Home / Letters   % width Posts: 3

SOP/Motivation Letter for PhD in Environmental Economics

umedkejariwal 1 / 1  
Hi, I am posting the below SOP/Motivation letter for review as i have to apply on Tuesday.Kindly help me proofread, criticise, and offer suggestions. Thank you.

Statement of Purpose / Motivation letter / Letter of Intent

Festivals is all about enjoying and spending time with family and friends, we do the same at the cost of environment by busting crackers. It was during Diwali- the festival of lights in 2009, when I happened to spend time in Mumbai- the city of dreams. The very first impression of the city was not soothing to the eye. Tonnes of garbage, overflowing drains, heavy traffic, road congestion and much more. By evening crackers were busting everywhere and at one point I was struggling to breathe. For next few days there was no relief and eventually all became normal again. But, was it all normal? Where did the polluted air go or is there a natural sink provided by mother earth. What is the carrying capacity of the environment and what could be done to regenerate the same. These questions kept bothering me and the eagerness to know more about the ecosystem, climate and natural resources led me to my master's programme in Indian Institute of Forest Management.

I consider myself fortunate to have trained under the guidance of highly experienced and prominent faculty Dr. Madhu Verma on Ecological Economics and Environmental Valuation. It exposed me to the harsh reality of what is at stake. We need to understand that there is an intimate connection between the economics of development and the cost of environment conservation. Heartening to see that Ecosystem Services fall outside the present configuration of markets, they remain un-priced, un-owned and unaccounted in economic terms. During my studies I realized that our environment is slowly heading to the point of no return, and unless we do something about it. I gained insight into the environmental impacts of the future climate change and the economic repercussions it would follow. As part of the course curriculum I conducted a survey to understand the relationship between poverty and environmentalism by analyzing the responses of poor to their imminent neighbourhood environmental issues. It is during such visit that I realised that now is the time to walk the talk - inclusive growth, sustainable development and minimum emissions with minimal impact to environment. During my years in college, I have given talks on topics like Stern Review: The Economics of Climate Change, Silent Spring, Towards a Green Economy - Pathways to Sustainable Development and Poverty Eradication, Forest carbon index and The BASF Eco-Efficiency Life Cycle Tool.

During my study and field experience, I realized the importance of data analysis and number crunching, because we cannot control what we cannot measure. I felt that before going further on the way of academic research, it would be useful to get some experience on data analytics. Desire to learn analytics to support my research along with knowledge of environment and economy, landed me a job in one of the leading Microfinance Institute in bangalore. After completing my masters program, I joined the company where I am working as Market Risk Analyst. Some of my duties include data analysis, automation of reports, predictive modelling, presentations and sharing insights with the management team.

During my free time I work on freely available environment related datasets to analyse and build model. I wish to use my data analysis skills to analyse the existing model and build an efficient model that would help in sustainable development with low level of emission. We have lots of data available on the change in land use pattern, carbon emission over years, change in forest cover over years, climate change over years and many related fields. To make an informed policy decision, we need is to analyse these data, understand the future impact of the business-as-usual model and corrective measure to reduce these negative impact.

I like to think myself as an adventure seeking enthusiastic person who is capable to rise up to any challenge. I have variety of interests which include painting, travelling, trekking and running.

I now wish to continue my academic career with a PhD in Economics, and I cannot image a better place to perform my research than in the department of economics at the Norwegian School of Economics. The prospect of studying and learning in Norwegian School of Economics which has a great blend of faculty and students from all over the world excites me.

I realize the highly competitive demands of the program I am applying to, but I also believe that I acquire enough educational background and skills, ambition and motivation to cope with the requirements for a successful study at the Institute.

Thank You very much for considering my application and for your time!

Hi all, please review the SOP
Maria - / 1,098 389  
@umedkejariwal
Hey, dear. Welcome to the forum. I'm here to provide you with insight on your essay. I hope this feedback somehow helps you in the long-run. Best of luck as well for your PhD application!

Firstly, are you certain with how you would like to introduce your writing? You have taken quite an informal approach, considering that you had started with giving an intensive inquiry that's quite generalized. While the events you have written about may seem to be personal to you, the output that you've produced appears to be a tad bit over-dramatized, taking into account that this is a PhD application.

I suggest focusing primarily on your research-oriented qualifications for the program. Remember that this is the core activity or value that institutions are seeking for in their candidates. I have noticed that while you provided someinformation about your background, you were still unable to truly expound your thoughts and opinions. Focus more on adding concrete details that are more quantifiable/qualitative. Doing this would certainly boost your chances a lot more.

Lastly, you need to merge the last three paragraphs into a more conclusive and concise one to produce a more reliable conclusion. Try to evade overly explaining in this portion as your goal here should be focused only on ensuring that they understand how passionate you are about the program - and how much you truly anticipate it.
OP umedkejariwal 1 / 1  
@Maria - Thanks for response. I am new to this forum and not aware about the policy. Posting the update SOP for your kind review as it is urgent and need to submit application by tomorrow.

Letter of Intent

I appreciate this opportunity to provide further background information in support of my application for Environmental Economics PhD Program in XXX. I believe that my educational background, work experience and deep interest in the chosen field of study make me a very good candidate for the program.

I am very passionate about academics and research, and am also passionate about impacting society both near and far. As long as I remember myself I have always known that I want to study Economics and to be more specific its facets that concern Environmental issues.

As a child I used to wait for the festival of lights, Diwali to come. We celebrate this festival with lots of sweets, lamps and new clothes. With time the way we celebrate the festival and for that matter any good occasion has changed. The celebration of this festival is considered incomplete without the use of plenty of firecrackers. Firecrackers primarily contain sulphur, carbon, added chemicals, barium nitrate, aluminium, copper, lithium and strontium. When these firecrackers are lit, these chemicals are released into the air, reducing air quality drastically. To make matters worse, Diwali usually takes place in October or November when many cities in northern India face fog. The gases released from the firecrackers are trapped in this fog and increase the level of pollution exponentially. The levels of pollution in the air rise astronomically during these days. During my growing years I wondered where did the polluted air go or is there a natural sink provided by mother earth. There were many unanswered questions which motivated me to read more on the subject. My eagerness to know more about the ecosystem, climate and natural resources led me to my master's programme in Indian Institute of Forest Management.

I consider myself ... in economic terms. My graduate coursework provided me theoretical knowledge including economic models: methods, theory and application of tools used by companies in their holistic approach of life cycle assesment. The classes enriched my understanding of the actors' of environment conservation and sustainable development such as the government, organization and community. During this time I realized that our ...

... that I realised the importance of creating awareness, inclusive growth, sustainable ...

During my study... Risk Analyst. Working here has increased my ability to research, analyze and present key components for management's decision making process. My work typically involves qualitative analysis on the market risk and the liquidity risk of the firm. Some of my duties include data analysis, automation of reports, predictive modelling, presentations and sharing insights with the management team.

During my free time I work on freely available environment related datasets to analyse and build model. I wish to use my data analysis skills to analyse the available data and build an efficient model that would give insight to environment problems and the solution that can have greater impact. I seek to contribute to the topic of climate reporting by answering key questions regarding the status quo of international climate change reporting regimes; comparing mandatory versus voluntary disclosure schemes and effect on reducing CO2 emissions; and analyzing investors' reaction to climate-related disclosures. Research at <univ> will reinforce my knowledge on environmental economics and put these concepts in practice to achieve <goal in line with univ proj>. We have lots of data available on the change in land use pattern, carbon emission over years, change in forest cover over years, climate change over years and many related fields. To make an informed policy decision, we need to analyse these data, understand the future impact of the business-as-usual model and corrective measure to reduce these negative impact.

I like to think myself as an adventure seeking enthusiastic person who is capable to rise up to any challenge. I have variety of interests which include painting, travelling, trekking and running. I now wish to continue my academic career with a PhD in Economics, and I cannot image a better place to perform my research than in the department of economics at the XXX of Economics. The prospect of studying and learning in XXX University which has a great blend of faculty and students from all over the world excites me. I realize the highly competitive demands of the program I am applying to and believe that my drive and passion for Environmental Studies will help me to excel in my future research.

Home / Letters / SOP/Motivation Letter for PhD in Environmental Economics