Home / Letters   % width Posts: 2

Write a letter to the head of your neighborhood.

Hafsa257 7 / 21  

the plans of building a large factory

You have recently learned that there are plans to build a very large factory near your neighborhood.

Assignment:-

Write a letter to the head of your neighborhood council giving your views about the plans. Begin your letter 'Dear Councillor'. Do not write an address. Your letter should be about 150-200 words long.

Essay:-

Dear Councillor,

As head of our neighborhood I thought it would be best to write you a letter regarding the plans of building a large factory near our neighborhood.

It will bring new jobs to our area which is a good thing but what about pollution? Building a factory near an active neighbourhood will bring about major issues like noise and pollution. Losing our lovely open spaces would be a waste. Our neighborhood is clean, open, pretty and we love it that way. Building a factory will ruin the peaceful environment of our neighborhood.

As head of our neighborhood it is your responsibility to maintain the natural beauty of our neighborhood. I understand that it will be wrong to stop progress but it is never too late to make the right decision. By taking action you will serve as an example to the next generation in keeping their neighborhood clean and pretty.

I hope that you will rethink your decision and consider the feelings of everyone in the neighbourhood.

Yours Sincerely,
Hafsa Javed,
29th April, 2020
I think you should be reminded of the differences between UK and American English. The two countries spell their words differently to differentiate between the two styles of the English language. The UK version uses the letter U often in its spelling, while the American English version does not. You spelled neighborhood in the essay using American English several times. You should be spelling it in the UK manner as "neigbourhood". When you learn the spelling differences, your LR score will greatly increase as you show a familiarity with the UK English ways. Don't worry though, you won't lose points for spelling in the American version. Allowances in scoring will be made for that as that the more commonly used version of English used throughout the world.

You forgot to use a comma after the conjunction "... progress, but there is never..." Remember, you can combine 2 different thoughts in one sentence if you learn to use the comma in strategic places within a sentence.

By the way, you should learn to use synonyms in your letters. There is just redundancy and reader boredom when you don't change up the reference to neighborhood. The examiner will believe that you have a limited English vocabulary because you could not refer to the keyword in several forms throughout the essay. Other words that mean neighbourhood are : district, parish, street, or suburb.

Home / Letters / Write a letter to the head of your neighborhood.