Home / Research Papers   % width NEW!

Holistic Treatments of Alzheimer's Disease, Fact or Fiction

pott 1 / -  
Instructions:
Submit your essay to Essay Forum. Essay Forum is a free, online peer review board moderated by top students, including graduate students and professors. After registering, you can submit the text of your essay with some guidelines for the review, such as your three areas of weakness or the description of the research paper project provided above. Do note that because this is a volunteer-based service, you may have to wait to get feedback. You can read more about this service at Essay Forum's Frequently Asked Questions.

Assignment:

Holistic Treatments of Alzheimer's
Disease, Fact or Fiction

Patrick Ott
English 102
Monica Gryder
May 11, 2012

Patrick Ott
Monica Gryder
English 102
11 May 2012
It was a beautiful spring day at the park when I noticed a grandfather and grandson eating ice cream cones, playing on the jungle gym, and laughing endlessly. I thought to myself, it is moments like these that create memories for millions of grandparents that will last a lifetime unless, like my grandfather, they are diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. The development of Alzheimer's disease will cause these lifelong memories to prematurely vanish because of the mind robbing effects that are caused by this life altering disease. There are currently millions of people in the United States living with some stage of Alzheimer's disease, a degenerative neurological disease and, the most common form of dementia which normally worsens as it progresses. Statistics indicate that Alzheimer's disease has been increasing at an alarming rate, and it is expected that the rate of this disease will continue to increase until a cure is discovered, or alternative preventative methods, such as holistic medicines, are accepted by the medical community as an available preventative method, or treatment option for families struggling with this disease. Medicinal treatment options are not currently available for the prevention of Alzheimer's disease. The medicines that are prescribed to patients are intended to be used to treat the symptoms associated with this disease, not for the prevention of this disease. Studies on treatment processes and medicines that prevent or delay the onset of Alzheimer's disease have produced disappointing, inconsistent results however, these tests have indicated that there is a connection between certain modifiable lifestyle factors that, when utilized holistically, can assist with reducing the likely hood of developing Alzheimer's disease, and can aid in treating the symptoms caused by development of this disease. Adopting holistic lifestyle changes such as a healthy diet, regular exercise, stress management, and increased intellectual activities can be a more effective, less costly alternative option for preventing, or treating the symptoms associated with Alzheimer's disease than the traditional approach of prescribing medicines to the alarming number of patients that are currently being diagnosed with this debilitating disease. Using holistic methods can be beneficial by helping patients and caregivers, usually a family member, cope with the adversities associated with Alzheimer's disease. These lifestyle changes can assist with allowing somebody that develops Alzheimer's disease live the remainder of their life as normal, and as comfortable as possible.

Genetics, environment, lifestyles, and head trauma can all contribute to the likely hood of developing Alzheimer's disease later in life, but aging is the greatest known risk of this disease. The rapid increase of elderly people currently being diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease is directly proportional to the increase of America's aging population and life expectancy. "In 2004 one in every eight American's - 36.3 million - were aged 65 years or older. By 2030 this number is expected to nearly double to 71.5 million. At this time, 20% of the population will be at this age group"("The Healthy Brain Anitiative"12). Because of the sharp increase of elderly people living in the United States, if nothing is done soon, it is predicted that treating the amount of people that will be diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease in the future will be emotionally devastating to families, and may have a crippling effect on the United State's economy. Research that is currently being used in finding traditional methods of preventing Alzheimer's disease is a costly time consuming endeavor that needs to continue because of the alarming rate in which American's are currently being diagnosed with this disease, but the future research should also include studies of holistic alternatives to the traditional approach.

The medical community's common goal is to continue developing preventative methods while attempting to find a cure for Alzheimer's disease. Until then a holistic approach to treat the symptoms caused by this disease can be more effective, less costly, and may produce fewer side affects than traditional medicines that are currently being prescribed to patients for treatment of Alzheimer's disease symptoms. Dharma Singh Khalsa, M.D., states "Since Alzheimer's disease is a multi-factorial disease, with nutrition, chronic stress, and lifestyle choices being among the most important factors, a solution that works holistically to address each of these factors is critical" ("The 4 Pillars of Alzheimer's Prevention "2). The development of Alzheimer's disease causes lifelong difficulties such as memory loss, trouble walking, aggressiveness, irritability, confusion, mood swings, speech impairments and wandering, which worsen as the disease progresses. Patients, including my grandfather, that develop Alzheimer's disease tend to wander quite frequently, and wandering is one of the most prevalent symptoms associated with this disease. Wandering away from the home can occur at any stage of Alzheimer's disease, but the frequency of wandering increases as the cognitive stimulation from daily activities decrease. A holistic approach treats the entire body, not just the brain which is beneficial in maintaining metal stability and cognitive health, and can aaist with alleviating some of the symptoms, including wandering, associated with developing Alzheimer's disease . A holistic method modifies lifestyle factors such as a person's diet, exercise routine, mental stimulation, and stress levels to assist in reducing the severity of many symptoms that are caused by Alzheimer's disease and can also assist in preventative methods to reduce the risk factors of developing this disease. Incorporating holistic lifestyle modifications during the treatment Alzheimer's disease is not intended to take the place of convention treatment methods, but should be a viable option available, and should be taken into consideration by patients and caregivers, which are usually family members, when assisting a loved one to live as much of a normal life as possible.

Understanding the elements of prevention, and harnessing the power of a holistic medical approach can be crucial in protecting yourself from the risks associated with developing Alzheimer's disease, and can be beneficial to a family member that is trying to cope with the symptoms caused by this disease. One aspect of a holistic approach in treating Alzheimer's disease is to manage stress levels. Excessive stress will damage the brains memory cells, which will increase the rate of memory loss caused by Alzheimer's disease. Stress management techniques such as meditation or deep breathing exercises will reduce stress, lower blood pressure, and cholesterol levels which if not kept at a healthy level can affect your cognitive stability. Another component of a holistic approach is to provide mental stimulation for people that have been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. "Studies have found an association between lifelong involvement in mentally and socially stimulating activities and reduced risk of Alzheimer's disease" ("Alzheimer's Disease"5) and therefore should be incorporated into patients daily activities. Staying mentally active while partaking in activities such as communicating with people, reading, playing a musical instrument, playing strategy games, maintaining an active social life, or learning a new language stimulates the brain, and can assist somebody that develops Alzheimer's disease by keeping the brain mentally sharp while strengthening cognitive health. A third component of a holistic approach for treating and preventing Alzheimer's disease is to maintain quality sleep habits. Just like your body the brain requires, regular, restful sleep to operate at optimum capacity. Sleep deprivation impairs your ability to think, solve problems, and recall information. Establishing a regular sleep schedule, and getting at least eight hours of quality sleep each night will be beneficial to your brains health. Another component of a holistic approach to treating Alzheimer's disease is to incorporate regular exercise such as walking, swimming, resistance training, gardening, cleaning or any other physical activities into your daily activities. These activities raise the heart rate which will slow the deterioration of cognitive health, and can retain the mental stability of patients that have been diagnosed Alzheimer's disease. Additional benefits of treating Alzheimer's disease by incorporating a regular exercise routine is that it will reduce stress, improve your mood, improve your memory, and increase your energy level. Adopting a regular exercise routine and a healthy diet are two of the most important holistic elements that can be utilized as part of a wellness plan which, if implemented and followed, will improve a patient's mood, maintain joint health, and assist with quality sleep habits, all elements that are beneficial to maintaining physical and mental health.

Maintaining a healthy diet using a holistic lifestyle approach to the treatment and prevention of Alzheimer's disease has the most options available to a patient, or caregiver, and can incorporate an almost unlimited supply of nutritional ingredients that, when consumed, can result in a variety of desired outcomes. Research on using nutritional medicine for Alzheimer's disease treatment and prevention has found that a diet rich with antioxidants can protect your brain cells against the damage caused by toxins from the environment, or within your own body, and can assist in repairing cells that are already damaged. Common forms of antioxidants include vitamin C, vitamin E, as well as Omega 3 fatty oils which have shown to slow the progression, and improve the cognitive functions that are typically impaired by the development of this disease. Another valuable antioxidant is vitamin B12. This is a complex vitamin that is involved with the production of energy from food, and is important in maintaining proper nerve function. The consumption of vitamin B12 can reduce the risks of developing Alzheimer's disease, and can be useful for the treatment of people that already have this disease. The daily consumption of nutritional foods can be monitored, and adjusted to accommodate the requirements of the individual that is being treated. Dark colored fruits and vegetables are rich in antioxidants and vitamins C and E. Salmon, tuna and other oily fish are rich in Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids and are beneficial during the early stages of Alzheimer's disease. Leafy green vegetables, asparagus, avocados, and fruits such as bananas and oranges, meat, poultry, and fish contain a high concentration of vitamin B12. Ginkgo biloba is found in most green teas and, when consumed, assists with healthy blood circulation, and the supply of oxygen to the brain, which can help improve memory and maintain cognitive functions which can protect against Alzheimer's disease. Herbs such as rosemary, dill, and oregano are rich with antioxidants, and can improve brain function. One nutritional option that is recommended for the treatment and prevention of Alzheimer's disease is maintaining a Mediterranean diet "The components of a Mediterranean diet, which include fruit and vegetables, bread, wheat and other cereals, olive oil, and red wine, may all individually or together reduce the risk and course of Alzheimer's disease" ("Alzheimer's Disease"9). This just one of the many diet plans that are available and should be considered as a preventative method, or treatment option, by patients diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. There are foods that should be avoided when using holistic methods of treating Alzheimer's disease. Insulin spiking "white foods" such as sugar, white flour, crackers, bread, pretzels, and pasta should be minimally consumed or eliminated from a diet altogether when treating Alzheimer's disease. One of the best ways to assist with maintaining memory is to reduce the trans-fat and saturated fats, which if continued to be consumed at an elevated rate, can damage or even kill your remaining healthy brain cells. Incorporating a healthy diet plan can be an important element of a holistic lifestyle that can assist with alleviating many of the patient's symptoms caused by Alzheimer's disease, and can also be utilized by caregivers to reduce the emotional and physical stress that comes with caring for a loved one that has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.

When a family member is diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease, more often than not, a family member volunteers to be a caregiver, and in some cases if no other options are available they are forced to become the caregiver. The patient is not the only person that feels the effects of Alzheimer's disease. Friends, family, and relatives that are faced with the daunting task of caring for a beloved relative during the remaining years of their life are also affected by the diagnosis of this disease. "Caring for a person with Alzheimer's disease is often a stressful and demanding ordeal. We need to remember that caregivers have human needs and emotions, and that they must care for themselves as well as their loved one to help cope with the strain of caregiving, it is important to allow oneself to feel varying emotions, including negative ones, express them and deal with them" ("Caregiving"1). Adopting holistic lifestyle changes such as a healthy diet, regular exercise, and stress management while caring for a loved one diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease be beneficial to the patient and the caregiver. These lifestyle modifications be used by the caregiver to aid in coping with the immediate emotions that range from grief, to embarrassment, to anger, and finally guilt. The guilt and grief are emotions that are typically associated when first finding out that a love one has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease, and that they will not be able to live the remainder of their short life expectancy without pain, discomfort, and confusion that is caused by this disease. A diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease typically ends the normal and comfortable lifestyle that a person has enjoyed for decades. Many times the caregiver becomes embarrassed by some of the typical actions that people with Alzheimer's disease display in public such as wandering, confusion, and speech impairments. The burden of caring for this beloved family member can become annoying, and overwhelming at times. Sometimes the caregiver just needs to back off and take some time off from the constant supervision that is required to care for somebody living with Alzheimer's disease. This time can be used by the caregiver relax to reflect on the situation. During this period the caregiver should never blame themselves for the situation, and should always consider requesting assistance from friends and other family members. Caregivers are crucial for people that are caring for loved ones that are living with the symptoms caused by Alzheimer's disease. These caregivers are priceless, and should use a holistic lifestyle approach to maintain physical and mental stability during these extremely complicated times of their lives.

Hearing the news that a family member has been tested positive for Alzheimer's disease can be emotionally devastating for a family, and this news has recently become more prevalent than ever before because of vast increase of America's aging population, which is a huge contributing factor in the number of people that are currently being diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. This increase of people developing Alzheimer's disease can be fiscally challenging for a family, and can cause an economic burden on the United States. Nobody can place a price on a loved one's quality of life, and most families would be willing to give everything they own to allow a family member that has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease live a normal happy and, as long of a life as possible. Traditional medicines are currently the only option that is available for treating Alzheimer's disease, but these medicines are typically very expensive, and are sometimes not very effective in treating this disease. A holistic approach to treating Alzheimer's disease can be less costly than using prescription drugs, and uses readily available sources to prevent and treat the symptoms of this disease. A holistic approach treats the body, and the mind by modifying, and incorporating lifestyle factors that assist in alleviating the discomforts that are caused by Alzheimer's disease. Holistic resources are available now, and do not require costly, time consuming testing procedures or approval prior to use. We must continue to research, and test for a cure to Alzheimer's disease, but if a cure is not discovered soon we should also be prepared to have the adequate resources available to aid with the increasing number of people that will diagnosed with this disease in the future. Incorporating holistic lifestyle modifications during the treatment stages of Alzheimer's disease should be taken into consideration by patients and caregivers and should be considered as a preferable option over convention treatment methods until a cure for this disease is discovered. Every time I hear my grandfather asking when his wife, who has been gone for over five years now, is going to be home from work, I know that there must be a more effective treatment option than what is currently available. A holistic approach to treating Alzheimer's disease may not be a perfect method, but I feel incorporating the concepts of this method will be beneficial to our family, and hopefully one day give us our grandfather back.

Works Cited

"Alzheimer's Disease": Mayo Clinic. 11 January 2011. Web. 17 April 2012.
"Caregiving": Alzheimers Disease Research. 10 January 2012. Web.19 April 2012.
Papaconstantinos, Helen BA, CNP, RNCP. "Root Cause of Alzheimer's Disease, Part 1":
1 January 2012. Web. 19 April 2012.
Smith, Melinda, MA. Wayne, Melissa MA. Segal Jeanne PhD. "Alzheimer's & Dementia Prevention": How to Reduce your Risk and Protect your Brain, Feb 2012. Web. 17 April 2012.

Soukup, James E. "Alzheimer's Disease: a Guide to Diagnosis, Treatment, and Management" 1996. Print.
"The Best Supplements to Prevent Alzheimer's and Senile Dementia": LiveStrong. Com,
10 November 2010. Web. 17 April 2012.
"The 4 Pillars of Alzheimer's Prevention". Alzheimer's Research & Prevention Foundation. 2011. Web. 2 May 2012. "The Healthy Brain Initiative": Alzheimer's Association, A National Public Health Road Map to Maintaining Cognitive Health. 2007. Web. 17 April 2012.

"The Holistic Versus Conventional Medicine": Health Care Tug-of-War, 2006. Web. 18 April 2012.
The three categories I feel that have been a burden during this semester, and areas in which my writing has shown weakness in the past are punctuation, run on sentences, and inserting quotations or summaries in MLA style.

It appears that the punctuations that I insert into sentences are sometimes, inappropriately used, or not utilized at the proper time of the of the sentence structure.

Run on sentences are also an issue that appears to prevalent in my writing style. I especially struggle with the conjunction "and" and where to place, or not place commas around this conjunction.

Inserting quotations and summaries in MLA style has been a challenge, at best, during this semester. And while I still try to continue to improve in this area, it appears that I still have a lot to learn about writing in the MLA s.

Home / Research Papers / Holistic Treatments of Alzheimer's Disease, Fact or Fiction