Home / Letters   % width Posts: 6

school records specialist-cover letter

KathyLala 20 / 116  
Please help me with my cover letter- this is a serious job; the job that I have always dreamt of. They require the knowlege of data entry and working in school environment, which I'm qualify for both, but I don't know how to express in a cover letter.

Dear Human Resource Director:

I am interested in a student records specialist position at your school district. Upon my first year at -------University, I worked at ------company as a general clerk, including account receivable for part-time. It took me three years fishing my bachelor of art degree in mathematics at --- University. After my graduation, -----company offered me a full time job until the company was moved recently. Beginning of my sixth year at----company, I reduced my time to 30 hours a week because I want to see for a different working environment. Fortunately I was hired to work for -----school district as a classroom special aide. The more I am exposed with school environment, the more I feel interested about it.

----company served as a nonprofit organization for the elderly, and I was able to manage over two thousand client confidential records. I interviewed them upon their registration to determine if they were qualified to be a member. I worked financially with the funeral house in case if my clients have no beneficiary. I helped fill out paper work and housing related, translated, and contacted a social agency if needed. As an account receivable, I used Excel spreadsheet to keep record for each client as well as use it to send out monthly billing statement. General office work such as data entry, filing, schedule meeting were also part of my duties Meanwhile, working as a part-time para-educator completely drives me to a very different way. I work daily in a special classroom with autistic children. From this job, I have been realized that helping people with mentally need is much harder than helping people with physically need. However, I take pleasure on the job seeing my students have their hard time at the beginning at school year and be able to meet their goals at the end of the year; it is a big reward for me seeing my students making progress. Working at school environment not only it gives me a chance to meet young people but also it allows me to talk to principal, school teachers, speech therapy, OT, and others professions in order to conduct a better learning.

With my rich experiences and education, I believe I will be a positive addition to------ school district. I am looking forward to the opportunity to contribute my qualifications. If you have any other available position vacancies or any additional information with on my qualifications, please contact me at ---- or my cell ------. Thank you very much for your consideration.

Respectfully,

Kathy Hinh
Enclosure: Résumé
amrosca 4 / 130  
Hei Kathy! :D

In my opinion, you shouldn't talk so much about things already mentioned in your resume, but rather jump directly into the matter. By the time someone reads your first para they might not be as eager to continue following you.

Again, in your second para, you talk about abilities that you have probably already enumerated in your CV. [Oh, if you are still working for the company you mention in your first sentence (in para 2), perhaps you could write everything in the present tense because when you switch to present in the middle of the body it sounds weird.]

Perhaps you could rewrite the letter and then have it checked again. Good luck!
OP KathyLala 20 / 116  
Hi Amrosca! your advise is very helpful for me. I'm so appreciated that. I already quitted the job at the company, that is why I use past tense in my writing, however, I still keep my second job as a para at school; in your opinion, how do I change my ideas in the first paraghap if I don't talk about my early background?
amrosca 4 / 130  
Sorry for answering so late, but here I am!

Now, I like the intro better, however you must polish it. You cannot just throw some stats in, you will look like a person who is there for the facilities and not the actual work (so to say).
OP KathyLala 20 / 116  
I'm so much appreciated for your time Ana, I'm clear with your explanations, just this question: why
"...that helping people with mental needs much harder is than helping people with physical needs" instead of
"...that helping people with mental needs is much harder than helping people with physical needs" ?
The latter sentence sounds much familiar to me
amrosca 4 / 130  
Hm, well, the more I think about it the more confused I get. However, I suppose both are correct. I just went with the way I'd say it. So, you can leave it as you please. :)

Home / Letters / school records specialist-cover letter