Home / Letters   % width Posts: 2

Writing a petition to get into graduate school, despite my low GRE scores

jbtaylor 1 / -  
Hi, I am writing a petition to get to grad school in spite of my low GRE scores. I haven't been declined from the admission, I am working with my advisor to try to get in, in spite of my poor score. I was hoping someone would be able to help me by revising and editing my essay. And possibly providing suggestions and/or feedback on my petition.Thanks a bunch! Also, any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Throughout Pro Teach, I dedicated lots of time and effort to my practicums placements as well as my classes. I have worked hard to maintain my grades, and I do not want my, score, on a standardized test to reflect the past two years and my future.

Although I do not have the required GRE score that would qualify me as eligible for acceptance into the program, I strongly believe that my test scores should not be the reason I do not get accepted. After conducting researching, on standardized test such as the GRE, and SAT, I have found some evidence that supports my reasoning of why my GRE scores should not determine my eligibility in the grad program.

First, in an interview with a master's trainer at The Princeton Review, it was stated that the GRE isn't an intelligence test and that it can't test how smart, a person is. The GRE doesn't test the kind of material that one will be asked to study in graduate programs and it doesn't even ask for someone to write the kinds of essays that people should write in graduate school. In fact, the GRE isn't even good at telling how well, a person, will do in graduate school; it is not a good predictor for performance. Second, standardized tests measure how well people take standardized tests. Graduate schools/programs should want great learners more so than great test takers. I would offer much more dedication, hard work, and motivated than is required to take a multiple-choice test.

In one of my current courses, Measurement and Evaluation, I have been learning about the different types of assessment, such as, the standardized tests like the SATs, and the GRE. Test scores require interpretations in the context of the child's life. This is why the requirements for standardized achievements tests should not be applied to individual children for high-stakes decisions such as promotion, retention, and enrollment eligibility. In addition, the multiple-choice format used on standardized tests, such as the GRE, is an inadequate assessment tool. It encourages a simplistic way of thinking in which there are only right and wrong answers, a scale which doesn't apply in real-world situations.

I am still trying to come up with a strong conclusion, if you have any tips, please share! Thanks!!!!!!!
Right off the bat I can tell you that trying to discredit a national or international standardized test is not the way you want to go in your essay. While I agree with you that the test is not an accurate reflection of your true academic capacity and interest in the course, the point is that the test is a part of the consideration for some college and graduate degree courses. So rather than trying to discredit the exam, own up to your short comings that could have led to your low test scores and then explain how those events adversely affected your performance. Aim to get the admissions officer to sympathize with your plight more than anything else.

Offer an insight into your actual ability as a student, as a learner, and as a social person. While the GRE did not reflect those aspects of your personality, you can openly discuss your strengths as a student and social person. Try to deviate the attention of the admissions officer to your strong points. Explain your strengths in such a way that will negate the GRE test scores without having to constantly tear down the test and the validity of its results. You will not be doing yourself any favors by doing that. Instead, you could earn the ire of the admissions officers instead.

For a strong finish, concentrate on your ability to deliver more than what the GRE test score would lead them to believe that you can achieve. Explain that while you understand that the GRE is an integral part of your admissions consideration, you have high hopes that your other credentials, accomplishments, and achievements will far outweigh any GRE shortcomings you have.

Home / Letters / Writing a petition to get into graduate school, despite my low GRE scores