Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 5

Film reception theory: The Interview Questions

daolena 1 / 2  

Kurosawa Akira's movies

1.How long have you researched Kurosawa Akira's movies? What are topics from Kurosawa Akira's movies that you concern?

2.Many Japanese critics as well as Japanese audiences don't like Kurosawa Akira's movies because they supposed that Kurosawa's films are too Western? As a Western scholar, do you agree with this statement?

3.Kurosawa Akira's movies have always new concepts which we could use several contemporary theories to explain them. Do you agree?

4.Do you concern how the meaning of Kurosawa Akira's movies are created in Western cultures?

5.In reception theory, the contextual factors will help to create the meaning of the movies? Are there any Kurosawa Akira films which you discover their new meaning which is only found in the Western context?

6.I really like your paper in AAS conference. So, what's are your motivation to do this research?

Please help me give some advice for these interview questions. Thank you!
Le, if you are doing this as an interview of someone who is considered an authority on Akira Kurosawa movies, you need to use establishing questions first that will introduce your interviewee as an authority in the field. Some establishing questions you can ask of the person to help strengthen his position as a person who has a full knowledge of the topic are as follows:

1. What was your first exposure to Asian films?
2. Prior to attending college, what activities did you participate in that cultivated your interests?
3. Where did you study Asian Film Studies?
4. What is your current profession in relation to Asian films?
5. What was the first Akira Kurosawa film you saw?
6. What did struck you about his work the first time you viewed it?
7. What led you to do further research on Kurosawa's work ?

These sets of questions will help you further develop the authoritative position of your research and interview.
OP daolena 1 / 2  
Holt, thank you very much for your suggestion. However, my questions are used for a film scholar who has experienced in research of Kurosawa Akira's movies. How do you think about this?
kacanakya 5 / 12 3  
@daolena
Hi, daolena. I think the questions that were suggested by Holt are relevant to your intended interview target (a film scholar who has experienced in research of Kurosawa Akira's movies).

The people who will read the result of the interview need to know whether the interviewee has relevant knowledge, skills, etc. to the topic of the interview. The reason why the interviewee's opinion is suitable to give insight on the interview topic.

I think "authority" as mentioned by Holt is not limited to people who have direct relation to Kurosawa Akira or the creation of his movies.

It can be someone who's done many research regarding Kurosawa Akira's movies, so that his opinion can be recognized as worthy.
OP daolena 1 / 2  
@kacanakya
Thank you for your explanation. I got it.

Home / Research Papers / Film reception theory: The Interview Questions