Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 4

Qi-gong -research Paper Help for a health class

lafleur_08 1 / 1  
I have to do a research paper for a health class I'm taking. It is on Qi-gong, which is an ancient Chinese form of energy balancing - similar to Tai Chi. The paper content needs to consist of the history of Qi-Gong, a description of the field, and the pros and cons. My english is not the best in the world, so I was hoping for some assistance...some editing and advice...rewording suggestions, etc.

Here is my very rough....and I mean ROUGH...draft:

Qi Gong is an ancient form of energy balancing. It is over 5000 years old. Some historians believe Qi Gong may date back as far as the Stone Age. It is difficult to be sure of the age of Qi Gong because until recently, Qi Gong was kept secret in the monasteries and temples in china. Often monks used mandalas, mantras and mudras and breath work, along with specific exercises, to help them feel a higher sense of self. The word Qi means energy work, and the word Gong is the practical method of application. Originally Qi Gong was used more for religious purpose, but was then later associated with martial arts, Kung Fu being the most popular. Most forms of Qi Gong can be traced back to either the Taoist or Buddhist school. The religious era of Qi Gong was from approximately 206BC-557AD. The next era of Qi Gong was taught in the schools of the Taoist and Buddhist. They taught students how to develop fighting skills as well as being physically healthy and having exceptional concentration. The last era of Qi Gong put most of the emphasis on physical arts. There are three tresures of Qi Gong: they are Jing meaning essence, Qi meaning energy, and Shen meaning spirit. The Monks believe that these are the things that make up the root of our lives and our essential to our health. This is why it is important to keep them in balance. It is believed that when the bodies Qi is out of balance it caused illness and discomfort.

There are two types of Qi Gong Passive and active. As stated in the book Qi Gong for beginners, by Standley D. Wilson, Ph.D. "Active Qi Gong refersts to many Different sets of exercises that empahasize the roll of movement, breathing, and concentration. Passive Qi Gong does not involve movement and refers to the many meditative practices that calm and empty the mind (pg 17)." The physical part of Qi Gong is meant to restore health and balance to the body. The spiritual side is, "a way of developing one's essence, energy, and spirit to live in harmony with ourselves and the world (pg 17.)"

One of the most important things that tie all aspects of Qi Gong together is our breath. A Sanskrit proverb reads, "For breath is life, and if you breathe well you will live long on earth." Abdominal or "Dan Tien" breathing is very important to this practice. Proper breathing is believed to be necessary for good health. Abdominal breathing is a slow breath brought deep down into the abdomen filling as full as you can, and then making a complete exhalation before the next inhalation. The idea is to breath slowly and lowering the number of breaths that is required that you take in a minutes time. By breathing more fully it requires that you needing to take a breath less often.

One of major bonuses of Qi Gong is that when the body is brought back into balance it is able to heal itself. It will be able to do this without the aid of modern technology and with no medication. It is believe that when the body is in sync and healthy, illness cannot intrude. It is also believed that illness is nothing more then a bodily imbalance, and that by taking such measures as medication; you are not healing the problem, but rather covering up the symptoms of it. Even though the symptoms are temporarily at ease, the problem is still exists. The author of the book Qi Gong for beginners tells of how he had cancer, and they only gave him five years to live. He did two rounds of chemo and radiation, every time the symptoms would subside and with the end of treatment. He asked his doctors if he could try a more holistic approach, and they agreed. He took two months and did the Qi Gong along with meditations, and cured his cancer. This was possible because he worked with the Qi in his own body. We all have the ability within ourselves to heal ourselves. Often we just don't know how.

Anyone can do the mindfulness part of Qi Gong with the right training. Most should be able to do the soft flowing movements of Qi Gong. There are several positive aspects of the healing power of Qi Gong. Here is a list of things Qi Gong has the potential of helping: headaches, stress, insomnia, arthritis, back pain, joint pain, muscle weakness, respiratory problems, building immune system, help with circulation, mental disease, chronic pain, improves posture and balance, increases blood flow to the brain, and cancer. However this is not a complete list; you can see the many benefits of this practice. There were no published downsides of Qi Gong however; one might be limited by a physical condition. There is also the matter of finding time to fit Qi Gong into you daily life that may pose a problem.

Thanks in advance!!
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

I think you've written a very interesting essay! Here are some editing suggestions for you:

Qi Gong was kept secret in the monasteries and temples in China.

Originally, Qi Gong was used more for religious purposes,

The Monks believe that these are the things that make up the root of our lives and are essential to our health.

It is believed that when the body's Qi is out of balance it causes illness and discomfort.

There are two types of Qi Gong: passive and active.

As stated in the book, Qi Gong for Beginners, by Standley D. Wilson, Ph.D., "Active

One of the most important things that ties all aspects of Qi Gong together is our breath.

The idea is to breathe slowly and lower the number of breaths required in one minute. By breathing more fully, a person can breathe less often.

It is believed that when the body is in sync and healthy, illness cannot intrude.

It is also believed that illness is nothing more than a bodily imbalance, and that by taking such measures as medication, you are not healing the problem, but rather covering up the symptoms of it.

Even though the symptoms are temporarily at ease, the problem still exists. The author of the book, Qi Gong for Beginners,

He did two rounds of chemo and radiation, every time the symptoms would subside and with the end of treatment. - This does not really make sense as written.

improving posture and balance, increasing blood flow to the brain, and cancer.

There were no published downsides of Qi Gong, however, one might be limited by a physical condition. There is also the matter of finding time to fit Qi Gong into your daily life that may pose a problem.

You might want to add a sentence or two of summary as a conclusion. Good work!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
OP lafleur_08 1 / 1  
Thank you, Sarah!

Is there anything else I could change or maybe expand on/rearrange?
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

You might want, at the end, to suggest ways people could fit Qi Gong into their daily life. You have made it sound like something that would be good for everyone, but, as you say, many people would probably have difficulty incorporating it into their routines. Perhaps you could suggest ways to do this: for students, during study breaks; for office workers, on the lunch hour; for anyone who relaxes at home at night, could it be done while watching T.V.? Maybe you can think of some better suggestions.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com

Home / Research Papers / Qi-gong -research Paper Help for a health class