Home / Letters   % width Posts: 2

Readmission Letter Appeal Help, Withdrew without Suspension

mattmac 1 / -  
Looking for any ways to refine or improve my appeal letter, grammatically, structure, wordiness, etc. Thank you in advance!!!

To whom it may concern:

I am applying for readmission into the elementary education program for the Fall 2015 semester as a full-time student. I was previously a student at *** from 2002-2006. At the time I decided to take leave from the university, it was my intention to only take a year away to deal with a string of family hardship related matters and in turn regain focus and a passion for continuing my academic pursuits.

As my academic transcript represents, I completely lost the focus and initiative required to achieve measurable success in my studies by the time I was in my third year. I attribute the change in my motivations at that time in a large part to the loss of all four of my grandparents, the unexpected passing of my only uncle, and my father being diagnosed with a debilitating case of peripheral neuropathy, all of which led to my mother going into a state of depression. A sense of mortality began to permeate my thoughts and replaced much of my drive to perform even adequately in my academics. Being self-reliant to a fault, I never sought help from professors or support staff despite my plummeting GPA. I began putting all my time and energy into forming relationships and maintaining them to help ease my feeling of loss as a self-prescribed "live for the day" antidote. I take full responsibility for refusing to be proactive when there were steps that could have been taken to limit the damage I did to my academic reputation.

Despite having amassed 92 credits through my fourth year, it would not have been prudent to continue at *** at that time and simply hope for a fundamental change in my approach. I elected to return home in order to be close to my remaining family. I began working in the school system immediately as a substitute teacher and was hired as a middle school basketball and baseball coach. In 2007, I worked 170 of 175 possible days across the three local school districts in every grade level. In 2008, I took a full-time substitute position at the high school level. In 2009, I began working as an Ed Tech at the elementary school level, the position I have held since, while coaching soccer and basketball at the high school level. I have been able to work with hundreds of children, build a tremendous network of peers in the educational field, and be exposed to training and diverse situations that will undoubtedly lead me to be more successful in my transition to a classroom teacher.

I am pursuing returning to complete my coursework at *** because it is important to me to finish what I started. I believed it was the best fit for me in achieving my educational and career goals from the first time I visited the campus and still do. It would give me a tremendous amount of pride to be able to return and prove myself. I know I will be unable to fully utilize my strengths and capabilities in the educational field without a degree. I am ready to re-attend *** and excel to a level that allows me to pursue graduate level courses in administration afterwards, but realize that decision ultimately lies in your hands. I hope I can satisfy your need to see that, if not through this appeal and other letters of recommendation, than with a face-to-face meeting at your convenience. Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

*Name*
ChristineB - / 108 55  
Hi, mattmac. I think your letter is already great, but I can make a few suggestions:

---------------------

A sense of mortality began to permeate my thoughts and replaced much of my drive to perform even adequately in my academics.

This sounds a bit dramatic to me. Although I'm sure you're not trying to exaggerate, it sounds like you are. If I were writing this, I would leave this sentence out. You've already explained why you were struggling; there's no need to hammer it in with this sentence. Remember - you are training to regain their favor...Mentioning "sense of mortality" might scare them off instead.

--------------------

I began putting all my time and energy into forming relationships and maintaining them to help ease my feeling of loss as a self-prescribed "live for the day" antidote.

I would stop the sentence at "loss" and leave out "as a self-prescribed..." "Self-prescribe" has negative connotations (I immediately think of "self-medicate" using alcohol or drugs). The sentence will convey the same meaning without negative connotations if you stop at "loss."

---------------------

I take full responsibility for refusing to be proactive when there were steps that could have been taken to limit the damage I did to my academic reputation.

I would not use the word "refuse" - it sounds too negative. How about this: I take full responsibility for failing to be proactive when there were steps that could have been taken to limit the damage I did to my academic reputation.

I think I'd reword the end of that sentence to make it flow better. Here's a suggestion:
I take full responsibility for failing to be proactive and seek out the help I needed .

----------------

OK, I need to stop there, but I hope that has helped you a little!

Home / Letters / Readmission Letter Appeal Help, Withdrew without Suspension