Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 2

Discuss the accuracy of the historical setting...

Seks 2 / -  
...in a novel. This is my first ever research paper for English.

So, for this topic, all I am doing is taking bits and parts from the novel and using secondary sources to support them???

For example...

In the novel, "King John Doe died on Jan 1 1900"

In a book written about King John Doe, I'd take the part where the author mentioned the date King John Doe died to support what was mentioned in the novel?

I am in NO way providing any opinions or criticizing the accuracy of the history setting, is that correct?
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

My understanding of the assignment would be that you are to look at the historical details the author provides and essentially test their accuracy by looking at research that has been done. For example, in the novel, a large banquet is held and the nobles are described as eating with knives and forks. You could search history books and scholarly journals to discover whether that is an accurate portrayal of utensil use. If the novel is set in the 4th century, your research would likely show that forks had not yet been invented; thus, the novel contains an historical anachronism.

Because you are discussing whether the setting is accurate or not, I would consider that "criticism." You are giving your opinion based on the supporting evidence.

I hope this clears it up a bit!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com

Home / Research Papers / Discuss the accuracy of the historical setting...