Home / Letters   % width Posts: 3

'I worked in Madagaskar' - Cover Letter Young Professionals Programme at the United Nations

DeCarvaS 1 / -  
Hi,
I need some help concerning my cover letter for the Young Professionals Programme at the UN.
Could you please help me? Thanks, Sarah

Application as a candidate for the Young Professionals Programme (YYP) at the United Nations -Human Rights

Dear Sir or Madam,
The Young Professionals Programme (YYP) is an initiative that was issued in order to open a way for international candidates to the United Nations. Candidates have to be able to promote international cooperation, understand the cultural and political issues involved in international work and show analytical and social skills. I would like to introduce myself as a proper candidate for the Young Professionals Programme (YYP) at the United Nations and illustrate my motivation in detail.

Currently, I am studying General Management (M.A.) with specialization in Human Resources in the second semester at the School of International Business and Entrepreneurship in Berlin and Stuttgart. The course is designed for young professionals already in a business career, thus I am employed as management assistant at a pharmaceutical company in Southern Germany. I shall complete my Masters of Business Administration (MBA) at the Universidade Católica de Santos in Sao Paulo, Brazil in November this year. During my bachelor's degree in Translation and Interpretingfor English, French and Portuguese at the University of Mainz, I already had the opportunity to spend several months abroad as part of internships in Ireland and Madagascar. During my time in Madagascar last year, I worked for the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) at the University of Antananarivo. There I worked closely together with several people from international organizations such as UNICEF or the German Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ). I gained a deep insight into Madagascan social and religious values and thus improved my skills in dealing with different cultures in everyday professional encounters.

I intend to participate in the Young Professionals Programme (YYP) after graduation. I am convinced that through my academic knowledge, previous experiences, the international focus of my master's degree and my interest in cultures, I am well suited for a career at the United Nations and as a candidate for the Young Professionals Programme (YYP).I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely
I look forward to hearing from you.

This sentence is not very helpful, and I think you should delete it.

Also, I think the first paragraph is not focused on the message you are trying to convey. That first paragraph tell them all about their program, but they already know about it. It really is better if you think of the most interesting or inspirational idea that has come to mind for you when thinking about getting involved in this program. Really ask yourself why it is meaningful for you and what you think is the best thing about the program. This essay needs to include at least one idea that expresses a THEME. What is the word or phrase that best expresses your motivation to join this program.

Another example of a place where there is no theme is this sentence:
Currently, I am studying General Management (M.A.) with specialization in Human Resources in ...and Entrepreneurship in Berlin and Stuttgart.----This is excellent, but you should revise it so that it expresses to the reader what this fact about you has to do with your ideas about how you will make a big contribution as a part of the organization.

If you read more about the organization, and think about your past accomplishments and greatest aspirations and talents, you will unearth the real distinction that sets you apart by making this letter interesting.

: -) Good luck! I'm sure they will be impressed with it.
I agree with the previous comments. Instead of telling them about their program, you should instead concentrate on informing them about how you were influenced by their program. That way you can still mention their goals, objectives, mission statement, etc. while not really rehashing what they already know. Since the concentration of the United Nations is on human rights, I strongly suggest that you discuss your stand on human rights in relation to your living in Madagaskar and how you plan to use your experience with the Young Professionals Programme to further your human rights work either in Madagaskar or other parts of the world. Concentrate on human rights. That is what the program is about. Let them feel your passion for human rights through your letter. That is what they are looking for and expecting of all the program applicants. I hope this helps you in further improving your paper :-)

Home / Letters / 'I worked in Madagaskar' - Cover Letter Young Professionals Programme at the United Nations