Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 8

Help me choose a research question for a thesis from specified topics

lfc1892 1 / 4 1  
I have a module this year in my course called Technical Writing. My assignment is a 3000 word essay on one of the following themes:

1/ Technology and the human mind
2/ Technology and freedom
3/ Technology and human progress

From this, I have to come up with a question relating to one of these to write a thesis on. It must be very specific and we cannot write about social media or military drones (think he has read too many over the years). I also cant write on anything to do with my course. An example of a research question under technology and human progress of the top of my head would be 'How has infrared technology helped in predicting volcanic eruptions".

I have to have at least 30 pieces of information/questions backed up with references (we are using the cornell note taking system), so there must be plenty of sources on the topic such as books, journals or case studies.

I would love to hear any of your suggestions for which theme I should use and what research question I should use.
Liliy 12 / 13 6  
Let me help you make some possible question, if i might become examiner for 1/ Technology and the human mind topic. these are just my imagination so as to help you. Therefore, you have to find from book or journal to get the corelation between the question and the fact or theory in some books.

1. If you have an opportunity to stay away with poverty people what will you do with technology to develop their live ? which a part of technology will you use?

2. is it possible that technology will be a part of life in human while there are a lot of disadvantages on it especially for children's habit?

3. How will be possible technology becomes an anourmos part to tackle flood in inland area especially flood disaster?

I hope that these will help you to build your ideas for your thesis.
OP lfc1892 1 / 4 1  
Thanks, Liliy. I will do some research on the questions you have proposed and see how much information there is on each proposal.

Any more suggestions, guys? I want to have lots and decide on which one to do based on my interest on the topic, the amount of sources available and whether or not I think it will interest my lecturer.
OP lfc1892 1 / 4 1  
Anyone have any more ideas? Although this part of the assignment isnt due for a week or so, I would like to get on top of it tomorrow.
My suggestion is that you try to find a good thesis under Topic 3: Technology and the Human Progress. Some of my suggested topics under this would be:

1. Isaac Asimov said that the prime directive for robots is "To protect human life". In Japan, robots are becoming more and more an integral part of daily life for their citizens. The robot butler and maids are an indispensable part of elder life as well. Explain how these robots can prove to be detrimental and harmful to the everyday existence of man.

2. Technology now exists that allows robots to learn from humans. In effect, man is now not just an inventor of robots, but also his physical teacher. Allowing the robot to learn multiple tasks different from what it was originally conceived to do. This opportunity to have robots take over some human tasks proves to be financially beneficial to companies because they employ less humans who require regular salaries as opposed to one time purchases of "trainable" robots. The humans also benefit because as "operators" of these robots, they are protected from various work related dangers. The problem is that because robots now do most of the work, human progress has been affected. Explain the negative side of allowing robots to take over too much human work related activities. Will too much technology limit the progress of humans?

3. It is said that technology tends to stunt the intellectual development of humans because of the automaton nature of using it. The medical profession is afraid that use of these gadgets and technology will prevent the human mind from developing its full thought potential and lead to various brain related illnesses in the future. Discuss these concerns and why the use of technology should be limited to a certain degree.

I don't know if any of my suggestions will be helpful or acceptable to you or your professor but I gave it a shot. Good luck in developing your paper :-)
OP lfc1892 1 / 4 1  
Those are some good suggestions. Interesting to write on and plenty of sources too, i'd imagine. Ill definitely have a robotics question as an option.

Any more suggestions?
OP lfc1892 1 / 4 1  
Any more suggestions, folks?
All the topics on your research are very interesting, given time, I would love to write for all the topics, however, one that stands out is;

Technology and freedom

Apart from the fact that our world is technology driven, there are a lot of unanswered questions and theories that hopefully your research will shed light to. This is basically like a question and answer portion which will be fun as well as mind boggling.

So, i have lined up a few start ups for you;

- How does technology affect our daily life
- how are we without technology advancement
- are we going to make it without these advances in technology, if yes, how, if no, why
- Given the technology we know now, why can't we be independent and live without it
- freedom from technology, can we or we can't
- weighing the pros and cons, does the advances in technology really matter

This are just a few questions I thought of, I will get back to you as soon as I have any additional questions that will help your essay.

Home / Research Papers / Help me choose a research question for a thesis from specified topics