Home / Letters   % width Posts: 2

SAP Appeal Letter Review for College

abeishere 1 / -  
Please help me review my appeal letter. I was struggling and this is my first year of college

Appeal Letter for restoring financial aid

To whom it may concern,

My name is Abigail Lopez and I am writing to request that the Financial Aid Committee consider restoring my financial aid.

Unfortunately, I have received notification that my financial aid eligibility has been suspended because I failed to make satisfactory academic progress in the most recent academic semester. While I respect the decision the school made and I take full responsibility for the fact I was unable to earn acceptable grades in three of my courses, I will not be able to continue to pursue my degree if my aid eligibility isn't restored.

A year ago, I was hospitalized for a suicide attempt that led to a chain reaction of me opening up about trauma. This led to a police investigation that to this day is still ongoing. I worked with my therapist after being discharged from the hospital in coping with the situation. Because this is a trauma I kept to myself for many years, it has led to me having depressive episodes and flashbacks. This continued through the year and into 2022.

Today, I have fewer episodes and have learned new ways to cope with episodes, and am being more compliant with medication which has drastically changed my mood for the better. I am confident in my ability to complete all my classes and earn high marks this coming semester.
If the applicant is not willing to get personal with this letter of appeal by offering information that would prove the claims in this letter, then the appeal will not be. This is a letter that glosses over everything that would matter in terms if reconsideration. The uber secrecy of the presentation tends to make the reviewer consider the reasons to be made up. There is a personal disconnection in the appeal. It is not sincere enough in its presentation and does not really hold any factors that would be considered as having truly affected you to the point where your grades would suffer. While the claim may be valid, the premise of the claim is not.

In this case you need to discuss the trauma, how it grew to affect you, and what the current status of the investigation is. Discuss your treatment and how it has unfolded and positively affected you so far making you believe that you will be able to perform as academically expected this upcoming semester. Discuss how you are preparing to meet the challenges of the new academic year and how you plan to maintain the requirements of the financial aid program.

While I understand why you would be fearful to share these information with the reviewer, you do not have much of a choice in this situation. You have to honestly open up to them so that they can make an informed decision about your reconsideration request.

Home / Letters / SAP Appeal Letter Review for College