Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 2

Child Maltreatment: The long-term effects

Mmo 1 / -  

At first thought one may assume that once a child is removed from a toxic, unhealthy environment that the child will go on and live a happy and healthy life. Despite the fact that the child may be in a better environment, in fact the child may go on and coincidently continue to live an unhealthy lifestyle as adults. Often times, individuals continue living with these disastrous effects due to insufficient awareness and treatment plans that exist. These effects pose a negative effect not only on these individuals but also to the community. The after effects of child maltreatment are severe and may damage an individual's life ranging from mental problems to economic difficulties in adulthood. The voices of those children that once desperately needed help now as adults need to be heard to ensure that they receive the adequate treatment in order to diminish the after effects that child maltreatment leaves behind.

Child maltreatment claimed 702,000 victims in the year 2014 according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). "The Extent and Consequences of Child Maltreatment" by Diana J. English showed a possible link between the long-term effects of child maltreatment. Over a 30 year study, former child abuse victims now as adults were at higher risk of having developmental problems. This depending on the type and duration of abuse. Individuals then turn to other ways of feeling accepted or feeling better by then turning to drugs and other risky behaviors. The problem is knowing what to do when times get rough and no one seems to be around. Some victims who take part in this risky behavior simply do not know what to do or who to turn to.

Another source that showed a link with child maltreatment and its long-term effects is "The Long-Term Health Consequences of Child Physical Abuse, Emotional Abuse, and Neglect: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis" by Rosana E. Norman, Munkhtsetseg Byambaa, Rumna De, Alexander Butchart, James Scott, and Theo Vos. It presents a systematic review and meta-analysis identifying all research on a topic and combining the results of multiple studies to better understand the effects of child maltreatment. Researchers found 124 articles showing a relationship of child maltreatment as well as the onset of adulthood health problems. It showed that individuals who were abused were three times more likely to develop depressive and other mental disorders than non-abusive individuals.

The Child Welfare Information Gateway an administration that promotes the safety and wellness of children and families of the US Department of Health and Human Services, also showing a link with the after effects of child maltreatment. It was estimated that 905,000 children were victims of child maltreatment in 2006. The article stated that children who had been abused are prone to having high-risk behaviors. Depression and anxiety rooting from the child maltreatment effects can ultimately lead a person to the abuse of alcohol or drugs or smoke.

Seth Pollak, in the article "Adversities In Childhood And Their Impact On Mental Health Across The Life Course" presents his findings that children who were exposed to a toxic environment and traumatic events were at increased risk to have academic, health, social as well as other problems as adults. In the article Pollak tells how children who have been in these types of environments may show effects immediately however for some, effects may show later on in life.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a national agency helping to protect the public against health and safety threats showed a link of the effects of child maltreatment in adulthood. The article stated that the consequences of child maltreatment can affect children in the present but also also in the future. The abuse could lead to poor mental and physical health into adulthood. In a long-term study 80 percent of young adults met the criteria of having at least one or more psychiatric disorder such as depression, eating disorders and anxiety at the age of 21.

The authors Meeyoung O. Min, Sonia Minnes, Hyunsoo Kim, and Lynn T. Singer in the "Pathways Linking Childhood Maltreatment And Adult Physical Health" present a life-course model showing a link between child maltreatment and health problems as adults. It is seen in the model that behavioral strategies such as substance abuse are used by victims to cope with maltreatment. Further evidence show that child maltreatment increases risks of smoking and drug use. Findings from prior studies helped explain and validate the life-course model. This article would be of use to institutions being well equipped to reduce child maltreatment that will ultimately improve physical and mental health among victims.

There are many sources from multiple individuals providing links between child maltreatment in effects in adulthood. Victims of child maltreatment go on and live a life of substance abuse in order to cope with the emotional side effects of having such a tragic childhood. As adults, they also live a life of having to deal with mental health problems that affect many if not all of their daily activities. Depression and anxiety are one of the few mental health consequences that can root from child maltreatment. Both of which have become too common. It is apparent that these individuals need to have resources available to help them cope with these issues in a healthy manner. Individuals need to know that this is not something that has to be dealt with forever.

Not only is the individual suffering the consequences of the once abuse they endured but our communities are suffering as well. The community is affected by the illicit drugs that are being consumed and bought in what could be our backyard. Even those this is a way of coping for the once victim to escape there mind of the horrific emotional effects of child maltreatment. This poses a dangerous threat to the individual consuming it as well as those them. Nothing good can come out of substance abuse therefore the community must unite and raise awareness and help those in need of it. The effects will not stop but will continue to follow the individual up into adulthood until it can consume them and put them in a dark place once again.

To conclude, the most important fact is that individuals who have been victims of child maltreatment need specialized treatment. The number of individuals that suffer from the tormenting

To prevent the further damage of adults further suffering from the effects of child maltreatment, it will take the community's effort to inform those that the abuse does not stop after a child is removed from a toxic environment. Individuals need to seek further treatment to identify which specialized treatment plan they will need to undergo. If these steps are taken, further damage will diminish to the individuals but as well as in our communities.

Works Cited
"Child Maltreatment: Consequences." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 14 Jan. 2014.
Web. 10 Mar. 2016.

Child Welfare Information Gateway. "Victims of Child Abuse Suffer Long-Term Consequences."
Family Violence. Ed. Dedria Bryfonski. Detroit: Greenhaven Press, 2013. Current
Controversies. Rpt. from "Long-Term Consequences of Child Abuse and Neglect." 2008.
Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 10 Mar. 2016.

English, Diana J. "The Extent and Consequences of Child Maltreatment." The Future of Children 8.1
(1998): 39-53. Jstor. Web. 10 Mar. 2016

Meeyoung O. Min, Sonia Minnes, Hyunsoo Kim, Lynn T. Singer . "Pathways Linking Childhood
Maltreatment And Adult Physical Health." Child Abuse & Neglect 37.6 (2013): 361-373.
Academic Search Premier. Web. 10 Mar. 2016.

Pollak, S. "Adversities In Childhood And Their Impact On Mental Health Across The Life Course."
European Psychiatry 33.(2016): S1. Academic Search Premier. Web. 10 Mar. 2016.

Rosana E. Norman, Munkhtsetseg Byambaa, Rumna De, Alexander Butchart, James Scott, and Theo
Vos. "The Long-Term Health Consequences of Child Physical Abuse, Emotional Abuse, and
Neglect: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis." PLOS Medicine. 27 Nov. 2012. Web. 10
Mar. 2016.
ichanpants89 [Contributor] 16 / 777 309  
Miriam, your topic is interesting, I like it. The way you linked the ideas is also impressive. Even though the essay is quite long, I like your lexical resource development, it seems like you have a wide range of vocabularies. Perhaps, the thing that I am able to do is only giving some corrections to your grammatical accuracy and punctuation. Then, you can see the description below for a breakdown of grammatical issues, with corrections applied.

- This dependingdepends on the type and duration of abuse. (no verb)
- The problem is, knowing what to do... (comma needed)
- i n Childhood a nd Their Impact o n Mental Health a cross t he (preposition and article should not be in Capital letter)
- the present but also also
- Maltreatment a nd Adult (another capital problem)
- Further evidence shows that..
- victim to escape theretheir mind
- to the individual consuming it as well as those them. (confusing)
- substance abuse, therefore (comma needed)
- The effects will not stop, but will (comma needed)
- The number of individuals that suffer from the tormenting.. ? (is it incomplete?)

One more thing, for your conclusion, is that incomplete? I am not really sure of that.

Overall, good work on this research paper. I hope you find that my feedback is helpful. :)

Home / Research Papers / Child Maltreatment: The long-term effects