Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 3

Classical Mythology - Which of these Thesis Statements is the best?

stephaniealfl 3 / 5  
Hello,
The topic of my Research/Thesis paper is Classical Mythology (more specifically Ovid's Metamorphosis) in Shakespeare plays.

I am open to grammatical touch-ups, etc.

Thanks in advance.

1) Because William Shakespeare alluded many of his plays to classical mythology, there is an extensive amount of evidence that Shakespeare was familiar with mythological works, specifically Ovid's Metamorphoses.

2) Because William Shakespeare alluded many of his works of literature to classical mythology, there is direct evidence that Shakespeare was familiar with Ovid's Metamorphoses.

3) There is a direct correlation between William Shakespeare's plays and Ovid's Metamorphoses.

4) Although many readers would agree that William Shakespeare wrote the most profound literature of his time, many would be in dispute over the fact that Shakespeare derived many of his ideas from Ovid.

5) Shakespeare's allusion to classical mythology in many of his works offers considerable evidence that he was familiar with Ovid's Metamorphoses.
Roger Bishop - / 13  
Shakespeare's allusion to classical mythology in many of his works offers considerable evidence that he was familiar with Ovid's Metamorphoses

In his writings Shakespear often appers to alludes to classical methodology, can this be considedred as evidance that he was familiar with Ovid's Metamorohoses?

If you set the thesis up as a question it is easer to choose your position in an argumentative essay. "can this be considerd as evidance that he was famiiar with Ovid's Metamorphoese?" The writer (you) believes that the evidance points to the fact that he (was) (was not) (may have been)

Hope that this helps.
In his writings, Shakespeare often appears to allude to...-------I made a couple small changes to fix typos here.

I guess I like the 5th one because it is simple, and it makes a statement that you can argue about. Someone might say, "No, the themes are similar because they are universal themes!" and you would argue that there are particular commonalities that are so specific to be coincidences.

As you write, imagine someone disagrees with you and that you have to persuade her. :-)

Home / Research Papers / Classical Mythology - Which of these Thesis Statements is the best?