Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 3

Essay On Early Childhood Play and Education

Amerzy1588 1 / -  

child development topic

Over the last several years the topic of child development as it relates to play and educational success has become a hot topic of discussion. Current research has lead us to the idea that there are two very different types of play. This first type of play is focused or intentional play. This kind of play involves more education activities such as blocks, letters, role playing or reading. Another form of play is unfocused or free play this form of play usually takes place on the playground or with a set of peers. There are many differing strategies on not only different types of play but the specific activities involved to attain a desired outcome. Also, up for discussion has been different kind of play and their individual benefits that are applied. There are key characteristics that both parents and teachers are trying to develop. Social, math, English and literature development are the key components involved in the growth of the early childhood mind. It seems to parallel the base behind different types of active education involved in school. During research I've noticed that people are on polar opposites of these opinions. While these opinions may change what is clear is that every just wants the best for our children and is willing to do whatever it takes to give them their best shot.

There's many different opinions on the subject of play and childhood growth. Two of the articles that I chose to study seems to represent the same theme of structured or focused play. In the article by Rebecca Jorgensen she says "Play provides children with opportunities to express their thoughts and feelings both verbally and non verbally" (page 2, paragraph 2) In her article she goes into depth about the

uses of play in therapy. She discusses that with children especially very young children where their concepts of communication and feelings are so fresh that this is their main form of communication. In that same paragraph she says, "play in itself does not usually produce change and that it is the therapist's interventions and utilization of play that creates change." This also applies to education, that while play can be used to display where they are at emotionally and intellectually, it is necessary to have adult involvement to experience maximum growth. In the article Back-to-Basics: Play in Early Childhood by Jill Englebright Ph.d, she poses the question in the beginning, what is play and why is it so important? She then discusses how Websters defines it:"light, brisk, or changing movement (e.g., to pretend you're a butterfly), to act or imitate the part of a person or character (e.g., to play house), to employ a piece of equipment (e.g., to play blocks), exercise or activity for amusement or recreation (e.g., to play tag), fun or jest, as opposed to seriousness (e.g., to play peek-a-boo or sing a silly song), the action of a game (e.g., to play duck-duck-goose)." (page 1) Then proceeds to discuss why these avenues of learning are important. She then discusses how play is used as the main avenue to create and facilitate major problem solving skills, it also helps them create non verbal and verbal communication skills, self identity and fine and major motor skills. She also identifies the physcological types of play onlooker, solitary, parallel, associative, cooperative. These two article delve into the more scientific arena of play and help answer most if not all questions that involve play and growth of a child.

Another aspect to this concept of focused play, is a technique called therapy through play. It is used in family settings and in individual settings. By using focused playing as a therapy technique, you can teach children to emotionally learn and not just academically. Since most children have delayed verbal communication skills using play to help them communication techniques to discover what they are thinking and feeling. Some of the ways this is implemented is by dolls houses and seeing what the children do with the different dolls and

accessories. Also there is a technique called color your life, in which the adult asks the child what different colors represent as emotions. This helps you identify what their associations are, and examine their emotional stability. Specialist use play because "Play provides children with opportunities to express their thoughts and feelings both verbally and nonverbally"(page 334, paragraph 2). It this idea the play can not only help a child learn but lead to better communication skills and better rounded kids going into the future.

In the realm of play there is two schools of thought that predominate the conversation. While the first aspect is structured play or focused as it's also called the other side to that coin is unstructured or free play as it's commonly referred to. In this form of a play is it extremely encouraged to allow the children to teach each other, the foundation under education systems such as Montessori. In the article

by Sarah Punkoney she describes the function of free play and the purpose of it. She describes that from a physiological standpoint free play allows children to act on their intuitive natures which involves impulse control. By allowing them to free think in the moment you are actually controlling the amount of time they will act impulsively during inappropriate moments by giving them outlet to use these feelings. She also shows the ways this from of play allows for the children to handle conflict resolution, math skills and even language

development. In another article by Kyle Snow PH.D involves the break down of the thought processes behind the idea that free play is the driving force behind learning. He ends the article with saying there is not enough information to make a claim that it is the best, but necessary for of child development, nor is the claim that children learning this way are somehow left with a better educational foundation. While these articles are discussing the concept of free play and the claims the educational schools make that this form of learning is the most important building block it seems the is a premature proclamation. While both of these concepts have valid points they are making the overall thought that comes to mind is that more research must be done to determine what is the best avenue for children to be learning in. At this assumption it is my understanding that the best option to gain information must be through survey and interview. By talking to parents of older children, what younger parents are doing and valuing about other type of play and education. It must also be discussed how this has affected or will affect the children moving forward. There aren't going to be that main challenges surrounding my topic. If there's things people are passionate about their children and their education. The difficult part is going to be going through the information and pulling out the relevant information versus inconsequential. While beginning my research I've already noticed just the immense amount of information there is to be read on both of these topics. Between layman and genuine specialists there isn't going to be a difficulty finding people wanting to discuss the role of play and education.

This topic is important because it helps us tie in our at home learning with school education. How can we modify our home experiences to better help them be more successful long after we are no a primary focus? While, I do understand the role of free play in young development I find that the evidence that structured play is more beneficial is more compelling. By role playing store or super hero's with them it allows adults to affect the ways in which their brains make connections and tie in things they do on their homework versus just letting their minds do whatever it is they want. We should be interested to learn more on free play and it's role so we can be a better steward of time together. You are being trusted as liaison between the children teachers and their education and learning and it should be a goal to be able to facilitate to the very best ability and that first and foremost starts with knowledge.

Laura Lewis Brown, Comparing Preschool Philosophies: Play-Based vs. Academic . Choosing a School . Education | PBS Parents. (n.d.).

Jessica Howard, The True Benefits Of Structured Play! | Little Pnuts.

Annie Murphy Paul, Kids Need More Structured Playtime, Not Less - The New York Times.

Sarah Punkoney, The Incredible Benefits of Dramatic Play in Early Childhood Education.

Kyle Snow PH.D, Research News You Can Use: Pretend Play Is Important But Its Role in Learning is Complex | National Association for the
Education of Young Children | NAEYC

Andrea K. Wittenborn, Anthony J. Faber, Ashley M. Harvey and Volker K. Thomas, Purdue University. (1988). Emotionally Focused Family Therapy and Play Therapy Techniques.
Amy, you accidentally placed your thesis statement at the conclusion of the essay. Move it up to the last part of your opening paragraph. This will require you to edit the content of that paragraph because it it's going to run way too long. Trip limit the focus of the opening paragraph to the presentation of the that's statement in relation to the importance of this research study instead. Try to not use 2 quotes from different speakers in one paragraph. It tends to confuse the reader. However, if you paraphrased the information and frame it as an explanation in your own words instead, then you can use 2 different sources in one paragraph. Limiting the number of woes in your essay will also strengthen the discussion further. You will need to create a new concluding statement though. One that will better wrap up the discussion than your current effort.
ezgifilik 4 / 14  
Hello Amy,

I would suggest you to review your essay in terms of grammar. Here are the some mistakes:

Current research has lead us to the idea - has led us
more education activities - educational
There's many different opinions - there are

I like your quotations but to me, you should smooth the transition between the quotations - that would sound more natural. And if possible, try to decrease the number of quotes since it's a bit difficult to follow like this.

In general, I like your essay and the points you made. Good luck!

Home / Research Papers / Essay On Early Childhood Play and Education