Home / Poetry   % width Posts: 3

Analysis on the poem: Road Not Taken

amy_sensei 1 / -  
I was wondering whether anyone could look over and check my 450 word analysis.
The prerequisites are an approx 50 word summary and 450 word analysis.
In class, we are case-studying "Personal Journeys" and I chose this poem to do for my task.
It has to link back to personal journeys but I am not sure on how to do so.
Thank you in advance!

Robert Frost's poem The Road Not Taken endeavours into the choices amongst life decisions that all humans eventually have to make that can change their lives forever and the human tendency to reflect whether their decision was the right on or regret that they didn't choose other paths.

Frost innovative creativeness is vivid as the whole poem is one extended metaphor. Frost implies that "two roads diverged" is not just a walk in the park but this phrase has a greater meaning, symbolising life decisions. Having described these life decisions as roads show they are man-made by the wider society. By this metaphorical poem, the audience's first instinct will be to imagine themselves in the woods with a fork stuck in between two paths to give a clear idea of what the poet is experiencing.

One's life decision should not be an impromptu thought but has to be thoroughly considered, as he analyses one path in depth, as he quotes "long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth." When comparing the two paths, frost describes the other path with imagery and symbolism as "green and wanted wear". This shows a human attraction to risk as the other path is suggested to be fuller of life than the dull, foreseen problems he may face having seen the path "bent in the undergrowth".

In the third stanza, the poet doesn't know which path is better as he uses a metaphor "in leaves no step had trodden black" to illustrate that both paths are equal and have been untouched as of yet on a particular day. As he is unknowing of anyone who has experienced either path, he can't receive any guidance and advice that could make his decision any easier.

The majority of the poem is a tone one of reflection. The poet suggests that the poet considers to take a chance of fate unknowing and in fear of obstacles that may be faced later as the excerpt describes" Then took the other one, just as fair, and perhaps had the better claim" even though he hasn't looked into the second path thoroughly enough, he decides that he needs to make a decision quickly with the possibility of making the wrong choice in the future.

In the last two stanza of the poem, in addition to the reflection, he also adopts a regretful tone as he finally shows independence and courage having chosen a path in life. He shows slight self-confidence but in a state of repentance as high risk of implication could make all the difference to his life. The words "sorry" and "sigh" in the first and last stanza compliments the regretful tone that is set in the last 2 stanzas as these two words emphasise the importance of the decision made and how he will not know what the outcome will be like until he travels it.
nk1992 1 / 4 1  
The majority of the poem is a tone of thoughtfulness. The poet further considers taking a chance of fate and in fear of obstacles that may be faced later as the excerpt describes" Then read the other one, just as fair, and perhaps had the better claim" even though he hasn't looked into the second pot thoroughly enough, he decides that he needs to make a decision quickly with the possibility of making the wrong choice in the future.

I think you should write a summary of the poem at the end. Maybe you could try using transitional phrases like " To sum up" , "In brief" or "In short"

Also, just mention the main highlights of the poem in the summary para. Try to keep it short (3-4 sentences)
thutyedaniel 32 / 38 17  
Hi @amy_sensei

Robert Frost's poem The Road Nn ot Tt aken endeavours into the choices amongst life decisions that all humans eventually have to make thatbetter you use "which" can change their lives forever and the human tendency to reflect whether their decision was the right on or regret that they didn't choose other paths.

make sure your spelling such as endeavours (endeavors), symbolising (symbolizing), and emphasise (emphasize)

Home / Poetry / Analysis on the poem: Road Not Taken