Home / Letters   % width Posts: 6

A professor request for recommendation letter email

toffytata 1 / 2  
Hello, everyone! Thank you for looking at my first thread! I'm seeking for help on grammar usage, wordings and ideas on an email for a professor-- request a recommendation letter. This is very important for my graduate school application. Thank you in advance for any comments!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a chance to pursue my dream of being an entrepreneur in a developing country

Dear Professor xx,

My name is xx graduated with a degree of 2:1 in Business Management in 2016. I took your xx course in 2016 Spring and it was a very challenging course for me, proudly received xx in xx project. You may not remember me because we emailed you for questions as a group and I used to study on my own.

I am currently taking an internship gap year in New York and in the process of applying to 4 graduate schools to study MSc Management and Innovation in London in 2017/18. I'm trying to gather a few recommendation letters for supporting my applications. Because of the way I study, it has been difficult for me to develop a relationship with my professor. Your class and the xx project really influenced my career plans, so I decided to start by asking you. I would be more than happy to meet you in person at your convenience if that would be helpful, but it is more feasible to ask you via email since I am currently based in New York. Would it be possible for you to write me a strong letter of recommendation for my business school application?

I really enjoyed your class setting and teaching style, through lecture discussions, client meetings, business presentations and team workings, I realised the working environment of a consultant and received a deep understanding of management in an organisation. The business thinking I learned from your class and project is really helpful for understanding business management in my family business and also allowed me to apply theory into opening my own businesses at next stage. Learning business in a reputable business school in a global city London, I'll get opportunities to network with great thinkers and leaders and learn how to continue learning (especially learning from on-the-job experience) throughout my professional life. As well as with the support of family, I believe that I get a chance to pursue my dream of being an entrepreneur in a developing country to apply the best management method in my mind and hopefully make this world a bit better. I believe in the power of women in business so that I am dedicated to promoting equal gender opportunity to pregnancy employment in a country with relatively limited freedom and equality than the Unite Kingdom. This is why London is immensely important in the awakening of my sensibility, in the forging of values and in the training of youngsters with courage to embrace the world.

I would also provide my personal statement with application details (a draft version), CV and course assignments for your consideration.

I understand that writing a letter a recommendation would be a burden on your time and I really appreciate that you would take your time to read and consider my request. Thank you very much in advance.

Sincerely,
xx
sqscr 2 / 2  
The 2 sentence could be elaborated a bit more clearly..
Ting, you have to consider that the professor who will be writing your recommendation letter needs to have some sort of familiarity with you as a student. This is because the professor needs to have been able to observe you actions as a student, must have been able to create an impression about your academic skills based on your interpretation of class requirements, and also, needs to understand your mindset as a potential masters degree student based upon conversations that you have had with him. That is why the recommendation letters are normally written by either a professor with whom you have a close academic relationship with, or your college thesis adviser. These are the people who are best qualified to write this recommendation letter.

If you believe that the professor does not remember you and has no ability to write a personal observation due to the facts that you stated here (you worked on group projects and studied alone), then this is not the right professor for the job. The letter has to be written by a professor upon whom you have made an impression. Providing him with your personal data and other documents will not help in this instance. Unless you write the recommendation letter yourself and just have the professor sign it. Which sounds like a good idea but once the university reviewer realizes it was not written by the professor, your application will lose credibility.

Rather than asking the professor to write a letter for you based upon the documents you will be sending, ask him to write a recommendation letter for you based upon what he remember about you. Don't provide him with any documents. Ask him to use the documents he has on file or the university has on file about you. That way the content of the letter will not be suspect. Providing him with documents will make it sound like you are trying to influence the letter.

Why are you mentioning a gender rights discussion in your letter? Please remove that. It does not matter at this point because you are not applying for a scholarship or something that asks you about gender rights. You are asking for a letter of recommendation. Therefore, you should only focus on your personal and professional motivation for your masters studies. That is all the professor needs to know. Revise all of the content of your second paragraph to reflect only the clear motivation or reason for your interest in higher studies.
OP toffytata 1 / 2  
Thank you for your comment! I'll remove the gender rights discussion and revise the second paragraph.
digaprasiska 10 / 27 6  
Hi toff.....

I have same experience at you...
If you sure that the professor doesn't remember you, i suggest you to meet the professor directly.
But, as if the condition isn't possible please describe why the project of the professor influenced you clearly.

Your class and the xx project reallyinfluencedmy career plans, so I decided to start by asking you. I would be more than happy to meet you in person at your convenience if that would be helpful, but it is more feasible to ask you via email since I am currently based in New York. Would it be possible for you to write me a strong letter of recommendation for my business school application?

If you the professor nice enough, She/ He can write you strong letter of recommendation.

Good luck
OP toffytata 1 / 2  
@digaprasiska
Thank you! I've correct the wording!

Home / Letters / A professor request for recommendation letter email