Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 40

'Diabetes Mellitus' - a research essay on Diabetes?

ash_12 1 / 17  
PLZZZ..i need help with questions!!!i havent made up the qustions yet..any suggestiopns???
hungvud 19 / 30 6  
Well, In the essay you can point out some reasons which can lead to diabetes in a person ( 3 or 4 reasons, you can easily find them in internet, how many reasons depends on the length requirement of your essay), its harmful effects on one'life and then you can suggest some healthy ways of living to prevent diabetes. I think this kind of essay is not very difficult to write.

Good luck!
OP ash_12 1 / 17  
But i dont know wht questions to answer in my essay...(outline)...
ah_zafari [Contributor] 40 / 672 148  
Hi, Ayesha would you please explain about the question and the topic that you want to write about?? What is exactly your problem? I could not get it? Do you have a problem with choosing a topic for writing about??? Are you seeking for a topic to choose?
OP ash_12 1 / 17  
Hey, yes i am looking for a topic to write about...but i was thinking of Different types of diabetes...wht do u think?
thnkx
ah_zafari [Contributor] 40 / 672 148  
Well, there are a wide range of choices. You can choose a political topic. For example you can compare the foreign and domestic policies of two different countries (consider the differences and similarities).

You can also talk about the poverty in a country like India. I read an article about this issue yesterday. This country has a lot of sources of income, but the number of poor people is too high in this country. You can analyze the different aspects of this issue.

A topic that may be more interesting is a social one. Talk about the traditions and cultures in two different parts of the world. Try to find the way that they may influence each other and compare them. About 3 years ago I did a similar work. I compared the Far-east and Western cultures.

Wedding is another attractive topic. The traditions of a wedding ceremony is different from one country to another one.. Have you heard about "White Wedding"? this is just an example. There are an extensive range of examples in this case.

Another political topic. U can discuss about the role of different international organizations in the world such as the United Nation. Are they important? Are they useful? What are the main goals of such organizations? (just choose one and discuss about it)

I have lots of idea in my mind. If these are not your favorite let me know the field that you wish to write about

Regards
Ahmad
OP ash_12 1 / 17  
Actually, My dad has diabetes, and i wanna learn more about it...i hope u understand...

Thnkx for ideas, they r actually preety good...
ah_zafari [Contributor] 40 / 672 148  
Hi, I am sorry for that. I read the word "Diabetes" in a wrong way. I thought that is "debate". Sorry, it was just a funny mistake and misunderstanding :). So ignore my ideas.

But about this topic:

Introduction: I think you can open the introduction with a sentence about the number of people who suffer this disease. This may shock a reader and can draw the attention of him/her. Then write about the different types of that.

And the body: allocate each paragraph for discussing one type of diabetes.

conclusion: restate the first paragraph and write an ending statement. I recommend a prediction as a clincher.
OP ash_12 1 / 17  
I need subtitles too... I got diabetes 1 ,and 2 ,and signs and symptons, and any other suggestions... ???
ah_zafari [Contributor] 40 / 672 148  
You can find a great outline at "wikipedia.org". The classification, signs, causes,etc. This website can lead you to a right way for writing this paper.
OP ash_12 1 / 17  
I have that...but i need help making up my final outline...i have this right now:

1. Introduction:
- Include the number of people that suffer this disease.
- Answer what's diabetes?
- Name the reader different types of diabetes.

wht else should be included in intro??

Thnkx
ah_zafari [Contributor] 40 / 672 148  
I think writing about the history of the disease and even the etymology of the word "diabetes" can be interesting in an introduction.
OP ash_12 1 / 17  
hmmm..so u mean i should include 2 or 3 sentences about these two...??
ah_zafari [Contributor] 40 / 672 148  
Yes, history and the meaning of a word are always attractive for people. In this way u can provide a comprehensive paper about this disease.
OP ash_12 1 / 17  
Thnk u...so now i Got this:

1. Introduction:
- Answer what's diabetes?
- Brief history: etymology( where the word comes from)

2. Type 1 diabetes:
- What is type 1 diabetes?
- What Are the effects of type 1 dieabetes?

wht else should i include..??Still *Thinking*

hmmmm...wht about the medications taken???
ah_zafari [Contributor] 40 / 672 148  
one more thing that I think u can add it to the body is the ways by which the disease can be improved or you can talk about the ways preventing the disease. I recommend you to search for new scientific findings in this concern.
OP ash_12 1 / 17  
wht should i add to this sub topic??like wht details in this paragraph??

Thnkx for the advice...This place is really helpful...
ah_zafari [Contributor] 40 / 672 148  
The subheading would be one of the following terms :

-New scientific findings
-Preventive measurements
-How to stop diabetes
-xxx(a number) ways for preventing diabetes
and the like
OP ash_12 1 / 17  
I mean like wht details should i add to type 1 dieabetes>??
ah_zafari [Contributor] 40 / 672 148  
U should choose the same structure for different types of diabetes. What you write for type one should be repeated for type 2, and so on.

beside the things that I told you above, you can add these details: 1) The roots of the type 1 (genetically, and the like), 2) Medication is a good idea as you said, 3) New methods for curing this type, 4) Diet: I am not sure, but may be the diet of people should be changed according to the type of the diabetes. 5) If physical activities are important in this issue you should talk about it . 6) discuss about each type in the US, the country that you are living in .
OP ash_12 1 / 17  
i dont understand the ROOTS..wht do u mean by tht>>??
IELTSPT 2 / 5  

Well about this matter, you can tell about the 3 types of diabetes:
- Type 1 also Diabetes Mellitus. When a person is insulin-depent
- Type 2, usually it appears if you are with obesity or you are older and with a sedentary lifestyle
- Gestational diabetes, When a pregant become to have diabetes while is carrying a baby.

You can also tell about the diferent kind of insulins which exist in the market!

The problems that can occur with diabetes...
How you can fight against such problem...

I hope I would be helpful for you!
I'm diabetic type 1 and I'm Portuguese. If you need further details, please reply to this :D

beside the things that I told you above, you can add these details

ah_zafari you are write about some topics!
1) the roots, how diabetes can appear in somebody
2) which kind of medication for each type of diabetes
3) Theres no cure for diabetes only permanent treatment so I don't think it is a good topic
4) Diet is really important in any kind of diabetes. You can speak in a low fat diet with a lot of vegetables. You can also speak about soups before importante meals like dinner and lucnh. And also yur food is directly proportional with the quantity of activity you have.

5) Physical activity is really important. More you make exercise more you reduce the quantity of meds you would take
nina2 1 / 5  
well having diabetes, you have to be very organized and well understood of what the consequences are if you are not going to take your medicine on time. my brother has diabetes. every morning he has to use his insulin, if he forgets, later on during the day he will pass out if we dont give him chips,juice,potatoes, etc depending if his sugar is too high or too low
OP ash_12 1 / 17  
This is what I got for my outline..please check and tell me if im missing anything:

DIABETES MELLITUS

Outline:

1. Introduction:
- Answer what's diabetes?

(...)
ah_zafari [Contributor] 40 / 672 148  
The outline looks fins, but I think you should add some statistical information about each type at the body. For example, how many people suffer type 1 in different continents and discuss about the reasons why the patients of the type in a specific place of the world are higher than that in another area.
OP ash_12 1 / 17  
But thats going to be too much..and a big essay..it will make the reader go to sleep/bored...

wht abut now?

DIABETES MELLITUS

Outline:

1. Introduction:
- Answer what's diabetes?

2. Type 1 diabetes:
- What is type 1 diabetes?
- How many people suffer from this type in U.S.?
- Signs and symptoms
- Medications

3. Type 2 diabetes:
- What is type 2 diabetes?
- How many suffer from this type in U.S.?
- Signs and symptoms
- Medications

4. Gestational diabetes:
- What is gestational diabetes?
- Signs and symptoms
- Medications

5. Diagnosis:
- How the diabetes is checked from a specialist?

6. Diabetes treatment/ self care:
- Self care at home
- Things you can use to check diabetes regularly

7. Conclusion:
- Sum up of everything in 2 or 3 sentences
ah_zafari [Contributor] 40 / 672 148  
:))) If you think so, in my view the outline is OK, just one thing has left. U should write it :))) Good luck
OP ash_12 1 / 17  
what if i do it only for USA? ill write one sentence for that...
ah_zafari [Contributor] 40 / 672 148  
Yes, this would be better. You are living in the US and such information may be interesting for American. Gather some information about different states and try to compare them
OP ash_12 1 / 17  
I meant like a percentage of each...is tht ok? Or mayb ill make a table/graph to compare the three types...(I guess)) :P
ah_zafari [Contributor] 40 / 672 148  
Table is a good idea. You can give a general view about the percentage of patients of each type in the US. But, I think beside this, a line-graph can make your discussion stronger. A line-graph is a good tool for providing such information. U can choose three main states, for instance, and then allocate the x-axes to the name of the states and y-axes to the percentage of different types in each state.
OP ash_12 1 / 17  
Can I ask u something? Are u like one of the admins from this wbsite>>??JUst curious!!!
ah_zafari [Contributor] 40 / 672 148  
:)))) Is that strange for you that I am here most of the time?? No, I am not. I am here to help other students because this makes me happy, especially helping them in writing an article which is my favourite. In addition, I search in the Internet for various things as I check new threats here. So, I do my personal works beside putting comments on the other people's essays :))))
IELTSPT 2 / 5  
Your outline seems great for me!

As ah_zafari said, you should compare among 3 states, maybe the states with more incidence on diabetes.
With a line graph you can compare with more then 3 states so it is a good choice.

If you'll need any help on any kind of information about diabetes and medications and theirs usage, feel free to post any further questions

Good luck on your write
OP ash_12 1 / 17  
Thnk u everyone so much for your help...once im done ill post my essay..
lnddancer1 1 / 1  
Hi, I'm sorry would you mind helping me with my essay about group therapy?
viviana15077 7 / 21  
You would need a strong intoduction which consists of a thesis statement. 3 or 4 points for body. You could stick with one statement, one example policy. Body can include the symptons, effects or even adverse effects . Conclusion is the most important part to let the reader know that you are summarizing your essay.

Look out for run-ons, sentence fragments.
Diana Safiy 2 / 5  
Hello Ayesha, try to read more about the topic that you are going to write. Not only that, read a lot of essays that could improve your thinking. Ahmed zakari also told you about good examples that you can write.
hadi1981 25 / 44  
Hi ah_zafari,

I really appreciated your work and would like to be a friend with someone like you.
Keep going on what you are do, you are talent in it..
Best regards
Hadi
OP ash_12 1 / 17  
Please check, for edditing...{ :

Diabetes Research Paper

Introduction:

Based on the results of 2011 National diabetes, approximately 25.8 million children and adults in United States have diabetes; and that's about 8.3% of the U.S. population. Diabetes Mellitus is a condition in which the pancreas no longer produces enough insulin or cells stop responding to the insulin that is produced, so that glucose in the blood cannot be absorbed into the cells of the body. There are different types of diabetes. The three main different types of diabetes are Type 1 (DM), Type 2 (DM) and Gestational Diabetes. The word diabetes comes from Latin diabetes, which in turn comes from Ancient Greek (diabetes) which means "a passer through; a siphon". Ancient Greek physician Aretaeus of Cappadocia used that word, with the meaning "excessive discharge of urine", as the name for the disease. Mellitus comes from the classical Latin word mellitus, meaning "mellite" (i.e. sweetened with honey). It was Thomas Willis who in 1675 added "mellitus" to the word "diabetes" as a designation for the disease, when he noticed the urine of a diabetic had a sweet taste (glycosuria). This sweet taste had been noticed in urine by the ancient Greeks, Chinese, Egyptians, Indians, and Persians. So that's why it is called Diabetes Mellitus.

Type 1 (DM):

One type of diabetes is called Type 1 (Diabetes Mellitus). It is also named as "Juvenile Diabetes". This type is usually diagnosed in children and young adults. In type 1 diabetes, the body does not produce insulin. It occurs when the body's immune system attacks and destroys the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas, called "Beta cells". Insulin is a hormone that is needed to convert sugar, starches and other food into energy needed for daily life. About 3 million Americans have type 1 diabetes in the U.S.A. Some signs and symptoms of type 1 diabetes are:

- Lethargy
- Smell of acetone
- Nausea
- Vomiting
- Abdominal pain
- Stupor
- Weight Loss
- Kussmaul Breathing (hyper-ventilation)
- Smell of acetone
- Nausea
- Vomiting
- Abdominal pain
- Frequent urination
- Unusual thirst
- Extreme hunger
- Extreme fatigue and irritability
- Sugar urination

People with this disease are mostly given insulin injections that they have to take several times a day; or they are sometimes given pumps which are also used multiple times a day. People with disease must carefully balance insulin doses either by injections or pumps with eating and daily activities throughout the day and night. Another thing that they are given is called the blood glucose meter, which is a small machine that can be used to measure the amount of glucose (sugar) to in your blood at the time of testing. People with this are also told to exercise, to maintain and balance the sugar/glucose in your blood.

Type 2 (DM):

Another type of diabetes is called Type 2 (Diabetes Mellitus). This diabetic disease is more common in people than any other type of diabetes. This type is more common in old people; people about age 20 or older. It is so common that, people with this type are not even aware that they have diabetes. Type 2 is more common in African Americans, Latinos, Native Americans, and Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians and other Pacific Islanders, as well as the aged population. In type 2 diabetes, either the body does not produce enough insulin or the cells ignore the insulin. Insulin is necessary for the body to be able to use glucose for energy. When you eat food, the body breaks down all of the sugars and starches into glucose, which is the basic fuel for the cells in the body. Insulin takes the sugar from the blood into the cells. In America about 37 million people have type 2 diabetes. That is about 38.2% of the whole population. Some signs and symptoms of Type 2 include:

- Any of the type 1 symptoms (often people with type 2 diabetes have no symptoms)
- Frequent infections
- Blurred vision
- Cuts/bruises that are slow to heal
- Tingling/numbness in the hands/feet
- Recurring skin, gum, or bladder infections
- Polydypsia
- Glycosuria

Metformin is generally recommended as a first line treatment for type 2 diabetes, because it decreases mortality. They are also given a medicine called prandin. They have to eat prandin right before they eat, about three times a day. They are also given another medicine called Januvia. When insulin is used in type 2 diabetes, a long-acting formulation is usually added initially, while continuing oral medications. Doses of insulin are then increased to effect. They are given several types of medicines, and they mostly depend on whether you have more problems including diabetes or not. They are mostly given an insulin injection to help lower their blood glucose level. They are also mostly told to eat oats, which helps balance blood glucose level too. Just like for type 1 diabetic people, type 2 diabetic people are also given a blood sugar level meter. From which they check their blood glucose level. They are often given machine to check their pulse rate. Mostly they are told to exercise and walk a lot, to balance their sugar levels. If there sugar level is low, they are most likely to get dizzy, and they must be given with something sweet to eat immediately.

Gestational Diabetes:

Gestational diabetes is a temporary form (in most cases) of diabetes in which the body does not produce adequate amounts of insulin to deal with sugar during pregnancy. It is also called "glucose intolerance" or "carbohydrate intolerance". Gestational diabetes occurs in about 2%-5% of all pregnancies and may improve or disappear after delivery. Gestational diabetes is fully treatable. Even though it is fully treatable, it requires careful medical supervision throughout the pregnancy. About 20%-50% of affected women develop type 2 diabetes later in life. Some signs and symptoms of gestational diabetes include:

- Sugar in urine
- Unusual thirst
- Frequent urination
- Fatigue
- Nausea
- Frequent infections of bladder, vagina and skin
- Blurred vision
The biggest part of treating gestational diabetes is controlling the woman's blood sugar levels. There are things the doctor can do in order to control the woman's levels and keep them at a safe and normal amount. Those things include, closing monitoring of the woman's baby, self monitoring of blood glucose levels, insulin therapy (if it's necessary), and diet and exercise management. There are greater chances, that the women will develop type 2 diabetes later in life.

Diagnosis:

Doctors use special tests in diagnosing diabetes and also in monitoring blood sugar level control in known diabetics. They do those tests to check whether your sugar levels are balance, high, or low. They also check if you have any other disease including high cholesterol, heart diseases, or any other medical problems. Some common tests they do are called, "Finger stick blood glucose", "Fasting plasma glucose", "and Oral glucose tolerance test "," Glycosylated hemoglobin". The finger stick blood glucose test involves sticking the patient's finger for a blood sample, which is then placed on a strip. The strip goes into a machine that reads the blood sugar level. These machines are only accurate to within about 10%-20% of true laboratory values. In the test for fasting plasma glucose, the patient will be asked to eat or drink nothing for 8 hours before having blood drawn. If the blood glucose level is greater than or equal to 126 mg, they probably have diabetes. For the oral glucose tolerance test, it involves drawing blood for a fasting plasma glucose test, then drawing blood for a second test at two hours after drinking a very sweet drink containing up to 75 grams of sugar. If the blood sugar level after the sugar drink is greater than or equal to 200 mg/dL, the patient has diabetes. If the blood glucose level is between 140 and 199, then the patient has impaired glucose tolerance (IGT), which is also a prediabetic condition. And lastly, in glycosylated hemoglobin test it measures how high the blood sugar levels have been over approximately the last 120 days.

Conclusion:

So, there are 3 main types of diabetes. 1 type is called Type 1 diabetes mellitus, another type is called Type 2 diabetes mellitus, and the third type is called Gestational diabetes. These diabetes have some signs and symptoms, but they also include the medication. Even though the diabetes in type 1 and 2 cannot be fully treated, they are still provided with medications that can keep their blood glucose levels maintained and balanced. The third type, which is the gestational diabetes, has a treatment. Even though they are fully treated, they are still provided with careful medical supervision through pregnancy. There is a great chance that after the delivery the woman will develop type 2 diabetes. There is another type, but it is not so common; it is called the "prediabetic" which means that there are chances that you will get diabetes. For every type of diabetes mellitus, there is one common solution that you need to exercise to maintain, and balance your diabetes.

I know its long but plz check...

Home / Research Papers / 'Diabetes Mellitus' - a research essay on Diabetes?