Home / Letters   % width Posts: 2

Remember the time you finally could not stand on other's mispronunciation of your name? Self letter

Boa503 6 / 16  
Please check if there are any grammar mistakes or anything that you don't understand. Thank in advance

Prompt: Write a letter to yourself in five years.

Dear Jingle,
(Remember the time you finally could not stand on other's mispronunciation of your name? So you decided to introduce yourself in every new class as it went, "Please say my name as you would say like "Jingle", and that made you smile and others laughed.)

At the time you read this letter, I had become a shadow. Oh, no, indeed, I had forever become a part of your memory that you had lost or treasured. Can you still see a girl with a tight ponytail, standing behind the counter in her parents' restaurant and greeting shyly first time at customers? Can you still see the dim light reflects out her bedroom in the midnight as she struggles to finish her homework? Can you still see her odd quirks as she tries to gender every number - odd is male, even is female, and 2 is goddess - and admires passionately of prime numbers. Well, that girl is me, and you, too, in five years ago. That was one of your life's most wonderful moments, fulfilled with perspiration, creativity, motivation, and positive outlook on life.

Remember your first day of school when you came to the United States? Following briskly after a blonde girl who was asked by teacher to bring you to your next class, you desperately tried to search some greeting words in your smattering English word banks to break the silence. You felt frustrated, but not uncomfortable, because of your inability to express your curiosity and share your excitement in new environment. You would make fun of your friends' name "Catherine" as it sounds like "bathroom", even though it was only you who think it sounds like "bathroom"; you would laugh at yourself and others' wild eyes as you pronounced "restaurant" as "restroom" when other's your parents' job. I want you to remember those moments - with red face and red fear at time of embarrassment, your grin let you face every mistakes you make, so thereafter you can correct them. So, do me a favor, don't let your fear of failure stop you, you can laugh at them and move on.

Remember the day you finally confessed to your parents you wanted to be a mathematician instead of a lawyer as they wanted you to be? Standing in front of them and gazing at their shoes, you said dreamily and determinedly, "I always want to be study math, yesterday, today and tomorrow." I know it was another sigh of disappointment from your parents that you cannot endure from your parents who had worked all their lives and dreamed about their child's bright future, but I want to applaud you because you confessed your personal desire. I know you have come this far. Right now you might be a mathematician who immerse in difficult problems and mathematical concepts that make your imagination a playground of ideas. I hope that you still feel math is an endless adventure while it invigoratingly stimulates your mind and you soul. I know you know that it may take many years of thinking and learning to reach the sudden realization of one possible solution, as I often refer to "the penny drops", so you will keep working to fulfill your thirst for math.

Remember the dark, Z-shaped plastic desk you do the homework on every day at your parents' restaurant? You had your heads down and backs bend, hiding behind the counter while squirming awkwardly on the little plastic children chair with your so-called "oversize" body described by your little brother, you grasped every second you have between customers to finish one math problem or one history reading assignment. You were racing with time. Although you struggled, frustrated, complaint at first, you did not give up and managed to handle it in the end. I want to you to remember those moments - with your body swirling around customers, homework and fryers, you know what you want and how to get there. So, do me one favor, don't let your goal slip through and disappear in the wave of time, obscure and pressure. Hold it tightly as it grows into something more concrete and meaningful.

(I was thinking to wrote something here...)

"2019, Jingle, I will see you there"

Your one and only,
Jing
Wow! You said a lot about the you from long ago in this letter. Unfortunately, the Jingle that you became after 5 years was not described in this very long throwback letter. Tell you what, write about who you became after 5 years as well. Give 5 years ago Jingle something to look forward to. Inspire her to achieve more because you know who you became after 5 years and that you have the potential to achieve more. Warn her of the pitfalls of the past 5 years, but encourage her to see them as mere blips on the road to your success. Don't dwell so much on the past Jingle, she already feels bad enough or uninspired because of the way her parents don't support her, her name is hard to pronounce, and the like. Give her something to root for in 5 years. Show Jingle how perseverance now will result in her future success. That is what this letter is all about. Inspiring your current self to move forward to become somebody you know you can be in 5 years. Let the inspiration and support from your future self soar. Be the inspiring voice that tells Jingle to not give up because her dreams actually come true in 5 years :-)

Home / Letters / Remember the time you finally could not stand on other's mispronunciation of your name? Self letter