Home / Letters   % width Posts: 4

Writing a letter of recommendation for one of my employees.

ofmorale 1 / 1  

invaluable member of our organization

Oscar has worked for NHW for almost 8 years. During this time Oscar has continued to hold positions of increasing responsibility. Starting as a sales advocate at the age of 16, he was quickly promoted to assistant store manager and then again to store manager, all within 6 months of being hired. As a store manager, his store grew into a production power house: sales increased month over month, the store became the #1 location in Arizona. His leadership caused his team to surpass their performance metrics in Sales, Customer Satisfaction, Profitability, and Growth. After successfully managing NHW's main store/warehouse, he was promoted to District Manager.

As a district manager he influenced the state, lending his expertise and support to 35 locations and over 120 employees. With careful consideration, he crafted plans of improvements for the location's operations, employee development and employee/customer retention. Additionally, his work led to an increase in profitability. He undertook a companywide initiative to recycle and resale old handsets, saving over $45,000 in the first quarter. In the process of doing that, he became the supervisor of the new department.

Less than a year as a District Manager, he was once again promoted to Area Manager where he now oversees a wide array of operations: Inventory logistics, onboarding, and finances. He has truly impacted our company with the passion he radiates for his work and coworkers. While he does spend a lot of his time molding employees to be better leaders, he also blends our company goals with the community through a wide array of events. He volunteers alongside our employees to make an impact in the various communities we service.

His core values are admirable, he is an honest leader that strides for his coworker's success. He works with the bigger picture in mind, he constantly reviews his work and assess areas of improvement to better benefit more people and the community. Transparency is something he continues to implement in all his work and methods.

He is an invaluable member of our organization, with his intelligence, ambition and fantastic capability for leading people. I have the deepest personal and professional respect for Oscar, and sincerely believe that he will bring a unique perspective, optimism and creativity to JHU's MBA program. Oscar has my highest endorsement. If you have any questions about this recommendation or my endorsement of Oscar, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards,
Alao0702 8 / 14  
... are admirable[,][;]he is ... that [strides][STRIVES]
... picture in mind[,][;] he constantly ...

The recommendation is fantastic! It is straight to the point. It shows comprehensively Oscar's personalities and strengths. In my own opinion, i believe the only missing piece is the part where you talk about your personal relationship with Oscar himself. That, i believe, should come in the opening paragraph in a sentence or two.
The content of the letter is too broad to represent the impression of only one supervisor on the job for a particular person. That is the biggest problem that the letter has. This is also a problem that can be easily fixed by editing the content of the paper into the proper manner. First of all, you must identify yourself as a member of the company Oscar works for, the capacity that you work in at the company, a definite explanation of the time frame and work duties that you interacted with Oscar on (by the way, introduce Oscar by his full name and from that points on, address him as Mr.XXX throughout the letter). He may have started at the company when he was 16 but that does not mean that you have dealt with him since then. Honesty is the best policy in a recommendation letter. Remember, you may be asked to attest to the veracity of the letter in a verbal interview. Focus your letter only within the time frame within which you had direct physical contact or observable instances of interaction with Oscar.

Actually, this does not sound like you are writing it for Oscar, it sounds like you are writing it for yourself. After all, your name is Oscar Morales. That is something I caught on to not only because of the way that you are named after the person you are supposedly writing the letter for, but also because you covered way too much information that only a person who has intimate, instead of professional knowledge about the person, can provide. If I saw through this, imagine how the person who is going to sign off on this letter will suffer at the hands of the interviewer when he is asked to confirm this information. This is a letter that will be seen immediately as a lie by the reviewer and this could end your chances of getting a student slot at the university. The reviewers are trained to spot fake recommendation letters, so don't even try it.

Revise the letter to cover only the information I advised you to include above. That is your best bet at getting this letter confirmed as an authentic letter and also, allowing the person who will be interviewed to not be caught in a lie during a possible verification interview.
OP ofmorale 1 / 1  
@ Holt
I used that name, since I myself had never heard of this website, and that being said probably wont have use for it past this letter.

I understand what your feedback says, When he started worked with us the company was still fairly small and I had the opportunity to work directly with the majority of the managers. He worked in the main office which put him in my direct supervision for his first two years, which is what my letter mostly focuses on.

Later, I try to transition to a broader aspect of things he has done that I do not directly supervise as he works in the office with me.

But rereading the letter I see how its a lot of content that seems far fetched.

*I updated my name to avoid any further confusion.

Home / Letters / Writing a letter of recommendation for one of my employees.