Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 5

Help with narrowing down research question and thesis

yangstauwm 1 / 1  
Hi EssayForum,

First off I found a topic and issue. Communication issues in online classrooms. I noticed the word "issues" makes my research question too broad. I am uncertain as how I can narrow down my research question.

Do I have to bring out the research question or can I just bring out the thesis in the introductory?

I plan to argue against online classrooms. I have collected alot of data, but I dont know how to present the data. Most of the data constitutes for cons of online classrooms.

Should I write about the traditional value as my first paragraph in the body?

Well I'm also not certain of my outline either. I have read the post about creating the outline last. -very informative

I just dont know how to put my data together. Well this is what I was thinking about for my outline.

I. Introduction
a. Thesis
II. Body
a. Traditional values, pros for traditional classroom
i. Facts
ii. Facts
iii. Facts
b. Cons of online classrooms
i. Structure
ii. Academic Integrity - dishonest
iii. Disadvantages
c. LOST, I haven't thought of what to write
III. Conclusion

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
yangstauwm
What is your research question currently? Something along the lines of "Are online classes better than, worse than, or equivalent to regular classes in terms of the quality of education provided?" That seems fairly specific to me. You could narrow down even more, I suppose, by carefully outlining your definition of what constitutes a quality education. Your outline could be tweaked by adding a section on the pros of online classrooms. In this sort of essay, it is important to address the arguments put forth by the other side. For that matter, you could have a section on the cons of the traditional classroom too, so that you are comparing one set of pros and cons to another set of pros and cons. That would give you a more thorough, balanced assessment to work with.

I don't understand what you mean by this, above. Look at some studies that are similar to the one you want to create and see in what order they present research questions, thesis, etc. But really, the thesis question/statement is MOST important, and you should introduce it right away.

As for narrowing down communication "issues"... oh, I agree with Sean. And it really is a great topic! Digitizing out lives in the 21st century can create great improvements, but it can also enable corners to be cut. That would be my theme. I would argue that online classroomms are only good as supplements to traditional programs or to bring education to parts of the world where it is not available... but NOT as a convenient alternative to face-to-face instruction. I have taken online classes, and they are NOT equivalent to in-person classes. I don't think it needs to be narrowed too much. BUT, your thesis statement actually serves to narrow it somewhat.

The outline looks good, but as you work, you might change the outline.

Don't write about "traditional values." This is about effectiveness. How about interviewing people who argue various points about the issue, and focusing the interviews on EFFECTIVENESS. The purposes of education include preparing people for jobs, preserving culture, freeing the mind, teaching people to think and analyze, etc...

You need to present an idea of what it means for education to be effective, and then begin your assessment.

I agree with you, and I am excited to hear more about your project. education is too important to have us cutting corners. there is a big difference between using technology to enhance and using it to save tie and money. Only enhancement is appropriate.
OP yangstauwm 1 / 1  
Wow, Thank you Sean and Kevin.

Here is what I came up with for my introduction.

Post secondary education trains the elites of the world through many manifestations of teaching. Teaching has expanded beyond classrooms of small size to classrooms consisting of 200 plus students. The increasing complexity of technology has given humans the ability to socially participate through the World Wide Web. It has been weaved into the learning experiences of many students. However complex society becomes, efficiency does not always yield effectiveness. Online classrooms allow students to learn through a limited screen and only see teachings one dimensional. Learning is a social behavior and limiting it to a screen deprives the complexity of social interactions.

I plan to revise it but not certain yet.

Do you guys think this introduction will allow me to cover a 10 page essay double space? I have until May to complete. I'm slowly progressing.

Thanks again,
Yangstauwm
"Online classrooms allow students to learn through a limited screen and only see teachings one dimensionally. Learning is a social behavior and limiting it to a screen deprives the students of the complexity of social interactions."

If you just plan to discuss these points, then no, you probably can't stretch this to 10 pages. If, before dealing with these points, you were to address some of the obvious arguments in favor of online classrooms, you'd probably be okay. So, imagine as you write the paper that you have someone standing over your shoulder reading your paper who is absolutely convinced that online classrooms are better than traditional ones. Try to imagine what comments this person would make as you were writing, then how you would respond to them. That's the way to forge a convincing case. How would you respond, for instance, to the following:

Online classrooms are great because they massively cut down on the potential for bullying or distracting behaviors.

Online classrooms also allow even shy students to participate in class discussions without fear.

Online lessons also provide transcripts that students can review on their own time, at their own pace. They never have to miss anything because they are struggling to keep up.

Anyone who isn't already on your side (and many who are) will probably think of these things as they read your paper, so if your paper just ignores them, it will be unsatisfying and unconvincing. You have to explain why these points are invalid, or, if you admit that they are valid, why the cons of online classrooms outweigh these pros.

Home / Research Papers / Help with narrowing down research question and thesis