Home / Letters   % width Posts: 2

Write a letter, offering practical advice and reassuring students that they do not need to worry

Doie 1 / -  

Studying abroad - a letter

HI, I wrote a letter followed by this thread: "The student representative body at the university or college which you attend offers an advisory service to help students with their problems. As a member of the advisory committee, you have received a letter from a foreign student who is concerned about various problems related to studying abroad. Write a letter, offering practical advice and reassuring them that they do not need to worry." Can you help me fix this letter :(((

Dear Phuwin,
I am writing in response to your letter requesting advice about various problems related to studying abroad. I hope the following suggestions will be helpful to you.

The first thing I believe that every overseas student must deal with is the language barrier. Studying and living in a foreign country can help you improve your language quickly with students who have a solid foundation. On the contrary, if the foreign language skills are low, students will face many difficulties in catching up with the lessons and communicating in a completely different language environment. Even though you think you are fluent, you may not understand the local accent. Daily routines and activities are also completely restricted in a certain way. The main purpose of studying abroad is not only to master the language, but also to acquire specialized knowledge and develop thinking. To improve your language ability, besides studying at school, you also need to have a route suitable for your ability to catch up with everyone. For all of that I have some advice for you: Practice more before you begin your study abroad life, make friends with the locals, and do not hesitate to ask them to repeat the words you do not understand, use helpful online tools to help you overcome language barriers, learn the language and culture of the country that might be your dreamland.

In addition to the language barrier, there will also be difficulties in cultural integration. Each country has its own culture and you may find it difficult to fit in. This can be difficult when you live with roommates who were born in a country that is not culturally similar to yours. Not being able to integrate into the culture, you will feel lonely, feeling like you are an outsider. Surrounding yourself with people with different looks, fashions, and ways of communicating makes you feel disconnected. Although this barrier does not last long, it does make you more or less tired. However, do not let this discourage you. Step out and immerse yourself in your new life, that difficulty will pass quickly.

Not only do you experience culture shock in everyday situations, but you also face it right in your school. You may find that the professor has a completely different method of informing you about what you are used to. Assignments and tasks can feel claustrophobic, aside from the fact that it has to be written in a native language. This may be more difficult for international students who do not have a good foreign language background. Besides, studying abroad requires a great effort of self-study on the part of students, which is different from the domestic form of study. This takes quite a while to get used to, but you can make it because everything is possible.

I hope that these suggestions have been useful for you. I am looking forward to seeing you when the new term starts. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you require any further information.

Yours sincerely,
Đỗ Việt Anh
I am writing in response

Since this is a letter to a fellow student, you can take a less formal tone in response. Open by congratulating him on receiving the opportunity to study abroad. Begin your reassurances within the opening salutation. That way the reader can relax and know that advice is forthcoming.

Try not to over-emphasize the difficulties the student will be facing. You do not want to add to his worries and scare him needlessly. Try to take a positive tone in the letter. Blend the negative with the positive in every thought sentence. Immediately follow up with an idea proposal to help. Do not list just the difficulties then offer the positives and suggestions. The reader may not get past the negatives. Your duty is to inspire, not to create worry for the student.

The idea is to talk to a friend, not a subordinate. The student looks to you for emotional, mental, and social support in this instance. Think of how you would allay the worries of your friend, then write to that friend. That is how the approach should be. Not too formal, not too friendly. It has to be somewhere in the middle.

Home / Letters / Write a letter, offering practical advice and reassuring students that they do not need to worry