Home / Poetry   % width Posts: 4

Imaging Two Poems - Essay Paper HELP

amharp5 2 / 2  
I need some help, rework...anything! I've got a block in the place where my brain used to be! Please someone help me with this paper! It's supposed to be on contrast and comparing both poems. Suggestions?

Imaging Two Poems

Amy Lowell and Robert Browning describe the night and how powerful they can contrast and compare using images of nature. Lowell uses the night imagery of stars to light the sky "Scattered the milky dust of stars" (7). Browning uses the night imagery for a touch of romance "Pawing at the green porcelain doors of the remote heavens" (4). Both use the moon as a setting to illuminate and expose the night. Robert Browning constructs his night image with the land, more grounded than Lowell; "Three fields to cross till a farm appears" (8). Browning reflects the sea as a calm and neutral entity; "The grey sea and the long black land" (1). Lowell uses the sky as a platform or highway to heaven for the horses to stand on; "The white mares of the moon are all standing on their hind legs"(3). A poet's main goal in prose is to create a story which could be short or long, using more libretto to develop descriptive images, with humor or drama only to be interpreted by the reader using the classification of imagery with sight, sound, smell, taste and touch. An intense poem must carry the poignant and logical currents of the poem. "Night Clouds" by Amy Lowell, describes the darkness of night. The mares are limited to fly at night because they will disappear with the sunrise, "The white mares of the moon rush along the sky/ Or the tiger sun will leap upon you and destroy you" (1-8). Figuratively speaking, the tiger will eradicate the mares from the heavenly skies. The situation is already fragile for the mares are "beating" (2) in the "glass heavens" (2). A poem can instill a prevailing and romantic mood during the night time. Robert Browning's poem "Meeting At Night," constructs an almost exclusive by direct images and numbers from the meeting between the two people under the night sky; "Than the two hearts beating each to each" (12). The language of the third and fourth lines, there is a fragment or hint of figurative image in the implied analogy between waves and living creatures: "And startled little waves that leap/In fiery ringlets from their sleep," (3-4). This also intercedes the ocean can have a mind of its own, like changing it's mind, "startled" (3) and "Fiery" (4) in a moments notice. Browning and Lowell share their images of the moon. Browning uses the moon as a gentle setting for what is to come; "And the yellow half-moon large and low" (2). Lowell uses the moon as a catapult for horses to run using the moon: "The white mares of the moon rush along the sky" (1), capturing the essence of strength and toughness.. The commonality of the moonlight strongly affects the substance of both poems. Browning describes "Then a mile of warm sea-scented beach" (7), strongly characterizing the couple's affectionate flowing love for each other but assigns an indecisive degree of color, not black or white but of "grey" (1) , reflecting that nothing is absolute in love. Colors can give substance to concrete descriptions and convey several types of moods.. Lowell uses the colors to describe; "white mares of the moon" (1-3) and "golden hooves"(2), giving a high status of their heavenly horses, to parallel the purity of the moon. Browning uses darker colors to blend more with the nightly elements, more secretive; "The grey sea and the long black land/ and the yellow half-moon large and low" (1-2). Lowell uses the concrete color "white"(1) denoting a certain innocence, creating the mood of playfulness for the herd of horses, flying across the night sky; "The white mares of the moon rush along the sky"(1). Browning uses a darker color, creating a feeling of secrecy premising two characters meeting at the house; "And a blue spurt of a lighted match/And a voice less loud, thro'it's joys and fears" (10-11). Length and measurement is noted in each poem, each mentioned as wide expanses but some with limitations. Browning uses his earth-bound location in using the length of the beach; "Then a mile of warm sea-scented beach/Three fields to cross till a farm appears" (7-8). Lowell also uses measurement, without any limitations: "Pawing at the green porcelain doors of the remote heavens" (4).

The structure and organization of the two poems were similar as they each had two sections broken down. Browning's explicitly shows there is a split between line 6 and 7 with a "II." With Lowell, it can be implicitly known by reading the poem carefully. To be more specific, the turning point of the poem would be after the mares enjoy their mini adventure, "Fly, Mares!" Any longer and they would be overtaken by the "vermilion tongue." (5). Also, the "heavenly" feel of Lowell's poem only adds more to how it looks a little Shakespearean. On the other hand, Browning is more along the lines of humanistic romance, appealing to what most humans would find attractive. The energetic flow of the mares gliding across the heavens is a sunrise waiting to be born as a tiger and at the same time end the mare's lives. The next time you look at the sky, think about what you see and maybe you can construct a new poem with stunning images of the moon creating a new story of your own.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good afternoon.

How about some of your personal interpretation on your topics? For instance, why do you think one author uses a pastoral setting while the other a seascape? Is there any significance of this in relation to the entirety of the text? What about the biographies of the authors? How did they grow up? What area? What kinds of lifestyles were they exposed to? Did any of this influence (possibly) their view of nature? The significance of animals, namely mares, in the pastoral setting sticks to this theme. Are there other areas where this theme is applied?

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
OP amharp5 2 / 2  
Thanks for your help! They are great ideas, I'm having an issue starting out, maybe you can help me in that department?
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
As far as an introduction, I believe in writing that last. Once you have the text you can write an effective opening, but not before the rough draft is at least completed. Once you've got that, we can start work on the intro.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com

Home / Poetry / Imaging Two Poems - Essay Paper HELP