Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 3

"GMOs and Your Health" - Review and critique my research essay for ENG 102

emilyeacharles 1 / -  
Please review and critique my research essay. I have posted 3 categories for review on the last page, but am open to all suggestions!!!

GMOs and Your Health
In North America, over 80% of foods contain genetically modified organisms ("GMOs and Your Family", par 1). Some of the most common genetically engineered foods consist of corn, soy, cotton, canola, sugar beets, Hawaiian papaya, alfalfa, and squash ("GMOs and Your Family", par 3). In the United States alone, 92% of corn along with 94% of cotton and soybeans are genetically engineered ("Center for Food Safety | Issues | GE Foods | About GE Foods"). With these abundant numbers, one may ask, what exactly is a GMO? A genetically modified organism is a living organism whose genetic material has been artificially manipulated through genetic engineering in order to express preferred physiological traits for the production of desired products (Collins, "Fact or Myth: Do Genetically Modified Foods Cause Cancer, Lung Damage & Birth Defects?"). With the introduction of GMOs in 1994, millions of Americans have since consumed them on a daily basis. However, the effects that GMOs have on the health of those who consume them is still in question. As time progressed after the initial introduction of GMOs, they have become more and more controversial amongst Americans; however, the study between the connection of GMOs, cancer, obesity, and allergies has not been a top priority for the United States as a whole.

Prior to the GMO introduction in American food, no human clinical trials were conducted in order to provide evidence that the organisms were safe for consumption. To this day, Monsanto, the world's largest biotech company, feels it is difficult and impractical to design and perform long-term safety tests on humans ("Newsroom"). On the other hand, because GMOs cannot be proven safe, twenty-six countries have taken preventative measures with either total or partial bans on GMOs, while sixty other countries have significant restrictions in place in regards to GMOs and their use (Bello, "Twenty-Six Countries Ban GMOs-Why Won't the US?"). Why is the United States, one of the world's leading countries, not taking such precautionary steps when it comes to the health of its citizens?

The United States is in the top ten countries with the highest cancer rates ("Data for cancer frequency by country | World Cancer Research Fund International"). Recently, several experiments on animals, specifically rats, have begun to display the possible link between genetically modified organisms and the increasing risk of cancer. The Underground Reporter, Newsmax, and EWG all provide instances in which experiments were conducted on animals and the results were conclusive in the development of cancer after consuming GMOs. A study mentioned by the Underground Reporter demonstrates rats that were fed genetically modified soy had offspring with low birth weights as well as higher infertility and mortality rates than those fed a non-GMO diet (Phillips, "Link or no link? Controversy simmers over allergies and genetically modified food | Harvest Public Media"). Another study indicated a link between cancer in rats and the consumption of genetically modified potatoes (Phillips, "Link or no link? Controversy simmers over allergies and genetically modified food | Harvest Public Media"). One of the most popular, yet most controversial studies is that led by Gilles-Eric Seralini. Seralini's research indicated tumor growth in rats after the consumption of herbicides that are used on GMOs (Chilson, "Is There Evidence GMO Foods Cause Cancer?").

Lastly, the Environmental Working Group references a report in which the International Agency for Research on Cancer concludes that glyphosate, the main herbicide utilized on GMOs, definitely causes cancer in animals, and is probably carcinogenic to humans as well. Due to this, California has requested the addition of glyphosate to its list of known carcinogens (Cassidy, "Did you know that Monsanto's glyphosate doubles the risk of cancer?"). Glyphosate has also been found in food residues, specifically in six out of eight tofu samples studied (Cassidy, "Did you know that Monsanto's glyphosate doubles the risk of cancer?"). With the commercial launch of Bt Corn (Bacillus Thuringiensis) in 1996, major biotech organizations spent millions of dollars insisting that the insecticide produced within the corn posed no danger to human health because of its ability to break down inside of the digestive system (Spaeth, "GMO Study: OMG, You're Eating Insecticide... - Food Integrity Now"). However, recent studies from Canada have proved that not only is the insecticide not broken down during digestion, it circulates in the blood and can also be passed along to a developing fetus (Spaeth, "GMO Study: OMG, You're Eating Insecticide... - Food Integrity Now"). Although many studies have come upon evidence that suggest a connection between GMOs and cancer, most research has been found inconclusive due to small sample sizes, insufficient evidence, or other scientific critiques. Until the United States demands enhanced testing, the duty to relate the connection of GMOs and cancer lies mainly with the consumer.

Obesity has increased substantially throughout the United States in the last few decades and some say GMOs have a large part in the rising rates. GMOs are prevalent in foods that are unhealthy for consumers such as frozen foods, prepackaged dinners, cookies, soda, snacks, and more. GMOs are considered an aid in feeding the junk food industry; however, they may not necessarily be a direct contributor to obesity, but rather indirect (Thomas, "Eat GMOs, get fat?"). Also, both fats and sugars are considered to be the main by-products of genetically modified organisms, but the fats and sugars can't be to blame whereas the person choosing to eat them can certainly be held responsible (Thomas, "Eat GMOs, get fat?"). On the other hand, are there adverse effects of GMOs that may contribute to the rising obesity rates? One example is presented in the article "Eat GMOs, Get fat?" by Pat Thomas, where the research mentioned is making headway in the support of the connection in which GMOs inhibit the body's ability to digest certain proteins. Similarly, the pesticides used on GMO crops effects the gut of animals, so it is possible that it can have a similar effect on humans and disrupt the proper absorption of nutrients from the food ingested, ultimately leading to enhanced obesity (Thomas, "Eat GMOs, get fat?").

Food allergies have spiked tremendously in children under the age of eighteen since the introduction of GMOs in 1994. In simplistic terms, an allergy occurs when the body sees protein in food as a foreign invader; therefore, claims have been made that the rise in "foreign invaders" come from the new proteins introduced with genetically modified organisms, which then attributes to the increasing allergy rates in the United States. Proteins are formulated within GMOs that are not contained in an original organism. These proteins consist of new genetic makeup that can cause an allergic reaction in humans (Mandel, "GMO Food Pros and Cons"). Throughout the years, Robyn O'Brien has become an expert in this area after experiencing an incident in which her own child suffered from a severe food related allergic reaction. Robyn presents an array of statistics from reputable sources in the form of a TEDx Talk, supporting the connection between allergies and GMOs. For example, from 1997 to 2002, the amount of peanut allergies in the United States has doubled ("TEDxAustin Robyn O'Brien 2011. | Robyn O'Brien | TEDx Talks"). One out of seventeen children under the age of three have a food related allergy ("TEDxAustin Robyn O'Brien 2011. | Robyn O'Brien | TEDx Talks"). According to the Center for Disease Control, there has been a 265% increase in the rate of hospitalizations related to food allergic reactions ("TEDxAustin Robyn O'Brien 2011. | Robyn O'Brien | TEDx Talks"). All of these statistics show rising rates in food related allergic reactions that have occurred after the introduction of GMOs in 1994. Although no conclusive evidence has been found, allergies have increased overall from 3.4 percent in 197-99 to 5.1 percent in 2009-11, according to the National Center for Health Statistics (Mandel, "GMO Food Pros and Cons"). With all of these statistics, how can the connection not be scientifically valid? One example is that data on food allergies was not consistently collected prior to the introduction of GMOs in society; therefore, how can we tell if the rise in allergies is a direct correlation to GMOs (Phillips, "Link or no link? Controversy simmers over allergies and genetically modified food | Harvest Public Media")?

One simple way to get around the risk of GMO related illness is to buy organic. One negative aspect of this idea is the cost associated with it. Farming organically is much more expensive for not only the consumer, but for the farmer too. For example, a farmer who grows organic produce will need more labor due to less chemical use, has a higher cost of fertilizer, pays harvest handling fees to prevent cross-contamination, organic certification fees, labeling fees, and the overall price it costs for farmers to produce better livestock and farming conditions ("10 reasons organic food is so expensive"). When asked about farming organically, a third generation farmer from Indiana, Jon Lawyer states, "With all of the rules and regulations, it is much too difficult to farm organically. Also, it is more cost effective to utilize genetically modified organisms because of the fees associated with organic farming. Unfortunately, the cost is lower and the yield is higher so if I want to continue farming, a hobby I love, I will need to go on using genetically modified seeds" (Lawyer).

If planting organically is too expensive, and there are too many differing opinions on GMOs and their safety, a major question is why the United States does not require labeling of all GMO products? After all, don't Americans have a right to know what is in their food, especially if it has the potential to increase diseases such as cancer, allergies, or obesity? More than 90% of Americans are in support of the mandatory labeling of all products that contain genetically modified organisms ("Right to Know Center | Just Label It"). Nevertheless, biotech companies' worry they will lose business because labels will drive fear into the consumer, while health food companies encourage labeling so that customers will be driven to their products containing natural ingredients (Caplan, "GMO Foods Should be Labeled, But Not For Safety: Bioethicist"). This issue is so controversial that it is currently making its way to the United States Congress. Recently, Vermont, Maine, and Connecticut have all passed laws requiring the labeling of food containing genetically modified organisms. In response, the U.S. Congress will soon receive a bill to vote whether individual states or cities can require GMO labeling (Caplan, "GMO Foods Should be Labeled, But Not For Safety: Bioethicist"). This begs the question, what is there to hide? Shouldn't the citizens of the United States be aware of the potential risks that are associated with the consumption of genetically modified foods and allowed the ability to make a conscious decision about the foods that they choose to consume, and/or feed their families?

With no scientific evidence providing absolute proof of the connection between GMOs and cancer, obesity, and allergies, what is the best way to proceed when it comes to the consumption of genetically modified organisms? Unfortunately, each argument has pros and cons in supporting and opposing the relationship between GMO consumption and the increasing rates of cancer, allergies, and obesity. Until the connection is linked 100% scientifically, the urgency to observe and process all facts presented with an open mind is essential. Many research studies have been executed on this controversial topic in order for Americans to see the possible side effects that coincide with genetically modified organisms. Afterall, what is more important: health and safety of the citizens of the United States or power and profit of companies within the agriculture and biotechnology industries? The debate over GMOs has turned into an industry war covering an array of issues, but while the industries fight, Americans continue to consume GMOs on a daily basis.

The need for a definitive answer is more important than ever, so the United States should make the study between increasing cancer, obesity, and allergy rates and the consumption of genetically modified organisms a high priority. The longer that Americans go on consuming foods without the knowledge behind what is inside of them, the more risk we are possibly taking at increasing rates of nationwide illness. Also, if we as a society are more educated on genetically modified organisms, we can participate and influence the laws and policies that are being made within the biotechnology and agriculture industries. Whether we support or oppose this method of producing food, it is vital that all of the information is presented up front with complete transparency to the American people. In the end, we are the ones consuming the products, so we should know what is inside of them as well as any side effects that are potential risks after consumption.

Works Cited
"GMOs and Your Family." The NonGMO Project RSS. Web. 19 Dec. 2015.
"Center for Food Safety | Issues | GE Foods | About GE Foods." Center for Food Safety. Web. 23 Dec. 2015.
Collins, Danica. "Fact or Myth: Do Genetically Modified Foods Cause Cancer, Lung Damage & Birth Defects?" Underground Health Reporter. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Dec. 2015.

"Newsroom." Commonly Asked Questions about the Food Safety of GMOs. Web. 6 Jan. 2016.
Bello, Walden. "Twenty-Six Countries Ban GMOs-Why Won't the US?" The Nation. 29 Oct. 2013. Web. 7 Jan. 2016.
"Data for Cancer Frequency by Country | World Cancer Research Fund International." Data for Cancer Frequency by Country | World Cancer Research Fund International. Web. 7 Jan. 2016.

Phillips, Camille. "Link or No Link? Controversy Simmers over Allergies and Genetically Modified Food | Harvest Public Media." Link or No Link? Controversy Simmers over Allergies and Genetically Modified Food | Harvest Public Media. Web. 23 Dec. 2015.

Chilson, Morgan. "Is There Evidence GMO Foods Cause Cancer?" Newsmax. Newsmax.com, 08 June 2015. Web. 17 Dec. 2015.
Cassidy, Emily. "Did You Know That Monsanto's Glyphosate Doubles the Risk of Cancer?" EWG. N.p., 6 Oct. 2015. Web. 18 Dec. 2015.
Spaeth, Matt. "GMO Study: OMG, You're Eating Insecticide... - Food Integrity Now." Food Integrity Now. 19 May 2011. Web. 7 Jan. 2016.
Thomas, Pat. "Eat GMOs, Get Fat?" Eat GMOs, Get Fat? 20 Feb. 2015. Web. 23 Dec. 2015.
Mandel, Ken. "GMO Food Pros and Cons." Newsmax. 11 June 2015. Web. 6 Jan. 2016.

O'Brien, Robyn. "TEDxAustin Robyn O'Brien 2011." TEDx Talks. N.p., 24 Mar. 2011. Web. 17 Dec. 2015.
"10 Reasons Organic Food Is so Expensive." Fox News. FOX News Network, 11 Mar. 2012. Web. 7 Jan. 2016.
Lawyer, Jon. "GMOs and Your Health." Telephone interview. 27 Dec. 2015.
"Right to Know Center | Just Label It." Right to Know Center | Just Label It. Web. 7 Jan. 2016.
Caplan, Arthur. "GMO Foods Should Be Labeled, But Not For Safety: Bioethicist." NBC News. 8 Sept. 2015. Web. 7 Jan. 2016.

Review:
1. My writing has always been weak in grammar and sentence structure, so review in that area is crucial!
2. I feel as if I may have too many sources for such a short paper.
3. My research seems redundant in a way, so I may need to revisit some of my original sources in which I did not end up utilizing.
brayan1996 17 / 34 5  
Hi emily,

It does seem like you have integrated a lot of evidence. However, the more evidence you have the better your points will be supported and thus encounter less disagreement. I don't know if this will help, but Why are you starting with evidence in some of your topic sentences. I don't know if this is okay to do because every time that I have written a research paper I strive to integrate my evidence after I have given a general overview of what will be discussed in my body paragraph. Try to making the introduction more eye opening and interesting, as it seems that you go straight to the facts here. Probably moving part of this information to your body paragraph and keeping you intro general may be good. Try to think about that.

Best,
Brayan F.
Emily, after reading and understanding your essay, what I noticed straight away is
how you incorporated the work citation in the sentences itself and not only in the work
citation page. This is a huge step in making sure that the research you are conducting in
this paper is from a reliable source and getting that information right of the bat is an absolutely good idea.

More so, your word choice is great, it is in a level that any reader would understand, it's conversational
and the words are easy to understand. The presentation of the paragraphs are also good, however,
I suggest that you still put a space between the paragraphs to add that formal appeal to your paper.

Nevertheless, you have all the facts and information drawn from a reliable source and that for me is a great
asset in your paper.

Home / Research Papers / "GMOs and Your Health" - Review and critique my research essay for ENG 102