted either to the date indicated in this letter or at the next possible start date that is convenient for the company. I look forward to working with you regarding this schedule adjustment.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Sincerely,
Jay (full name)

* Always write the full name of the person who wrote the hiring letter to you. That is indicated at the bottom of the letter, in the signatory section. The same goes for your name at the end because the reader will need to refer to your file in order to consider your request.

Home / Letters / Letter of postponing job appointment on November 15th.