Home / Letters   % width Posts: 4

I'm well qualified; COVER LETTER(postdoctoral position-organic chemistry)

Alex 1 1 / 1  
Hi, Everyone!
Please help me with a cover letter for a postdoctoral position in organic chemistry. There should be intentionally omitted personal data in quotes. Any comments, corrections or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

REQUEST FOR POSTDOCTORAL POSITION

Dear Professor «last name»:

I expect to receive my doctorate degree in organic chemistry in March-April 2013, and am writing to explore the possibility of employment as a synthetic chemist at your «city name» location, particularly at «institution name». Recently I submitted my PhD thesis entitled as «title».

As I plan to carry out my research work at the junction of enantioselective organocatalysis, CH-activation and heterocyclic chemistry, the position in your research group seems to be very attractive. I noticed that you deal with N-heterocyclic organocatalysts. Besides your publications, I familiarized myself with several reviews («review 1», «review 2», «review 3») and found out that MacMillan organocatalysis is an exceptionally fruitful research area. Moreover, recently I had an opportunity to listen to an exciting lecture delivered by Prof. «first & last name», who developed an asymmetric imidazolidinone-catalyzed hydroacylation of unactivated alkenes. To be entirely sure of the right choice, I asked people who may know you, and received a positive reference. Thus, Dr. «first & last name», who carried out his PhD studies in Prof. «last name in the possessive case» group just like me, and currently works in «institution name», characterized you as a rising star in «city name».

During my work I dealt with numerous Michael acceptors. Among them are not only various «substance name», but also «substance name» and «substance name», so I have an experience in the synthesis and chemical transformations of these electrophiles, potentially interesting for MacMillan organocatalysis. But the most intriguing products one can expect from the interaction of Brestlow intermediate and «substance name». The latter are able to attach various nucleophiles to the 5-position (see PhD thesis, pp «XX-YY»). I also worked with a lot of organofluorine compounds as well as «substance name».

As you may notice, the focus of my research work done so far is shifted towards the classical organic chemistry rather than innovative and nowadays popular C-H activation, organocatalysis, MOF, metal-catalyzed coupling reactions, etc. In the same time I am no less ready to take on a completely unfamiliar project that you may propose relating to enantioselective organocatalysis. It would be more interesting and encouraging because I always try to broaden my horizons.

I'm well qualified for a job with your group-with the confidence, maturity, judgment, and references to back up my qualifications. I also hope that my current background and skills in combination with the desire to contribute to the most innovative chemical concepts can be useful in your research.

Please find attached my CV, list of publications, PhD thesis, and list of referees.
It is without hesitation that I personally have no doubt about a win-win collaboration that can be implemented in your group with my participation. I would be grateful if you could find time to answer me and to discuss the possibility of the employment.

Sincerely,
«my first & last name»

I guess you need to rearrange the order of your sentences. Finish talking about your studies and PhD thesis and then express your keenness on employment.

As I plan to carry out my research work at the junction of enantioselective organocatalysis, CH-activation and heterocyclic chemistry, the position in your research group seems to be very attractive. I noticed that you deal with N-heterocyclic organocatalysts. Besides your publications, I familiarized myself with several reviews («review 1», «review 2», «review 3») and found out that MacMillan organocatalysis is an exceptionally fruitful research area. Moreover, recently I had an opportunity to listen to an exciting lecture delivered by Prof. «first & last name», who developed an asymmetric imidazolidinone-catalyzed hydroacylation of unactivated alkenes.

My research interests are with enantioselective organocatalysis, CH-activation and heterocyclic chemistry and this is the reason why I find your research team very attractive. In addition my findings through the reviews in your publications confirmed me that MacMillan organocatalysis is an exceptionally fruitful research area. Moreover, I was very impressed with the exciting lecture delivered by Prof. «first & last name», who developed an asymmetric imidazolidinone-catalyzed hydroacylation of unactivated alkenes.
OP Alex 1 1 / 1  
Thank you very much for helping me!
What about grammar? I'm not native speaker. And I forgot to mention that the professor whom I'm addressing in this letter is of a Chinese descent. Should it exert some influence on the writing style? If yes, how can I improve the cover letter?
Grammar seems ok, it is the flow you need to pay your attention.

To be entirely sure of the right choice, I asked people who may know you, and received a positive reference. Thus, Dr. «first & last name», who carried out his PhD studiesin Prof. «last name in the possessive case» groupjust like me, and currently works in «institution name», characterized you as a rising star in «city name».

This is pretty confusing for me... especially the highlighted part.

soI have an experience in the synthesis and chemical transformations of these electrophiles, potentially interesting for MacMillan organocatalysis.

Well...it is also pretty difficult to follow what you wrote with so many undefined sections like

«last name in the possessive case

I feel you find a way out for that and repost this in a more readable manner... That really disturbs the readers attention to follow your essay.

Home / Letters / I'm well qualified; COVER LETTER(postdoctoral position-organic chemistry)