Home / Letters   % width Posts: 8

recommendation letter for a job offer in the field of architecture

qqpp 2 / 10  
Hi everyone,

I will leave town to follow my education and I want to take care of this now while I am still here, just in case I will need another letter of rec. in looking for a job.

I would like you to help me round this off. My boss asked me to help him with this letter.
In short, I have to write it and, since he is very pleased with my work in his office, he will sign it.
Is the template ok?
Any suggestion would be appreciated.

* This is not a letter for a specific application. I don't know if this information is important or not.

__________________________________
To whom it may concern,

It is with great pleasure and enthusiasm that I am writing to offer a formal recommendation for Mrs. XXX. I know Mrs. XXX through her work in my architecture office. Mrs. XXX first contacted me almost two years ago about the possibility of work in my office as a full time intern student. She has been completed 4 years of college at the time and at our first meeting I described the general outline of the way we work and the job requirements emphasizing the high degree of quality that we are requiring from our partners. She didn't let herself discouraged, instead she asked good questions and appeared intelligent.

We had the pleasure to work with Mrs. XXX for one year and a few months (October 2008 - December 2009) and during that period I could see her blossom from a newcomer, college student, into an equal position holder among the other senior architects in my firm. I am glad I had the opportunity to be part of her mentoring at the beginning of her career.

For start, I had her teamed up with another architect on a on-going project of a housing building. I could see they were making a good team in solving problems on the project by working in tandem. The project was their full responsibility concerning the design. It included technical drawings, presentation imaging and meetings with the engineers and clients. During these meetings Mrs. XXX was always alert in providing explanations and arguments for choices made. This was only one of the five different project I assigned Mrs. XXX to work on during her stay, all of which were about team work. She became one of my reliable employees either it was about site visits and mapping, doing research on rules and regulations concerning a particular program, or completion of final drawings, concept graphics for presentations and imaging.

In the case of a hotel project or a competition we enrolled, I had to make larger groups including her and she always gained respect from all of her colleagues, including me. Another colleague commented favorably about working with Mrs. XXX. He said that she got along well with her co-workers, pulled her own weight on the projects and had the ability to compromise with other team members. He particularly appreciated her goal driving and dedication to her work.

In summary, she demonstrated the ability to work independently or in a team with great creativity and enthusiasm. I always appreciated her talent, her ability to stay focused and meet the deadlines. I am very pleased with Mrs. XXX's performance and, although I was hopping she would stay and work with us in the future, I believe she would be an outstanding asset to your office. I give her my highest recommendation.

Yours sincerely,

Architect XXX XXX
General Manager XXX

email:
phone number:
__________________________________

Thank you!
Yayz 10 / 121  
I have a few grammar/wording suggestions but this already sounds pretty nice! =)

full- time

She hadbeen completed

that we require from our partners.

She didn't let herself discouraged, instead she asked good questions and appeared intelligent.
She did not let herself become discouraged--instead, she was very interested in the work and asked intelligent questions.Saying you "appear" intelligent kind of makes it sound as if you were only acting

We had the pleasure to work with

Maybe "We have had the pleasure of..." or something like that

December 2009). D uring that period I saw her blossom(maybe replace that with "transfrom")from a newcomer, college student, into an equal position holder among the other senior architects in my firm.

"For start," -->At the start,

I could see they were making a good team in solving problems on the project by working in tandem.

They made a good team and had an excellent dynamic for solving problems with the project...

Mrs. XXX was always alert in providing explanations and arguments for choices made

Mrs. XXX stayed alert and provided...for the choices made
(It sounds stronger than just "was")

five different projects

She became one of my reliable employees either it was about site visits and mapping, doing research on rules and regulations concerning a particular program, or completion of final drawings, concept graphics for presentations and imaging.

She rapidly became one of the employees I knew I could rely on through her exceptional work on site visits...

In the case of a hotel project or a competition we enrolled, I had to make larger groups including her and she always gained respect from all of her colleagues, including me.

In the case of hotel projects or competitions our company enrolled in, I always made sure that I included her in the new, larger groups in which she always gained respect from her colleagues and reaffirmed my respect for her.

Another colleague commented favorably about working with Mrs. XXX:He said that she got along well with her co-workers, pulled her own weight on the projects, and had the ability to compromise with other team members. He particularly appreciated her goal-driven dedication to her work.

her talent as well as her ability

hoping
OP qqpp 2 / 10  
Thank you very much, Maria!
ershad193 14 / 333 5  
Hi brighita!

I can see than Maria has addressed most of your problems. I would like to add just one more thing...

Include a minor weakness of yours. Something which doesn't affect the application, but is present all the same. It will add a bit of authenticity to your letter. It should be something trivial, like you're an extrovert/introvert. Then try to make it sound like you have gotten over that weakness; that you're a better person now.

The HR people (or AO, if you're applying for admission) often get suspicious of letters which only talk about the positive aspects of a candidate.

But before you take this advice, please consult with others.
This is excellent advice, here. I would also add that it is great if you tailor this to the organization/organizations to which you are applying by writing a paragraph about the kinds of roles you want to play and the skills you have that prepare you.

For example, if the company you want to work at particularly needs people who can XXXXXXXX, and if I was writing you a letter of rec., I would write..

Brighita asked me to write her a letter of recommendation for a position in at [name of company] that will require her to be able to XXXXXXX. I wanted to express my confidence in her preparedness to XXXXXXX, because I have seen her effectively XXXXXXXX during various projects I have supervised. For example...

The more you can tailor it to the particular organization, the better. That is the same in sale. If you want someone to say, "Yes! This is exactly what I need!" then you must show them that you meet their specific needs.
OP qqpp 2 / 10  
Thanks Kevin!
I will take this advice with me.. Unfortunately it's not for a specific company, it's "just in case"
OP qqpp 2 / 10  
What is the appropriate line spacing for a letter?
Just google this for examples:
professional letter template

I would use single spaced paragraphs with a space between each paragraph and no indentation.

Home / Letters / recommendation letter for a job offer in the field of architecture