Home / Poetry   % width Posts: 14

Thesis ideas for Comparing and Contrasting two poems

amharp5 2 / 2  
Good evening,
I have an essay due in two days but trying to come up with a thesis on comparing and contrasting two poems, "Night Clouds" by Amy Lowell, who describes compares meaning to cloud formations with stallions in the night sky by using symbolism and imagery; one for physical sensation and the other for nature. Robert Browning's poem "Meeting At Night," instills a prevailing and romantic mood during a nocturnal time constructed almost exclusively by direct images and colors from the night sky.

Ok, I know each have the night in common, just not sure what my main point to start with. I tried this: "Even though both poets write about the strength of night, and how powerful they can be with images of nature, they vastly have different meanings and outcomes." Any ideas?
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good evening.

Well, why do you think they both take place at night? What is so special about the cover of darkness in these two works? What about nature? Because the night sky is a natural phenomenon, could you compare the two portrayals of the same phenomenon?

As for the contrasts, you could use, as you say, the different meanings instilled by both authors as well as their different results.
A list could help you get more organized with your thoughts. Write down a quick note about the commonalities and differences between the two; that should help you get started.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
OP amharp5 2 / 2  
Hi Gloria,
I appreciate the quick response, I can compare the night and contrast each meaning of the night, and those results!
I will do that with a list and press on from there.
Thank you again and take care,
Andy
mannsbabygurl44 - / 2  
Need help with comparing and contrasting 2-3 poems

I don't understand poetry...What should I do????
sbrooks10 2 / 18  
Do you have any other options? Is this a supplement or a required essay?

If it's required, I would suggest googling poetry techniques that you could cite as similar or dissimilar in each. Examples of some techniques are: imagery (not only visual but also the creation of any sensory experience, smell, touch, taste), diction (word choice, kind of a lame one), structure (of the entire poem), tone, meaning/ theme, point of view, syntax (how each line/ sentence is organized, subject, verb, object and what not), alliteration (repeated sounds)...

I hope that helps!
mannsbabygurl44 - / 2  
It does help...Thanks. Just not sure I can get 3-4 pages out of that : /
Yes, start with the poem you understand the best. Google this: poetry analysis (title of poem)

... and read about what other say about it. Google the title of the poem along with various words listed above, like tone, meaning/ theme, point of view, syntax (thanks Steaphanie! Good advice!!

After you write a page about each poem, tell about the similarities AND the differences among them all.
d7821890 - / 1  
Contrasting and comparing two poems

I need help in comparing and constrasting the essay mentioned above. The author of both poems is Marjorie Agosin. Thanks.
MutedHandWasher 1 / 1  
In what ay do you need help? as in outlining? analyzing? etc.
There are 2 methods for doing a compare/contrast essay. Google this: compare, contrast, essay, alternating, opposing

If you are having trouble, the first thing to do is write a sentence about something... something about one of the poems. If you want, you can google the name of the poem with the word "analysis" and see what other scholars say. But write that sentence. Write anything you want to write.

Then, give, examples and some explanation, and soon it will become a whole paragraph.

Every paragraph starts with a "paragraph topic sentence."

:-) I hope that helps you!
Vennessa - / 1  
Help in compare and contrast poem essays.

Hello, please I need help on how to write compare and contrast essays between two poems. The poems I have are; Fifteen by William Stafford and The Seven Ages of Man by William Shakespeare. I already have my rough draft, but I don't know how to expand on it. Do I just need to explain the meaning of literary devices? Please, I need your help.

Thanks.
tannerazm 1 / 5  
I gave you a chance
To water the plants
I didn't mean that way...
ZIP UP YO PANTS!
usernameabp - / 1  
I need to compare and contrast a poem and a work of fiction.

i need to analyze a work of fiction and a poem and develpo a thesis that conmapres and contrasts them on a chosen theme. does anyone know of some peices of work i could use??
fieldofdreams 1 / 2 1  
How about looking at first world war literature. I loved the book - Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks. It is very readable. And you could compare and contrast it with a war poem, for example Dulce Et Decorum Est by Wilfred Owen. They both show the horrors of war, but in very different ways.

Home / Poetry / Thesis ideas for Comparing and Contrasting two poems