Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 2

ENG102 - Taking a Stand Against Bullying

horriblewriter1 1 / -  
I am stuck on how to proceed, I feel like all my information is coming from other sources or statistics.

Taking a Stand Against Student Bullying

Approximately 28% of U.S. students in grades 6-12 have experienced bullying ("Facts About Bullying"). Another 70.4% of young people have witnessed bullying in their schools ("Facts About Bullying"). These percentages are increasing, as children have more access to computers and social media, which increases the ways bullying can occur. My research indicates that bullying is a big problem is America's schools and that many students do not even report it for fear of making things worse. The effects of bullying last long after the bullying stops. Bullying has become an alarmingly important problem for parents, schools and society. This paper will present facts on the long-term effects bullying has on our youth and what can be done to end it.

Bullying, when an individual or a group of people with more power, repeatedly and intentionally cause hurt of harm to another person or group of people who feel helpless to respond, occurs both in person and over digital devices ("Definition Of Bullying"). One way that bullying occurs is in person. Verbal bullying consists of teasing, name-calling, taunting and threatening to cause harm. Social bullying happens when people leave someone out of a group on purpose, telling people not to be friends with someone, spreading rumors and embarrassing someone in public. Physical bullying involves physically hurt another person's body, by hitting, kicking, punching, pushing or breaking someone's possessions.

Another way that bullying can occur is called cyberbullying. Cyberbullying occurs over digital devices and has become more frequent with the increased used of social media. Cyberbullying can occur on social media sites, such as, Instagram, Snapchat or Facebook. It can also occur over text message or email. Additionally, cyberbullying can occur through video games, such as Minecraft or through X-box. The problem with cyberbullying is that the bullies can be anonymous, therefore it is harder to stop. Another problem with cyberbullying is that it is harder for parents to monitor as they do not have constant access to their children's digital devices. An increase in cyberbullying has led to an increase in childhood deaths.

The victim, is the person that is on the receiving end of the bullying. Anyone can be bullied. Children that have learning disabilities are more likely to be bullied. There are certain risk factors depending on the age of the child. Boys are more likely to be a bully in the younger years but as they age, they are more likely to be bullied. Younger children are more likely to be bullied at school, when there is minimal supervision such as the playground or during lunch. Whereas older children are more likely to be bullied through social media. Children that are different in some way are more likely to likely such as, being overweight, having a physical deformity or children that have academic problems (Vanderbilt and Augustyn, Sect. Epidemiology and risk factors, Para. 6).

Bullies bully because it makes them feel important. When they hurt others, it makes them feel better. Boys that have a history of physical abuse or alcohol use having a greater chance of exhibiting bullying behavior. Data shows that people that bully are more likely to have experienced a stressful or traumatic event within the past 5 years. Sometimes bullies have low self-esteem so they bully to make themselves feel better. According to a study by Ditch the Label, 66% of people that admitted to bullying someone else were male.

There is another group, besides the victim and the bully, and that is the bystander. The bystander can be that who encourages the bully and that who stands by without helping the victim. Bystanders can also feel the effects of bullying even if they are not being bullied themselves. The constant worry if they will be next or the fear of retaliation if they bring attention to the situation.

The forth group is known as the bully-victim. The bully-victim is someone that has both been the bully and the victim. The bully-victim is the most vulnerable to long-term effects. People who have been bullied are more than two times as likely to go on to bully someone else. Bully-victims use that as a defense mechanism.

There are both short as well long-term effects of bullying. The short-term effects of bullying can often be overlooked as they can be mistaken for common childhood issues. Most times the bullying has been happening for a while before a child seeks help and even then, it is not until there are unexplained physical signs, that causes parents to ask questions. According to a UCLA study of 2,300 students in eleven middle schools in Los Angeles, they found that a high level of bullying was associated with lower grades across three years of middle school (Hurley, Par. 4). Other short-term effects include, social isolation, sleep disturbances. Low self-esteem, not wanting to go to school, psychosomatic symptoms and depression.

The effects of childhood bullying last well in to adulthood. Children who are bullied when they are younger have an increased risk of developing anxiety disorders, depression and suicidal thoughts, according to a study by researchers at Duke University School of Medicine. According to William E. Copeland, an assistant clinical professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at Duke University, "This psychological damage doesn't just go away because a person grew up and is no longer bullied. This is something that stays with them. If we can address this now, we can prevent a whole host of problems down the road" ("Long Term Effect of Bullying", Par. 3).

Another long-term effect of bullying is increased rates of suicide. According to a study by Yale University, victims of bullying are between 2 to 9 times more likely to consider suicide than people who have not been bullied.
Maria - / 1,098 389  
I can't quite pinpoint what type of citation format you are using. From what I can see, it's supposed to be APA; the construction of your citations, however, comes off as quite confusing. I would suggest that you try to be more concise and consistent with its usage.

On another note, I would say that you need to have more correlation between your title and the content of your essay. What exactly is being asked for in the essay's requirements? It seems as though your title is dedicated for a discussion on what should be done to go against bullying; however, the text you have in the essay is composed mainly of definitions related to bullying. While the latter is essential, it shouldn't be the main component of your essay - not unless you are specifically asked to do this. It would be best if you could expound more on perhaps various organizations that tackle bullying; you can even provide an extensive analysis of how academic institutions, for instance, handle these situations. You just need to be a more creative with the content that you come up with.

If you're concern is regarding the usage of other sources, it is always good to keep it to a minimum of at least two per page (300 words). It is also recommended to only have citations on the first half of the paragraph - not on the latter portions. A general rule of thumb is that if you do not necessarily have to cite everything. Things that are common knowledge, for instance, do not need to be cited. This is reserved for information that may be too specific or technical for a regular person to know.

Every critical essay is also expected to have a portion that contains an analytical perspective all from you. This part is supposed to contain your personal interpretation of the information. Since every essay contains a fundamental question or query that you are trying to resolve, it is only right to have a portion that is dedicated to answering that. From what I can read from your first paragraph, your essay is supposed to answer to what should be done regarding bullying in terms of at least diminishing it. What I can suggest therefore is you try to create your own answer/interpretation to this. What should be done on the ground/communal level to answer to it?

I have noticed that the fundamental mistake you had for your essay is the fact that you did not have quite a specific structure to follow; it was quite all over the place in terms of content. I would highly suggest that you try to be clearer when it comes to your essay's purpose. Try to distinguish what you want to accomplish by the end of all the text.

Best of luck.

Home / Research Papers / ENG102 - Taking a Stand Against Bullying