Home / Letters   % width Posts: 6

Rinor: My first CV for a job application

rinori89 3 / 10  
I would be very grateful to you if you can read my Resume.
Please tell me if i did any error with my writing. Thank you for getting time.

(CV)
Nme *****
address ****
Tel no. *****
Email address ******
Career objective:
- To obtain a job as a translator at the American Army Base "Bondsteal"

Environmental science skills:
- Wrote four research papers based on environmental issues: "Effects of global warming on living things": "Deforestation: why do we need to prevent it": "Why lots of different species on earth are listed as endangered species, including Green Turtles": "The Rain Forests: why do we need them"

- I suggested a project to the Ministry of Forests in **** to protect rural fields throughout *****.

Education:
- I attended a medical high school "*****" for two years.
- Now 12th grader at ******, (an American School).
- Course work: Chemistry, American Government, English 4, Creative Writing, Physics, Math (Pre-Calculus), and World History.
- High school graduation certificate, May 2009.
- Expected graduation Grade Point Average: 3.90 to 4.00.

Communication skills:
- According to some personality tests in Psychology my personality is agreeableness, which means I am an easy going, friendly, and cooperative person in everyday life.

- Team worker, participated in scouting events.
- Worked in the Medical Clinic in Vitia and developed my communications skills with patients.
- Excellent English language skills.

Voluntary work:
- Worked more than two weeks in a Family Medicine Clinic in Vitia, each day seven hours.
- Went to a kindergarten in Prishtina to take care of kids; I spent more that 25 hours there which gave me credits at school for voluntary work.

- Participated in cleaning the mountain close to the school.
- Recently I made a commitment to tutor some Roma, Ashkali, and Egyptian Children till the end of this school year.
(If we calculate those voluntary work hours, we will get more than 100 voluntary work hours).
- Experienced the job as a translator, staying with U.S soldiers in my community and being a student of an American high school.

April 7, 2009 Done by: *******
michaelfrye1970 9 / 21  
I would not put the statement where you have to explain what your personality is. I would just put the actual description without using agreeableness.
elzbietabielec 3 / 5  
Hi
When I composed my first CV I made sure that I had put in all relevant information with a short personal statement. I also made sure that my covering letter was relevant to the job I was applying for.

Liz
"my personality is agreeableness, which means I am an easy going, friendly, and cooperative person in everyday life." This doesn't work. You may have affability as a personality trait, but you can't say that your personality is agreeableness itself. So, you can either take Michael's advice and cut this sentence altogether, or you can revise it to say what you actually intended to say.

Beyond that, your C.V. seems a bit odd. If you were applying for a position with an environmentalist NGO, it would be really strong. But almost none of what you mention has anything to do with being a good translator. Perhaps you should reorganize things so that relevant information is emphasized, and add more relevant details. For instance, it would help if you could say you were fluent in at least two languages, and specify which languages they are. (We can guess English is one, I suppose). You might also want to find ways to connect seemingly unrelated items back to translation in some way, especially if you don't have much else to add that is relevant.
Notoman 20 / 419  
I think that you could make a few changes to make your resume not only more "Americanized," but make it stand out when compared to other applicants.

Nme Spell out Name. That one extra letter isn't going to make too much difference in the length and your name is a pretty important part of a resume

- the American Army Base "Bondsteal" Bondsteal Army Base-if you are applying with the American Army, they already know that it is an American base.

Environmental science skills: Would you be working in the environmental field? I am not sure how important the titles of your research papers would be to the people doing the hiring.

- Expected graduation Grade Point Average: 3.90 to 4.00. Expected Grade Point Average at graduation:

- According to some personality tests in Psychology my personality is agreeableness, which means I am an easy going, friendly, and cooperative person in everyday life. It sounds awkward when you say, "according to some personality tests," almost like there were other personality tests that disagreed with this assessment. I think I would just say, "I am agreeable, easy going, friendly, and cooperative."

- Team worker, participated in scouting events. Participated or are you a Boy Scout? Does the World Scouting Organization use the same ranks that I am used to in America? If you are a Life Scout or an Eagle, the American Army would be very impressed. They give Army enlistees an automatic rank advancement if the person had been an Eagle Scout as a youth. Even being a Boy Scout could go a long way with the people doing the hiring.

Voluntary work: Volunteer Work
- Worked more than two weeks in a Family Medicine Clinic in Vitia, each day seven hours. I think I would word this differently: Seventy hours in a Family Medicine Clinic in Vitia.

- Went to a kindergarten in Prishtina to take care of kids; I spent more that 25 hours there which gave me credits at school for voluntary work. When you say that you got volunteer credit for school, it sounds like it was mandated. Even if it was mandated, you want the American Army to think that you were doing it because you have a heart of service and you like kids. I might just say: Twenty-five hours at a kindergarten in Prishtina.

- Participated in cleaning the mountain close to the school. Hmmm . . . Environmental preservation and clean-up work in the mountains near my school. ??

- Recently I made a commitment to tutor some Roma, Ashkali, and Egyptian Children till the end of this school year. Tutoring of Roma, Ashkali, and Egyptian children. They don't need to know that you haven't started yet or when the commitment will end. Children doesn't need a capital letter either.

- Experienced the job as a translator, staying with U.S soldiers in my community and being a student of an American high school. You might want to spell this out a bit more. Who did you provide translation services for? The U.S. soldiers in your community? Were you paid for your services? Did you live with American soldiers? A home-stay experience can be a powerful tool when it comes to learning another language. What about the American high school? Does that mean that all of the classes are taught in English? Are the teachers American? Are your classmates American? Forgive me for not knowing what is meant by "American high school." Working as a translator, having close contact with American soldiers, and attending an American high school are probably the strongest indicators that you are ready for a job on the base. I'd move these qualifications to the top of the resume to let them be noticed right off the bat.
OP rinori89 3 / 10  
Thank you Notoman, EF_Sean, elzbietabielec, michaelfrye1970. Your advices really help me to rebuild my CV.
I do appreciate your time working on my CV.

Sincerely

Home / Letters / Rinor: My first CV for a job application