Home / Letters   % width Posts: 3

'Being a proud Wits Alumni' - MBA application motivation letter

Ntsiki26 1 / 1  
Dear Sir/Madam
I wish to apply for admission to the Master of Business Administration (MBA) programme at the University of the Witwatersrand for the 2015 January intake. My ultimate goal is to head the strategic planning and business development department in a mining related company, with the hopes of eventually heading that company. I trust that the skills and knowledge I will acquire from the Wits Business School (WBS) MBA programme will contribute immensely to my journey of becoming the best in my desired field (strategic planning and business development), as well as making me a well-rounded business woman in today's rapidly changing business world.

Being a proud Wits Alumni is one of the many reasons I chose the WBS MBA programme over many others. I graduated with a Bachelor of Science Honours Degree in Geology in April of 2011. I have immense respect for the quality and high standard of education that the university has to offer, as well as the quality of graduates that emerge from the university. The past 3-4 years of my professional career have been spent working for Anglo American Thermal Coal (AATC). This is the very same company that sponsored my varsity education and gave me a second chance when I was faced with the possibility of having to drop out of varsity due to financial constraints, in my first year of studying. This is one of the many reasons I am so passionate about making my mark in the mining industry.

The first 2 years of my career were spent working as a production geologist at 2 out of the 10 AATC collieries. This gave me a great understanding of how the mining industry works at ground level. In my third year of working, I had the honour of being chosen to work closely with two of AATC's Principal Geologists as their Technical Assistant. This meant that I would be exposed to geology, as well as the business as a whole, at a much higher level than what I had been previously exposed to. My current role as Technical Assistant includes strategic planning, constantly coming up with innovative ways of improving resources and reserve qualities, as well as optimising the quality of information that the geology departments at the different AATC collieries contribute towards the overall success of the business, amongst other things. This role has given me the opportunity to discover my true passion, which is strategic planning and business development.

Having recently started my very own business; I strongly believe that the WBS MBA programme will open the right doors to help me get where I want to be, not only in my current organisation but within my own business as well. I trust that the 'three pillars of learning' technique which the WBS MBA programme uses will equip me with skills that will make me the kind of leader that will not only lead and manage in Africa, but in other emerging markets as well. We live in a country and a continent with such a wealth of economically viable resources, however there is a great need for strong leaders who can constantly keep up with the changing business world. I strongly believe that with my geology qualification, my existing experience in the mining industry, together with the skills I will acquire through the WBS MBA programme, as well as my positive out-look on life will make me the kind of leader I was put on this earth to be.
Kev101 - / 4 1  
This was a really well read and captivating essay !
OP Ntsiki26 1 / 1  
Thank you so much Kev101

Home / Letters / 'Being a proud Wits Alumni' - MBA application motivation letter