Home / Letters   % width Posts: 6

I tweet, a lot, and I am very proud - A letter to isolationists, differentials, and non-tweeters.

adventoor 3 / 19  
UVA PROMPT: Tweet or Not to Tweet

Dear isolationists, differentials, and non-tweeters,

I tweet. And frankly, I am an avid tweeter. I am not ashamed. I am not regretful. I constantly hear boasting from those who refuse to make a twitter - why? We are the millennials. We are the most connected generation that has come upon this earth thus far.

after review:

Dear Non-Tweeter,

I tweet. And frankly, I am an avid tweeter. I am not ashamed. I am not regretful. I am however confused as to why you refuse to make an account. As millennials, we have a duty to live a more informed life than our predecessors. And twitter is a clear tool for fast, unfiltered news and information. When Michael Brown was unfortunately killed six months ago, I vividly remember Twitter bringing the news to the forefront and major news stations following after. When sexual assault cases were coming to light at major universities, Twitter allowed me access to first hand statements from the victims, whereas news networks simply did not have the air time for it. Of course there are websites, newspapers, and so forth, but the high concentration of current events in conjunction with rapid pictures, videos, and anecdotes from witnesses transforms Twitter into a major hub for information. But there are some worries. We constantly hear about the possibility of addiction and squandering of time, but can addiction ever occur when in moderation? Can squandering ever occur with a little discipline? Therefore, before you opt out in making a twitter, please hypothetically reflect on how joyous your life will become if you join Twitter. Think about how you will have more opportunities to add substance to discussions. Think about how you will win more arguments with raw information. Essentially, think about how much more of a well-informed citizen you will become.

Sincerely,

The Tweeter
docnp - / 6 3  
Of course there is the possibly of addiction and squandering of time. But can addiction ever occur when in moderation?

I feel like these should be connected with a comma, or maybe a semicolon just by the way I read this aloud.

I like the approach you took on it, but it seems like you are kind of condescending to people who people who don't have Twitter accounts. You are criticizing people who just don't want a Twitter. What if someone in admissions doesn't have a Twitter (Might be highly unlikely though)? You're basically offending them and telling them that they are static people who live in the past and are alone. Don't think offending someone who is thinking of accepting you into their college will go well.

The vibe I get from this, like I said, is critical on people who made that choice not to get an account. Maybe soften it up a bit and don't bring out all these negative aspects. I know you were trying to stick to the topic of Tweeting but there are certainly other ways of obtaining information rather than social media. The news, magazines, newspapers, the Internet! My parents don't have Twitters but that doesn't make them any less than someone who does, let alone not up to date on things.

As a final note, by the way you talk, it's almost as if you're saying just because we live in a technological age, it means we have to be forced to be 'current' and have all this social media. Yes, you bring out a nice point about how all this news can be brought to our attention with a click but as that saying goes, "life is full of choices", so does choosing not to have something all of a sudden make you lesser than others?

Just my thoughts and maybe something to think about.
OP adventoor 3 / 19  
Thanks so much for your advice! I am definitely going to take a less critical approach. I will be back soon!
OP adventoor 3 / 19  
Here is my updated letter! Please give feedback! I GREATLY appreciate it!
[...]
docnp - / 6 3  
I like it! More of a happier/positive tone compared to the last one and it almost seems like you've persuaded me to use Twitter (even though I already have one)! I like how you gave a very specific detail to the Michael Brown incident, which is good! From what my teachers tell me, adcoms like specifics! Then relating it to how Twitter is this hub of information that is fast and easy to obtain just basically explains why to Tweet, to be a more "informed person".

Good Luck!

PS I'd advise getting more advice from maybe parents or friends. Show them your first post, and then your revised one and see what they like the most; see if they have similar or different critics than me:D
OP adventoor 3 / 19  
Thank you so much for your advice! Hopefully it was specific enough. I will definitely get an older perspective on my essay!

Home / Letters / I tweet, a lot, and I am very proud - A letter to isolationists, differentials, and non-tweeters.