Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 2

"An eye for an eye"; Hammurabi's Code of Laws

mickey4691 1 / -  
How is my essay so far? I am no quite sure if I'm on a right track. Essay should focus on:

1. Identifying information (bibliographic citation or other identification of the document) and detail pertaining to the time period in history during which the primary source was written/published - What history/events propelled the author to write the document? Set the historical stage - establish what was going on in the time period of the author.

2. Concise restatement of the main point, including the historical situation and other background - what does the document communicate to its audience?
3. Major conclusions/intentions of the author - what is his purpose for writing this?
4. Explanation or Correlation, as to your opinion, of the author's conclusions and their relevance in history referencing historical facts as a basis for your opinion - what EFFECT did the publication/writing of the document have on history and specific events? How does the writing AFFECT events/history as we know it today?

Essay:
The Bronze Age around the time period 1200 BCE rooted urban civilization. With this type of civilization, ruler ship and authority came into existence. Civilization grew as agriculture took its play. Farmers who reap more were considered wealthier or high in ranks. Those farmers that have acquired wealth gained superiority from here on. Along with the farmers were craftsman who built tools. Wealthy famers became chiefs. Chiefs became city leaders and would hire lower ranks to work on lands. This is how slavery was established. City leaders merged, so did trading. From here one, civilization was at its peak of rising. With all these ruler ship and power, Kings came into play. With Kingship, empire came into play. Empires would rule and subdue other areas and regions. Also, corruption occurred in civilization. This corruption occurred typically because of ranks. People of higher ranks would take advantage of those of lowers ranks and vice versa (source). The people of Babylon were engaging in actions that would provide them with some form of pleasure but the actions would affect others. Those civilizations with greater power took advantage of the lower civilization. This and other smaller activities were corrupting the society and as such, some order was needed to free disturbances and restore peace. The King of Babylon's first empire, Hammurabi, sought out to the Gods for the Gods have entrusted him with superiority to the land and the villagers. With this superiority, he constructed the stele of the Hammurabi's Law. The Hammurabi's Code of Laws was written and published in 1750 BCE.

The Hammurabi's Code of Laws is based on a simple principle of lex talionis which means "an eye for an eye". The laws that are mentioned in the code were stern. Modernized civilization would scrutinize these laws in a different perspective as to those ancient civilizations who were governed by these laws. The people of Babylon considered these mere rules as part of their lifestyle.

King Hammurabi wanted to keep the society in an order. He may have wanted equality of every person in the society. According to the Laws of Hammurabi, we can see how the laws were targeting different people of the community, that is, family (husband, wife and children), farmers and craftsman (laborers), freed men/women and slaves (poor and prostitutes) and those of higher rank (warriors and temple keepers). Despite the fact of their ranks and profession, they abide by the rules which made each individual as part of a whole organization and having a sense of belonging. However, the poor were treated in a much harsh manner. Due to an empire's power, looking down on the poor is a common act.

The law codes though stern and strict, did provide or bring to the society peace. The laws might have scared away wrong-doers and mischievous persons. However, a lot of these laws did not sound reasonable. For example, law 45, (King) this will not make tillers want to till lands since weather is indeterminate and in the end, the tillers can be in debt. Also law 132 (King), accusation is easy. If there were a lot of accusation, majority of the women would be exhausted with the act.

Hammurabi's empire fell apart but he brought about justice in the land (Turning Points in History). This justice is transcended in modern society but the strict laws have been altered. As it was said, "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" (Gandhi). Gandhi might have said this due to the Law Codes. This is why there is little to none vengeance justice.
The Bronze Age around the time period 1200 BCE rooted urban civilization. With this type of civilization, ruler ship and authority came into existence.

The Bronze Age around 1200 BC is the era where the roots of urban civilization can be found. In this type of civilization, formal administration and authority came into existence.

Farmers who reaped more were considered wealthier or higher in ranks

Those farmers that have acquired wealth gained superiority from here on.Along with the farmers were craftsman who built tools. Wealthy famers became chiefs. Chiefs became city leaders and would hire lower ranks to work on lands. This is how slavery was established.

These wealthy farmers gained superiority over the others and became Chiefs in their social circles. These Chiefs then became rulers of their villages and began to hire lower ranking people on their farmlands.

Home / Research Papers / "An eye for an eye"; Hammurabi's Code of Laws